» Twitter
» Dev. Blog
» About Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

We have moved to /r/NobleMaster on Reddit...

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON) » DON: Feature Requests

Post subject: All
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 05:05 
Serf
Serf

Dear Mr. NobleMaster,

I am 'Ironshell' from "Demise of Nations". Not too long ago I purchased the 'All Maps & Modding' bundle. When I attempted to Mod I couldn't.

Now, this is due to the fact that I am forced to use the Mobile version of the game; I use a Chromebook, which is unable to run any software other than Android. When I try to Mod it says I can't because I need a computer mouse, when I do, in fact, have one. Apparently Chromebooks have Linux support, but you have to Powerwash the laptop, which deletes absolutely everything; i.e. a Factory Reset. There is one App for emulating Windows software, but after trying it, I discovered it is quite useless because it can't even run .exe files.

Demise of Nations is one of the only two games I ever play on this computer. I love it and its players. I want to contribute to the Modding Community.

So please, is there anyway Chromebook support could be added? Or perhaps Mobile Modding? I appreciate anything you can do, even just a simple response. :^^:

Sincerely, a Loyal Fan,
Ironshell

Post subject: Re: All
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 15:36 
Game Developer
Game Developer

OK, I created a new build with the editor enabled for Android:
http://www.noblemaster.com/private/deve ... id_mod.apk

I don't think it will work very well (if at all). It might crash for various reasons. It needs a lot of memory, I also wonder how well image parsing works? Give it a try and let me know how it goes?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 17:44 
Serf
Serf

Um... I have frustrating and even slightly embarrassing news. Basically, to install an APK file on a Chromebook(i.e. originating outside of Google Play), you need to have "Developer Mode" enabled. After some investigation of this 'Developer Mode', I discovered that in order to enable it, one must not only powerwash his laptop, but also take an immense Security risk as well during the long switch to Developer Mode. Now, why Google has to make this so ridiculously over-complicated, I don't know, but I am certainly not the only one on the Internet who thinks this whole process should be a lot simpler and safer :???: So I can't even tell you if this works or not.

I'm sorry Noblemaster, but in my defense, Google feels like they have to make their products so exclusive, which doesn't help them in any way.
But I really appreciate the quick response and attempted fix :^^:

Ironshell

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020, 22:50 
Game Developer
Game Developer

You'd really have to switch to developer mode? I think you just need to enable "Unknown sources" for apps to download & install!? I wonder? Just install the APK and then uncheck the setting gain?

If that works, one other problem is that you would need to download & unpack the template.ZIP file, it might be difficult to select from within the game. You need it to initialize the map. Recently Google has made it difficult to do anything much on Android. It makes Android safer but at the same time harder to do more than run just apps.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2020, 17:04 
Serf
Serf

You can enable Install from unknown sources, but that requires you to be on the Dev Channel Build, which, on my particular model, can only be reached by enabling Developer Mode, therefore defeating its purpose. I'm not sure about the .ZIP file.

Also, I agree, Google has made things unreasonably difficult. If these things can't be done, I understand that you have more pressing matters to tend to, and I certainly wouldn't blame or hold a grudge against you if you couldn't do anything about it.

Thanks,
Ironshell