» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON) » DON: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post subject: New 'Trace' Format
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 09:18 
Peasant
Peasant

If there was a third format as described below, who would use it, or at least want it to be implemented? Currently, the only formats available are 1x1 and 2x2, and for both of these it pushes down every other column to create the hex grid.

If you trace a map, however (like I did in a map I am making), the bundle gets all messed up with rivers getting split up because the map doesn't push down every other column. (Look at the image below)

What I mean by this is if you put
Code:
format=trace
in the bundle.config, then when making the bundle the game reads the maps differently. Instead of what it does now, it reads the map differently. I don't know the best way to do this, but potentially instead it could read every other column by giving every pixel +1 to the y coordinate and ignoring the first one?

No matter how it does this, the goal would be so that you can make a 1x1 pixel map by tracing an accurate world map, to make it way easier to design accurate maps. So if the third format were to push up every other column somehow I wonder if this would fix it. What do you all think?

Attachments:
Small Messed Up River.png
Small Messed Up River.png [ 418.43 KiB | Viewed 1142 times ]

Post subject: Re: New 'Trace' Format
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 22:16 
Game Developer
Game Developer

It's not that easily possible. HEX-grids have by nature every 2nd column shifted down which makes it difficult to nicely convert to a image 2D-format.

In any case, I should be able to come up with some algorithm who tries to parse rivers as nicely as possible. It might not be perfect but it should be able to parse images with the 1x1px per file format. I put it onto the todo-list to implement!

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 07:56 
Peasant
Peasant

You don't need to do all that! The game works fine on its own!

I think I am not describing my problem well enough. If every other column of pixels was pushed one hexagon higher than the rivers would be correct.

It is not the algorithm that is the problem. The game is assuming that every other column of pixels starts at the second pixel (for example (0,0) is the first hexagon but (1,0) is not on the map - the second column starts at (1,1). Then (2,0), then (3,1), and so on. That explanation is for 1x1 and noblemaster, you know more than I do, but that is what I understand.

I just want the game to discard the last pixel in the column for all columns instead, and then automatically shove pixels down when 'trace' is selected.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 22:56 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I understand what you want to say but I believe you are mistaken on how HEX-tiles work. Pushing everything 1px down for a 1x1px/tile image would not work either.

Each hex tile has 6 neighbor tiles. In order for the image to represent the HEX-format, every 2nd column would need to be pushed down 0.5 pixels for a 1x1px/tile map (not 1px). However, I cannot push down half a pixel.

Maybe there is some other thing you are proposing?

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 11:53 
Peasant
Peasant

I don't have access to my laptop for a while, so I can't get some information that could be useful. However, I am not talking about pushing the column down half a pixel. If you look at the river section picture I posted, if every other row was pushed up then it would be fine.

Maybe a way to explain what I mean is, keep the way the game makes the map, but for the new option, push every other column down/up depending on which is which.