» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON) » DON: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post subject: Island Bundle
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2015, 11:54 
Peasant
Peasant

I am beginning to create a new bundle. I am thinking about an island, but not like the pirate island map. Right now I am planning to make a central island with resources for every player to grab, while islands surrounding the main island have the different empires. What I mean is have a large main island, and three small islands evenly spaced around the main island, each with its own nation.

Please post any comments, offers to help, or questions below. I want to make the nations different, but balanced. I am also wondering if it would be a good idea to start of with territory on the main island.

Post subject: Re: Island Bundle
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2015, 16:45 
Peasant
Peasant

What I have so far is a hexagonal Island. There are three nations, each having one side of the hexagon on an island further back. Between the nations occupying the other three sides of the hexagon are small islands that contain some resources and possibly an unoccupied city. The main island has something each player is trying to get to. I'm not sure whether I should put extra food on the side islands or the main island, or both. Any suggestions would be great.

I think for the three nations I am going to have one focused around military with defendable land, starts out with some troops, and already has technologies. One will be focused on commerce with lots of people but not as man troops or resources. One will have a big island with lots of resources but have the least cities and people. I will work more on this over the weekend.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2015, 16:58 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Sounds great so far :kg:

I cannot really comment on balance! That part is challenging to get right. I guess set it up and then run the AI-runner to see how it all plays out?

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 06:25 
Investigator
Investigator

Tyler wrote:
I am beginning to create a new bundle. I am thinking about an island, but not like the pirate island map. Right now I am planning to make a central island with resources for every player to grab, while islands surrounding the main island have the different empires. What I mean is have a large main island, and three small islands evenly spaced around the main island, each with its own nation.

Please post any comments, offers to help, or questions below. I want to make the nations different, but balanced. I am also wondering if it would be a good idea to start of with territory on the main island.

Sounds like a standard grab the resources scenario but it has possibilities to be quite interesting and enjoyable to play.

Not sure what the logic is for the AI but generally speaking. Starting with a territory on the main island does encourage the AI to play within the theme of the map. Not having a foothold on the island with provide players the tactics of choosing where they wish to establish a beachhead. Is your goal or primary goal is to balance the scenario for AI play or multiplayer? Keeping in mind you most likely won't be able to both for a well balanced scenario.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 07:14 
Investigator
Investigator

Tyler wrote:
What I have so far is a hexagonal Island. There are three nations, each having one side of the hexagon on an island further back. Between the nations occupying the other three sides of the hexagon are small islands that contain some resources and possibly an unoccupied city. The main island has something each player is trying to get to. I'm not sure whether I should put extra food on the side islands or the main island, or both. Any suggestions would be great.

I think for the three nations I am going to have one focused around military with defendable land, starts out with some troops, and already has technologies. One will be focused on commerce with lots of people but not as man troops or resources. One will have a big island with lots of resources but have the least cities and people. I will work more on this over the weekend.

Based upon your parameters. Nation C (has more land, resources and fewer people) Hence they have little desire or incentive to initially go to the central (resource) island. They will establish and build their home island first.
Nation B (with commerce, lots of people, few troops and resources) will want to look for resources and/or food. The central island could be key for them in obtaining need resources and/or food.
Nation A (having a military advantage) will try to take as much of the central island as quickly as possible.

From this, this is how I see it going. Nation A will quickly be at war with Nation B in taking control of the central island. Nation C will build on their home island giving them the advantage of expanding without being limited by warfare. Then at some point in time they will join the war, attacking either Nation A or B, whichever one is stronger. Once the stronger of the 2 is weaken, then Nation C will attempt to eliminate both nations.

While the above scenario can be balanced. It will require more tweaking and effort to make it balanced. Since DoN is under construction, I suggest you start out with a goal to make it easier for you to balance. Such as each nation needs to reach the central island for a single missing resource but one that the other nations don't need to acquire. Or to give all the nations the same need to be on the central island, such as food. This will simplify how to better balance the scenario. Once we have a better understanding of DoN works then we can make other scenarios what require more complex or refined means to balance it.

These have been my thoughts and opinions. Feel free to use them or not.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 14:07 
Peasant
Peasant

fodder wrote:
Or to give all the nations the same need to be on the central island, such as food.

That was exactly what I was thinking. The problem is then I don't know what I am going to put on the other 3 islands.

I could possibly use them for different things, and make two maps. One map for single player and one map for multiplayer. The first map I will make is going to be for single player though.

For the most part you understand my plan, which is good. And what you said has affirmed my original plan. As for what to do for small islands, I have make three unplayable AIs, put a variety of resources and possible a city or port, or leave them out of the map. I am up for other suggestions. Hopefully I will have a map finished by tonight or tomorrow night, so you guys actually have something to look at.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 21:11 
Investigator
Investigator

Well - with the goal being to obtain food for all the nations. I suggest you build up each nation to the point where the AI see it needs food and it can be found on the central island. You don't want the AI running off doing something else so make sure you give them what they need so food becomes a priority for each nation. Good luck.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 10:16 
Peasant
Peasant

This is what I have so far for a map. The bottome right, top righ, and middle left are the three person islands, while there are three random other islands that look kind of weird. It feels too empty to me, and the other islands don't have a good theme. I will continue to edit it, probably change the random islands and add some more small ones.

Tell me what you think anyway. Middle left is military, bottom right is resource, and top right is commerce. I want to finish the map before I start working on something else.

EDIT: I updated the map. I left the old map on so people can figure out what the main three islands are. I did not edit the three main islands. I did add a couple fair sized islands that could possibly be used for multiplayer as well.

Attachments:
100x100 Island Grab template.png
100x100 Island Grab template.png [ 4.66 KiB | Viewed 1517 times ]
100x100 Map template copy.png
100x100 Map template copy.png [ 3.64 KiB | Viewed 1521 times ]

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 17:42 
Peasant
Peasant

Does it matter whether or not I delete the other stuff on the map? The sample bundle has everything but orange deleted but it is really annoying to have to delete all the other crap, like the terrain when making the scenery.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 19:26 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I can say you should delete everything (or change everything) that doesn't pertain to your map.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 04:18 
Peasant
Peasant

What I mean is if I duplicate, say the scenery map, and I want to make that my nature map, would the bundler get mad at me if I left some of the scenery on where I didn't want any nature?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 05:03 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

If I understand you correctly, yes, I think it might cause a conflict.

It may help if you just use a program with layers, such as GIMP. Then you can hide/show layers as you need to, to help position things.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 05:54 
Peasant
Peasant

Noblemaster, my bundle is having problems loading. It could not load the Harbors at all, so I deleted them. Then it could load the bundles, but the map it showed was entirely water. I will email the bundle to you, can you look at it?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 06:47 
Investigator
Investigator

Two general comments.
1) Travis has a good point. Make sure you are using software that allows you to use layers. It will help you with the overall design and large changes you wish to make to your map. GIMP is a free vision of Photoshop. It's well designed but can at times be confusion to use so read up on how to use it and use any tutorials you might find. This will help reduces any frustration you might have in trying to learn it, since it's not very intuitive piece of software.

2) When placing your island, make sure each nation has the same number of turn/time/hop/distance to the other islands. ie. sea pathways.

Last edited by fodder on 07 Jun 2015, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 11:08 
Peasant
Peasant

I guess I will try GIMP. I have it, but it was confusing when I first tried to use it a couple months ago. Now I mainly use a crappy but easy to use software, but it appears to be messing up the maps. I think my problems with placing harbors is that the game can't load the maps, so it won't let me place towns and harbors on pure water.

EDIT: Confirmed. When I opened the pictures in GIMP, GIMP complained that the images all had a weird color layer to them. So I opened the images and exported them to PNG in GIMP and the game can now load them, as well as the harbors.