» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON) » DON: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post subject: Romance of the Three Kingdoms scenario
PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 08:33 
Peasant
Peasant

This is loosely based on the Three Kingdoms era in china.

The map is inspired by the ROTK 11 map, which I felt would fit well with this games design. (Namely making the main two rivers much bigger then they really should be.. To allow some navel combat possibilities)..

This is the minimap:

Most factions have limited resources starting out.. Do to my not necessarily being good at this game yet.. I don't know how balanced or hard/easy its come out..

Any suggestions or issues, feel free to say. I will probably revise it later once I have played through more games to get a better idea what creates hard/easy situations + the game will develop more allowing more things to be done.

(I have uploaded it, so I assume it will eventually be playable by others, This post is made in preparation for that so I could direct people who want to comment somewhere specific).

Post subject: Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms scenario
PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 09:05 
Peasant
Peasant

Looks cool! I will definitely check it out when I have time :^^: .

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 15:50 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I approved the map. Looks great :kg:

However, I strongly suggest you make the following changes:
  • The template icon shows the tools. Please update "bundle_template_graphic.png"
  • All the nation icons & flags show the Roman one's rather than the Chinese ones from that period. I suggest adjust the "nation_*_flag.png" and "nation_*_icon.png" in the module/* subdirectory.

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 17:20 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
I approved the map. Looks great :kg:

However, I strongly suggest you make the following changes:
  • The template icon shows the tools. Please update "bundle_template_graphic.png"
  • All the nation icons & flags show the Roman one's rather than the Chinese ones from that period. I suggest adjust the "nation_*_flag.png" and "nation_*_icon.png" in the module/* subdirectory.

Hm, what do I make the graphic of exactly for that. I did think about but I wasn't sure what to use.

I just stuck with the default graphics because I am not good at making graphics..

I did considered trying to make simple ones, I think they just used a flag with a Chinese character (for family name) on it At lest from various things I've seen... Is how they represent it.. (Sometimes a bit fancier but the same idea).

I might able to do that, I will try and see if it turns out well.

Something like this:

Is.. super basic, but I can do that.. Can probably do a bit of variation... And might be fine. Though I am at the mercy of Google Translate.. and can assume it is correct..

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 19:20 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I think that looks great! I believe providing flags/icons that match the nations goes a long way! Not having any matching flags somewhat destroys the immersion when playing a Chinese nation. It's odd to play a Chinese nation /w a Roman Empire flag.

I know, graphics takes a long time. Nevertheless, I think a bundle icon also would go a long way. Just put one in now. You can always upload another map update in the future also if you want to change it.

:kg:

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 16:43 
Peasant
Peasant

Ok I re-uploaded it so. Hopefully that bundle picture is fine - Its the best I can do at lest, atm.

I also did all the flags/icons.. and tried to make sure none of the flags were the same as the roman ones.. Though I did keep some of the bottoms - but none of them haven't been altered in some way.. They look sufficient to me..

I also "buffed" wu some more (cause in my test they died before they could expand).. So they now start at war with Liu Yao... and have a barbarian and a transport ship.. Sadly I couldn't seem to start the barbarian on the transport ship.. But they should be able to take over Liu Yao to begin there expanding.. But we'll see I guess..

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 16:55 
Game Developer
Game Developer

You uploaded it? Are you sure you didn't get an error while uploading, because nothing is there?

When you upload, also make sure to update the version-number:
Quote:
vn: 1.0.0

Change it to something like:
Quote:
vn: 1.0.1

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 17:19 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
You uploaded it? Are you sure you didn't get an error while uploading, because nothing is there?

When you upload, also make sure to update the version-number:
Quote:
vn: 1.0.0

Change it to something like:
Quote:
vn: 1.0.1

I see, I just used a new id/us because I assumed that might be how it worked. Either I didn't read it or it didn't say. So it should be under a new id/us now..

Well since I still had the old us/id I re uploaded it on that one to with that version number change.. If you didn't see the other one, then you can delete that one.. I will make sure to edit it properly in future.

Edit also.. hopefully didn't do anything with it yet cause I had to re-reupload.. cause I forogt to put the owner tag on the wu transport.. (Checking the wiki for any new infos.. and didn't notice earlier)... so should be 1.0.2..

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 17:55 
Game Developer
Game Developer

My bad! I updated the Wiki.

Also, just approved your map update! Looks great :kg:

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 18:31 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
My bad! I updated the Wiki.

Also, just approved your map update! Looks great :kg:

Thanks.

I do wonder if people prefer nothing starts (I think I do) or having some stuff (like techs/resources buildings already built/units- perhaps ones best suited for a given faction)..

Maybe for a second scenario in this bundle.. I can do one with more starting things if that's more preferred by people.

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 19:18 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Firstly congrats on your first map! I haven't checked it out in game yet, but it seems like it is very nice

Caprontos wrote:
Sadly I couldn't seem to start the barbarian on the transport ship

On your transport ship, have it look something like this
Code:
      piece: schema=21 position=50:68 direction=60 owner=2
         piece: schema=11 position=50:68 direction=60
         piece: schema=11 position=50:68 direction=60

EDIT: I now see noblemaster answered this for you in the other thread, woops!
Caprontos wrote:
I do wonder if people prefer nothing starts (I think I do) or having some stuff (like techs/resources buildings already built/units- perhaps ones best suited for a given faction)..

I always wondered the same thing when I was creating the maps. Not sure what people prefer.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 07:08 
Investigator
Investigator

TravisII wrote:
Caprontos wrote:

I always wondered the same thing when I was creating the maps. Not sure what people prefer.

Naturally it depends upon the person and the nature of the game. Off hand I would say most people like starting fresh and build their empires to their liking.

At times I do enjoy a challenge by playing empires that have individual goals or strategies to them. For example:
Empire A: High tech, low population, average economy, average military.
Empire B: Low tech, high population, low economy, high military
Empire C: Average tech, average population, average economy, average military
Empire D: Low tech, average population, high economy, average military
Empire E: High tech, low population, High economy, low military

Therefore, the game would need to be set with just enough buildings, money, people, ect. to give the empire a fix feel for a winning strategy. Players should have enough room to continue to build and grow the chosen empire but not so much where they can drastically change or convert the empire into a different strategy.

Then all the empires would need to be balanced so that no one empire or strategy has a significant advantage over another empire.

I would then choose a fix empire or strategy to see if I can win with it which would require me to think and play different from my basic instincts. Some players may find this fun too but I feel the majority would prefer to start fresh from the ground up.

Last edited by fodder on 26 May 2015, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 09:22 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Good examples, and I think a mix of those is how I went with some nations in some maps.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 16:30 
Investigator
Investigator

:kg:

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 17:45 
Serf
Serf

Very nice work on the map, Caprontos.

I was playing it today as Liu Bei and lost within the first few turns because he starts out with a single farm (all default settings) and neighbors on all sides. He also starts at war with one of the neighbors with a larger territory overall (2+ cities?) in the northeast and the East neighbor turned on me...fastest loss ever.

Restarted as Sun Ce and doing better at least. Great work on the flags too.