» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON) » DON: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post subject: Few questions on modding
PostPosted: 18 May 2015, 05:00 
Peasant
Peasant

First, where do I put the bundle folder, and where in game do I check to use it?

How much do I need to have complete before I can test it in game (using the bundle example from the wiki as a base)? Since it seems I need to see it in game to place cities where I want them?

For the various map pictures, what do the colors mean for each?

Such as terrain has several colors.. These are my guesses..

Brown = plains
Green = forest
Dark Green = ?
light Blue = river
Blue = ?
Dark blue = ?
Grey = hill
Dark grey = mountain
Red = ?
White = sea/ocean

I'd also like to know for all the map files you need to make.

I don't want to go through the trouble of manually doing all the terrain, then find out I am doing it wrong.. and the wiki doesn't say what the colors are.. It just says what the file defines.. (If it is somewhere, I didn't find it)..

Also once I sort out the map.. Is it possible to let towns, resources and factions generate randomly?.. Before I attempt to place the towns I want properly.. (and... eventually I guess the resources to)?

My current base template_terrain.png, is 138 x 84. Is this fine? Or do I have to try to match the in-game map sizes?

Post subject: Re: Few questions on modding
PostPosted: 18 May 2015, 12:44 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Many questions, I will try to answer them as well as I can.

Caprontos wrote:
First, where do I put the bundle folder, and where in game do I check to use it?

I don't think it matters where it is. In-game you just need to navigate to where you put it. Which would be, from main menu, click Modding tab, then click Bundle. You may want to just create a folder in DoN folder for easy access to your custom maps.

Caprontos wrote:
How much do I need to have complete before I can test it in game (using the bundle example from the wiki as a base)? Since it seems I need to see it in game to place cities where I want them?

I myself would at least do terrain and scenery images before trying to load it into game. I would also go into the bundle.config and remove the current Tile Names, Actors, and Map Pieces. Be sure not to remove the commented lines, but rather the information below each. It may also be useful to keep a copy of the bundle.config so you can see their format for when you go to place your own.

Caprontos wrote:
For the various map pictures, what do the colors mean for each?

Check out the "bundle LEGEND (map graphics).png" that is within the sample zip. Each of the colors in each image are explained. The first one, at the top, is for the bundle_template_terrain.png which uses Dirt/Earth (brown), Grassy (light green), and Thundra (teal).

Caprontos wrote:
I'd also like to know for all the map files you need to make.

First I would make the land of your map all out of the Dirt/Earth brown, be sure to follow the 2x2 block format described on the wiki. Keep a copy of this image as you'll need it for the bundle_scenario_nation.png, bundle_scenario_nature.png, bundle_template_scenery.png, and bundle_template_terrain.png. If you look at them, you'll notice how they all have the brown land mass (less noticeable in scenery and terrain). You need to edit all the files in the sample EXCEPT, anything in the module folder (advanced modding only), bundle LAYERS, bundle LEGEND, LICENSE, and README FIRST. As for the two files, bundle(generate).config, I'm not entirely sure what you need to do with it, as this is new to me as well.

Caprontos wrote:
Also once I sort out the map.. Is it possible to let towns, resources and factions generate randomly?.. Before I attempt to place the towns I want properly.. (and... eventually I guess the resources to)?

You need to place all of those yourself I believe. It may be that the bundle(generate).config will place them randomly (there are town and harbor names specified within). However in the bundle(scenario).config you need to place everything manually.

Caprontos wrote:
My current base template_terrain.png, is 138 x 84. Is this fine? Or do I have to try to match the in-game map sizes?

The wiki states
Code:
A map with dimensions 100×50 will need images of size 200×101 pixels. The +1 is required due to every second column being shifted 1px down.

So I think your image should be expanded to 138 x 85.

If you have more questions let us know. I'll help where I can.

PostPosted: 18 May 2015, 18:06 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
Is it possible to let towns, resources and factions generate randomly?

That only works for the random map generator & there the map is random too. You need to define all the town/resource/factions beforehand.

PostPosted: 19 May 2015, 03:17 
Peasant
Peasant

Alright, then I suppose it will take a little bit of time to do what I wanna do then. Thanks for the infos.

Once I finish all the map pictures... I'll probably be back when I get stuck in the config file.. An if not then when I have a mostly working map..

PostPosted: 19 May 2015, 16:03 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Great! Please post back anytime if you have questions or encounter any problems. :kg:

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 11:34 
Peasant
Peasant

I had to start over (I was not very happy with my first map try.. but.. I finished my "bundle_template_terrain" and "bundle_template_scenery".. I made a full brown version of the terrain and copy/pasted that for my temporary "bundle_scenario_nature" and "bundle_scenario_nation" images..

I opened the bundle(scenario) config in notepad++ and deleted the things suggested above Tile Names, Actors, and Map Pieces from it. but nothing with a # beside it. An didn't change anything else except the map size, which I changed from "cf: x=0 y=0 w=25 h=25 connected=n " to "cf: x=0 y=0 w=68 h=76 connected=n "

When I try to bundle it so I can view it in game it tells me there is an error in line 20, but it is the exact same (untouched) as in the sample bundle.. and I can't see the issue.. So is there some simple reason that might be? Is notepad++ fine to edit it with?

My second question is for map size, do I use 76 or 77, if my image is 153 high?

PostPosted: 20 May 2015, 20:11 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
I opened the bundle(scenario) config in notepad++ and deleted the things suggested above Tile Names, Actors, and Map Pieces from it. but nothing with a # beside it. An didn't change anything else except the map size, which I changed from "cf: x=0 y=0 w=25 h=25 connected=n " to "cf: x=0 y=0 w=68 h=76 connected=n "

Not so sure what you deleted? Basically all lines that start with '#' are comments and save to delete.

Otherwise, you can should be able to remove most other parameters for a scenario. On the other hand, I think the bundler expects at least 2 nations to be set. Also there might be some other paramters that cannot be missing.

If you don't mind, please post your bundle.config here (or email me at contact at demiseofnations.com) and I am able to help fix the problem easier :)

Quote:
Is notepad++ fine to edit it with?

Yes, that's what I am using too.

Quote:
w=68 h=76

Your image should be 136x153 (153px high).

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 03:58 
Peasant
Peasant

I re-added actors, and I still get:

Error at bundle(scenario).config (line #20).

I also tried just removing towns/harbors.. and when I do I get an error about placing the unit..

So I assume I am just missing something it needs to create a map..

I then also added to the nations picture, the top two left corners, one square marked for each kingdom and the map piece/tile for two towns. in the top two slots (I assume the corner is 1,1 and next to it is 1,2?).. This gave me the same error in line 20 thing..

I also finished my climate map.. and copy-pasted the all brown map for the explore map.. for now..

And.. then it worked, so maybe the issue was I didn't properly make maps for climate or explore.. and also needed to actually have nations to load..
(noting it partly to say what I did and partly incase someone else has a similar issue and partly cause as I made this post I kept thinking of more stuff to try..).

Pretty happy with how the terrain looks ingame... Now the long process of placing the towns.. the longer process for placing resources..

Do you think for resource balance, it'd be ok if I -for each town- select what it produces (ie wood, stone, iron, or food).. then place near it that resource + one or two food tiles depending on the resource I decide, and the "land" that city occupies.. I am not sure if that would come out balanced.. I am not really good at balancing things..

New questions though.
What is the explore map for? Does it just show what can be seen at map start if fog is on?

Also for climate is continental warmer or colder then moderately warm?

For placing things, I notice in the bundle inspect mode, I can place things.. Does this do anything? or is it just for helping you figure out where you want stuff?

Also if you try to delete something(I tried to delete a placed town), it crashes.. but the program stays open in the task manager.. so maybe a bug.

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 09:21 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Caprontos wrote:
What is the explore map for? Does it just show what can be seen at map start if fog is on?

Correct. If you want everyone to only see around what they own/units, a pitch black image should be used.

Caprontos wrote:
Also for climate is continental warmer or colder then moderately warm?

I think it would vary more, but mostly colder.

Caprontos wrote:
For placing things, I notice in the bundle inspect mode, I can place things.. Does this do anything? or is it just for helping you figure out where you want stuff?

I think for now it is just for you to see if everything is where you want it.

Caprontos wrote:
Also if you try to delete something(I tried to delete a placed town), it crashes.. but the program stays open in the task manager.. so maybe a bug.

Yeah, you have to be careful as it is very unfinished at this point.

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 09:45 
Peasant
Peasant

Alright Thanks.

I have now finished placing/naming all the towns.. I think its taking me longer to fix the rivers I put then it took me to add the towns at this point..

But now just need to do the resources.. Then Faction stuff.. An I guess that's all..

Is it easy to change faction names for my specific scenario? The wiki says the nation info comes from the module.config but the sample bundle doesn't use one.. At lest I don't see it.. The wiki also though says Nation: Under construction. So perhaps that's not done yet? Or maybe that means its not added to the wiki yet?

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 14:10 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
I assume the corner is 1,1 and next to it is 1,2?

Coordinates start at 0:0 (not 1:1)! Press 'M' on the keyboard to view all the coordinates on the map.

Quote:
The wiki also though says Nation: Under construction. So perhaps that's not done yet? Or maybe that means its not added to the wiki yet?

It's done, but it's not added to the Wiki yet. It means the Wiki needs a lot of stuff still to be filled in (sorry, haven't gotten there yet).

Go into module.config & "nation:" to edit the nations.

@Travis: would you mind filling in the blanks for the nation? :gott:

Quote:
Do you think for resource balance, it'd be ok if I -for each town- select what it produces (ie wood, stone, iron, or food).. then place near it that resource + one or two food tiles depending on the resource I decide, and the "land" that city occupies.. I am not sure if that would come out balanced.. I am not really good at balancing things..

That probably makes sense. Balancing is hard; I have no good answer for you there either :kg:

Quote:

The bundle [Inspect] mode can be used to test-out stuff by adding/removing items (no saving). It might eventually become an editor, but for now it is not done & yes it's buggy. Sorry for that.

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 16:24 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
Coordinates start at 0:0 (not 1:1)! Press 'M' on the keyboard to view all the coordinates on the map.

Yeah I figured that eventually. when I started to do the towns. Wiki did tell me about the M key.

Quote:
It's done, but it's not added to the Wiki yet. It means the Wiki needs a lot of stuff still to be filled in (sorry, haven't gotten there yet).

Go into module.config & "nation:" to edit the nations.

@Travis: would you mind filling in the blanks for the nation? :gott:

yeah I expect a lot of things to not be fully done yet.

I assume the bundle(scenario)config is the module config it goes in then?

Do you just add a name=whatever in the actor line?

like :
"actor(1): nation=1 name=Whatever"

If not.. Can I have a sample line for what to put to edit a nations name? I can copy/paste/edit it for all the factions I want to use then.

If there should be a file called module.config, then where would I find it? Or if not, can i have one/one added to the sample bundle.. Since it only seems to have a bundle(scenario)config and bundle(generate)config... Which I don't really see a nations tag in either..

Quote:
That probably makes sense. Balancing is hard; I have no good answer for you there either :kg:

Yeah.. I guess I'll try and if it feels really broken I'll know.. it was a poor choice haha.

Quote:
The bundle [Inspect] mode can be used to test-out stuff by adding/removing items (no saving). It might eventually become an editor, but for now it is not done & yes it's buggy. Sorry for that.

Yeah, I just wanted to note it, incase.. I kinda assumed you probably knew.. I can see a full editor isn't really as important as actual gameplay stuff (It is kinda interesting to do it this manual way though)..

PostPosted: 21 May 2015, 20:15 
Game Developer
Game Developer

The nations are defined in "module.config"! Go into the "module/*" sub-folder and look for it there. It's a text file too.

The nations are defined as follows:
Code:
# Nation <Nr.>
nation(<Nr.>): <NationName> <PeopleName> <PeopleAdjective> <ColorInHexFormat>
  icon: <icon_file>
  flag: <flag_file> (0,0)
nation-end!

Please make sure to use an underscore '_' if you have names/adjectives that have spaces in there. E.g. use "Roman_Empire" not "Roman Empire"!

For Hex-Colors:

For the Roman Empire you would do something like:
Code:
# Nation 1
nation(1): Roman_Empire Romans Roman f11330
  icon: nation_romanempire_icon.png
  flag: nation_romanempire_flag.png (0,0)
nation-end!

Quote:
I can see a full editor isn't really as important as actual gameplay stuff (It is kinda interesting to do it this manual way though)..

To do a full editor with all the parameters etc. editable would take 3-9 months. It's a lot to work on. In the end, I don't think you'll be faster than doing it via text files...

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 05:01 
Peasant
Peasant

I did all the resources (went quicker then I thought it would.. woo)..

Then today I tried to add nations + edit there names + do the nations.png but I get error line 20 again, when I try to bundle it... I know it worked pre-nation adding.. but I can't see any noticeable flaws in what I put for the nations..

I think certain water tiles are marked as territory for certain factions.. but I tested it with the sample bundle (by marking a part of the water belong to a faction) and it worked fine. So I assume that isn't an issue.

I also edited the nation section in both the module config and modulemini.config.. but having the mini one edited or not edited (From the sample versions) doesn't seem to change anything..

I have also tried with unedited config files.. (incase I messed those up) but that didn't work.

So either there is something else I need to put.. or there is some error I just can't see somewhere..

This is everything I've done so far:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/i86cv ... ngdoms.zip

If you do not mind checking, maybe you can see what I am messing up? Cause I have no more ideas what might be wrong..

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 05:34 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
module_mini.config.. but having the mini one edited or not edited (From the sample versions) doesn't seem to change anything..

You can delete that file! That's not used at all. Sorry, I forgot to remove it from the sample bundle. sorry for the confusion.

I looked at your files and found the problem: please fix your "bundle_scenario_nation.png" image! The colors in there need to exactly match the ID# colors in the "bundle LEGEND (map graphics).png". Some colors in there do match ID# but there is not "nation(ID)" defined.

I attached you a cropped version of that file that works. Please fix up the bottom part and it will bundle just fine (worked for me)!

I will update the error message to make more sense for the next update!

Attachments:
bundle_scenario_nation.png
bundle_scenario_nation.png [ 3.79 KiB | Viewed 3272 times ]