» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON) » DON: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Few questions on modding
PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 07:43 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
Quote:
module_mini.config.. but having the mini one edited or not edited (From the sample versions) doesn't seem to change anything..

You can delete that file! That's not used at all. Sorry, I forgot to remove it from the sample bundle. sorry for the confusion.

I looked at your files and found the problem: please fix your "bundle_scenario_nation.png" image! The colors in there need to exactly match the ID# colors in the "bundle LEGEND (map graphics).png". Some colors in there do match ID# but there is not "nation(ID)" defined.

I attached you a cropped version of that file that works. Please fix up the bottom part and it will bundle just fine (worked for me)!

I will update the error message to make more sense for the next update!

Hm I copy-pasted the legend for each map, then used the eyedropper for the colors to make sure it was correct, but it seems it was nation 5, that I used the wrong yellow for.. Maybe I wanted a the other yellow then forgot I did it.. but that made it work.. Thanks.

Beside some possible need to edit scenery.. Cause some areas maybe to constricted.. That should be pretty much done.. But need to actually play a game on it to see what might need changed..

Now the last thing I want to do, if possible, is have it so everyone has a ceasefire with everyone.. to try to force the ai(and player depending on the faction) to progress how I want them to (ie give them a few turns to build stuff freely.. then have cease fires end at certain times to open up the "war" option.. Also to have some start off in an alliance or with high/low opinion of each other.

I guess basically I want to 1) layout how the political field should be(make factions like who they should like and hate who they should hate..)... and 2) lightly "push" the ai to progress in a more historical manner, then if I just let them do what they want..

I don't see much on the wiki about it.. I assume its maybe this tag:
diplos=w:2 by actors? Does that mean diplomacy=war with nation 2?

Also how long is a "turn" is that 1 month per turn and then 12 turns a year?

I could always have a second scenario that is the same thing but everyone just start neutral for a do what you want version of the map..

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 16:18 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
I don't see much on the wiki about it.. I assume its maybe this tag:
diplos=w:2 by actors? Does that mean diplomacy=war with nation 2?

That's correct. You can use 'a' (instead of 'w') to define alliances.

Cease-fires are not in there but I'll add it for the next release (I updated the Wiki, but Cease-Fires will not be working until the next update!).

Quote:
Also how long is a "turn" is that 1 month per turn and then 12 turns a year?

1 turn = 1/4/ months
4 turns = 1 month
48 turns = 1 year

I can changed it in the future for fantasy-based worlds, but for now that's fixed.

PostPosted: 22 May 2015, 16:39 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
That's correct. You can use 'a' (instead of 'w') to define alliances.

Cease-fires are not in there but I'll add it for the next release (I updated the Wiki, but Cease-Fires will not be working until the next update!).

Alright that sounds good then.

Quote:
1 turn = 1/4/ months
4 turns = 1 month
48 turns = 1 year

I can changed it in the future for fantasy-based worlds, but for now that's fixed.

Alright I think that's a decent turn to year ratio for most games.

I guess now time to properly play test and fix what ever doesn't feel right for this scenario.

Edit:
I did notice I started with a certain amount of techs. Checking the wiki I see it is the invents:1 tag. Is that like "has all techs in level 1"? Can we only select levels of techs (ie level 1 or 2 or 3.. etc learned).. Or is it possible to pick the exact techs?

and while on that.. Whats the "inventResolve=y" and "intels=1" for?

I assume InventResolve is if they invent new things or not? no idea on intels though..

PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 15:53 
Peasant
Peasant

I have done a bit testing.. and starting the game with ceasefires, seems to creates a big variation.. to not having them..

With them, they seem to start wars like right away when it ends, with just anyone.. Regardless of distance.. (Its like your going to march through 3 other peoples lands to fight someone... unn?) but with out them, people generally made war as you might expect (With neighbors.. and such). Or maybe it was just how it was happening in those tests..

They also don't last as long as I thought. I thought it was 1-9 months but seems to be 1-9 turns.. which is much less..

I did get a possible bug.. I had a faction declare war on me, but also send me an alliance request - in the same turn.. So I accepted the alliance... and the war ended the next turn and we were allied. That doesn't seem like it should be a thing.

I think being able to edit starting opinion would be more useful.. Since you can then at lest make them dislike specific people so they are more likely to war them.. (I assume -100% opinion = they won't ally you and will like go to war?).

I can tell though I do need to start off with a more substantial start, or it will be way to easy to roll over people.. So I wonder, does the AI use Garrison troops properly? Like if I give them -them (like spawn them on a city tile, will they go in that city and will the AI keep them in that city? Or does the AI just treat them like normal units? (I guess I can test this one myself)..

Still wondering this: I did notice I started with a certain amount of techs. Checking the wiki I see it is the invents:1 tag. Is that like "has all techs in level 1"? Can we only select levels of techs (ie level 1 or 2 or 3.. etc learned).. Or is it possible to pick the exact techs?

and while on that.. Whats the "inventResolve=y" and "intels=1" for?

I assume InventResolve is if they invent new things or not? no idea on intels though..

PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 16:41 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
I did notice I started with a certain amount of techs. Checking the wiki I see it is the invents:1 tag. Is that like "has all techs in level 1"? Can we only select levels of techs (ie level 1 or 2 or 3.. etc learned).. Or is it possible to pick the exact techs?

That number chosen there is the exact tech (not the level!). Maybe not clear from the Wiki.

Quote:
and while on that.. Whats the "inventResolve=y"

If you set inventResolve to 'y' (yes) and you have given some invents to a nation but the invents needed to get those inventions are not given to that nation (e.g. forgotten) the inventResolve=y will add those missing inventions (so it make sense).

Quote:
"intels=1" for?

That's the the message that is displayed in turn 1. You can give each nation different messages. That's the trade-message (i.e. intel 1) you get:
Code:
intel: topic=TradeItemCall matterSource=1:100 matterTarget=0:80

Quote:
I had a faction declare war on me, but also send me an alliance request - in the same turn..

That's a bug! I'll fix.

Quote:
I think being able to edit starting opinion would be more useful.. Since you can then at lest make them dislike specific people so they are more likely to war them.. (I assume -100% opinion = they won't ally you and will like go to war?).

-100% makes it very unlikely to ally! I have put it onto the todo-list but it is little bit more difficult than it might appear to implement as the AI is generally not that tightly linked to game-scenarios.

Quote:
So I wonder, does the AI use Garrison troops properly? Like if I give them -them (like spawn them on a city tile, will they go in that city and will the AI keep them in that city? Or does the AI just treat them like normal units? (I guess I can test this one myself)..

That's a good question. I think as of now, the AI might use it as a regular unit (AI code missing to treat it as garrison).

PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 18:24 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
That number chosen there is the exact tech (not the level!). Maybe not clear from the Wiki.

Hm, then the wiki is clear, but what is confusing me, is that even if I delete the invent tag and inventresolve, I still start with a bunch of inventions.. (most of level 1, a lot of level 2 a few level 3 and 1 level 4 one).. Did the sample bundle have you start with that?

Is the starting inventions chosen somewhere beside the actor line?

Quote:
If you set inventResolve to 'y' (yes) and you have given some invents to a nation but the invents needed to get those inventions are not given to that nation (e.g. forgotten) the inventResolve=y will add those missing inventions (so it make sense).

I wouldn't of guessed that, but is handy for ideas I have had.. Like starting certain factions with various troops.. like spear men and cavalry but not other ones

Quote:
That's the the message that is displayed in turn 1. You can give each nation different messages. That's the trade-message (i.e. intel 1) you get:
Code:
intel: topic=TradeItemCall matterSource=1:100 matterTarget=0:80

I see, so it basically gives you that trade at the start.. Could be handy for various things.

Quote:
-100% makes it very unlikely to ally! I have put it onto the todo-list but it is little bit more difficult than it might appear to implement as the AI is generally not that tightly linked to game-scenarios.

I see, well no rush on these things. I have decided for now I will scrap that idea and go with a scenario that is more allowed to be random... IE an earlier time period with many smaller factions where history is more in doubt....

Then come back to this one when the game is more developed, or I have a better idea how to achieve what I wanted.

I will play through a few of your scenarios with the larger factions to see how they work out for me... And maybe that will help me define one with larger factions better..

Quote:
That's a good question. I think as of now, the AI might use it as a regular unit (AI code missing to treat it as garrison).

Yes that is exactly what they do.. In my test of it, they sent them to take over eachothers town.. and just walked past eachother (With one attack of course).. So not only did they not defend the town.. They used them to take the other ones town..

Well once they don't move them.. They can be used to make it harder to expand by making cities harder to capture from the start..

PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 18:55 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
Hm, then the wiki is clear, but what is confusing me, is that even if I delete the invent tag and inventresolve, I still start with a bunch of inventions.. (most of level 1, a lot of level 2 a few level 3 and 1 level 4 one).. Did the sample bundle have you start with that?

There is another place with "inventResolve": look at your cities & harbors & remove "inventResolve" there as well.

Quote:
I see, so it basically gives you that trade at the start.. Could be handy for various things.
I just updated the Wiki with some more information including those "intels"!

Quote:
re-AI opinions preset at game-start
It's on my todo-list. I have some other things that I need to get done first though.

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 03:43 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:

There is another place with "inventResolve": look at your cities & harbors & remove "inventResolve" there as well.

That was the issue. Now it is starting with nothing as I wanted - thanks.

Also some more issues I found

I have this as my start date:
datum: year=-194 month=2

Yet the game starts at -195bc February.. For bc dates do I just set them one later (ie 193 in this case) - or is it some bug?

Also I made an alliance with a faction (I sent the request) then they in the same turn canceled the alliance.. Like I got the messages one after the other.

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 06:37 
Knight
Knight

Caprontos wrote:
Also I made an alliance with a faction (I sent the request) then they in the same turn canceled the alliance.. Like I got the messages one after the other.

could be the other faction accepted alliance offer, then cancelled the alliance later in the turn? i've seen it happen in aoc lol... ie brainfart :furz: :roll:

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 15:39 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
Yet the game starts at -195bc February.. For bc dates do I just set them one later (ie 193 in this case) - or is it some bug?

There is no year "0" in the Gregorian Calendar. Year counting in real-life starts at 1 AD respectively 1 BC without a 0 AD/ 0 BC being present!

When you setup the scenario, I mapped as follows:
2 = 2AD
1 = 1AD
0 = 1BC
-1 = 2BC

Quote:

It's on the todo-list to fix. Hadn't had a chance to get to it yet though.

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 09:00 
Peasant
Peasant

When I try to bundle this one - after adding flags/icons, I get: error at module.config (line#2564).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cf27g ... ngdoms.zip

I don't think there is an error in that line.. I assume its something to do with the images? I have checked and I think all the names are correctly typed.. So I am unsure.. I didn't change the size of any..

Do I have to link the flags somewhere besides by the nations for it to work?

Edit: well after going over it much more carefully.. I found two spelling errors (one capital letter in a name, and one where two letters were mixed).

And then also somehow I removed the neutral flag, I think I did when I added/re-removed the regular flags to see if that was an issue..

Maybe could still make the error message better for this one though.. Be helpful to point out me just being really **** - again.

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 16:52 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I found the problem. Please make sure to put the following 2 files into your module/* folder again. They are needed for the "neutral nation":
nation_neutral_icon.png
nation_neutral_flag.png

For nation 22 you have in module.config (line 1359):
icon: nation_liubaio_icon.png
It's a spelling error. Please change it to (i <-> a swapped!):
icon: nation_liubiao_icon.png

By the way, the new flags & icons are great :kg:

In any case: I will update the bundle-maker for the next release so it's clear what the problem was. For the next update it will show you the image names that gave the problem. Sorry for the troubles!

I am aware the error messages are still cryptic, so if you have any other error messages you are not sure about, just send me the bundle.zip again and I'll fix both your error and also update the bundle-maker!

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 17:32 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
By the way, the new flags & icons are great :kg:

Now I just hope those Chinese characters are at lest mostly saying what Google said they were saying.. and it should be good.

Quote:
In any case: I will update the bundle-maker for the next release so it's clear what the problem was. For the next update it will show you the image names that gave the problem. Sorry for the troubles!

I am aware the error messages are still cryptic, so if you have any other error messages you are not sure about, just send me the bundle.zip again and I'll fix both your error and also update the bundle-maker!

I will be sure to note any errors I get that aren't clear as to whats wrong.. Easier to fix something when you know whats broken.

Also is it possible to start a unit on a transport?

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 17:59 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:

Yes! in bundle.config, make sure the transport is created first, then just create the units you want to have in there and put the coordinates at the same place as the transport.

Example:
Code:
piece: schema=21 position=48:67 direction=120 owner=2
   piece: schema=14 position=48:67 direction=120

Schema 21 is the troop transport at position 48:67. Right after that create the units and they will be placed inside the transport!

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 18:27 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
Quote:

Yes! in bundle.config, make sure the transport is created first, then just create the units you want to have in there and put the coordinates at the same place as the transport.

Example:
Code:
piece: schema=21 position=48:67 direction=120 owner=2

Schema 21 is the troop transport at position 48:67. Right after that create the units and they will be placed inside the transport!

Ok mine probably failed cause there wasn't an owner tag or because the units order.. I am sure that will be useful later (If wu is still starving to death before they can expand like I think they should).

Is something I noticed, is nations will just die because they don't expand because they allied to much or just can't win fights but don't lose either..

I assume this is because they run out of food, and having limited resources makes it more likely to happen..

For Wu, I am seeing if starting with a few units fixes it for them..

Two things that might be handy to add is.. Ability to give each faction its own starting message. Could give better flavor text.. or if I ever get decent at the game early game hints to specific factions.

An the ability to define a different "nation map" for a given scenario.. (I might of said earlier I can't remember)..

So if I wanted to have a second scenario using the same map, but a different nation layout you wouldn't need two different bundles to do it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next