» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON)

Post subject: Problem with Diplomacy
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 05:10 
Peasant
Peasant

Ahoy lads!

Hax here

I wanted to bring up a issue that's been bothering me in DON for a very long time, the Diplomacy. If you completed a campaign or two, you probably have realized that factions seem to ally each other...very frequently. For example, by turn 20-30, you often have factions having 5-6 alliances. Now this is quite unrealistic in my opinion as an alliance were not easily formed in that time period(Or any time period). Peace treaty and cease fires pretty much never occur when compared to alliances. This drastically slows down game-play and creates massive stalemates between AI. My suggestion would be to limit the possibility that factions will decide to ally with each other and instead form temporary peace-treaties and cease fires instead. A possibility for an alliance would be if Macedon and Greece are both fighting Persia and Sparta. Since they are fighting the same 2 factions and are near each other, they might consider an alliance or even a mutual peace treaty. Also, alliances and peace treaties should expire after a while, like cease fires. This also limits the chance of a massive AI stalemate, which gets awfully boring at times.

Post subject: Re: Problem with Diplomacy
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 22:10 
Game Developer
Game Developer

That's actually a good idea! Less alliances but more peace-treaties etc. I put it onto the todo-list to fix!

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 12:35 
Peasant
Peasant

I know this would take a while and be far down on your todo list Noblemaster, but I think there are some cool things you could do with diplomacy.

I think their should be the ability to make treaties (mainly for multiplayer). You could include lots of things in these treaties. There could be payments (One time or continuous). You could set mutual boundaries: for example if you are both invading a nation you can agree who will get what, like the allies after WW2, and all the land you would normally take goes to whoever you formed the treaty with next turn. You could also include the other types of diplomatic relations in the treaty, and sign these treaties with multiple nations.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 07:15 
Peasant
Peasant

Tyler wrote:
I know this would take a while and be far down on your todo list Noblemaster, but I think there are some cool things you could do with diplomacy.

I think their should be the ability to make treaties (mainly for multiplayer). You could include lots of things in these treaties. There could be payments (One time or continuous). You could set mutual boundaries: for example if you are both invading a nation you can agree who will get what, like the allies after WW2, and all the land you would normally take goes to whoever you formed the treaty with next turn. You could also include the other types of diplomatic relations in the treaty, and sign these treaties with multiple nations.

Very advanced, but I like it

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 18:04 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Monetary/Trade etc. treaties sound fun. I put it onto the todo-list :-D