» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON)

Post subject: Happiness Glitch
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 05:40 
Peasant
Peasant

Since the update, I have been losing lots of happiness (-10%) every turn in a world where it has locked in 200% taxes. I first saw a random drop in happiness, so I hosted a festival in every city and got my net happiness up to 52%. I come back, and its 42%. I suppose this is a glitch? The nation has 200% taxes locked in so I wonder if that is what is causing it?

Post subject: Re: Happiness Glitch
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 05:51 
Knight
Knight

200% taxes lol? i'd revolt :pal:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 07:34 
Peasant
Peasant

But the taxes aren't being collected! It is the middle of March!

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 08:39 
Investigator
Investigator

:lol: Not sure how the game is coded. However, in real life. Even if the tax hasn't been collected. Just the announcement that my taxes are going up an absurd amount. Would make me unhappy. I'm certain noblemaster will check the code to make sure it's working properly. However, losing 10% happiness for 200% taxes, doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 10:04 
Knight
Knight

agreed... I'd revolt in anticipation of 200% taxes being collected :pal:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 15:23 
Peasant
Peasant

fodder wrote:
:lol: Not sure how the game is coded. However, in real life. Even if the tax hasn't been collected. Just the announcement that my taxes are going up an absurd amount. Would make me unhappy. I'm certain noblemaster will check the code to make sure it's working properly. However, losing 10% happiness for 200% taxes, doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

The problem isn't that it is an absurd amount, the problem is that unless taxes are being collected next turn, it locks the tax rate in place and doesn't show a happiness change. It shouldn't check the taxes when they aren't being collected

Of course I am not sure that is the real problem, all I know is that my happiness is going down too much.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2015, 17:56 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Taxes only happen twice a year. The buttons are locked unless it is tax seasons which gives you the option to adjust them.

Please note that unless it is tax season, the taxes won't affect your happiness!

Why did you get a sudden drop in happiness? Is it possible that there was a happiness event that unexpectedly reduced your happiness? Is it across all your cities? Note also that battles in the vicinity of a city reduce the happiness of a city. Ditto do lost battles!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 11:45 
Peasant
Peasant

Noblemaster, I considered that because a large part of my nation was at war (and losing :P). However the drop occurred across the entire nation equally, and it happened multiple times in a row. Because of that, I don't think it was a random event.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 11:55 
Peasant
Peasant

Update: It did not occur a third time, so I don't know what the problem is. It happened twice in a row but then didn't happen again. If there a random event that decreases happiness by 12%. It decreased overall by 10% but the the projected growth was 2%. I must of had that occur twice in a row.

Last edited by Tyler on 13 Jul 2015, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 13:50 
Investigator
Investigator

noblemaster - is the formula for determining happiness or drop of happiness due to war a complex one? If it can be easily understood, then you might want to post it, in addition to any explanation for tyler's dilemma.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 17:19 
Game Developer
Game Developer

The happiness drop occurs right during battles (when you loose them only). You should be able to observe how happiness changes in +/-1% increments!?

Still have no idea where the -10% drop is from? By the way, do you have enough food? Anything else that could cause a drop?

If you email me the save-file, I'll have a look. I assume it still continues to happen?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2015, 07:10 
Peasant
Peasant

I would I post the save file, it was on a multiplayer game? I had the some relevant options turned off for viewing what happened, which was a mistake. However, I might have been attacked and lost 10 times (I don't think so but I won't rule it out), but does that affect the entire nation? I thought it was only local, but if it affects the entire nation then I will accept that the battles are probably what caused the drop.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2015, 18:38 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Lost battles affect the whole nation! Battles in general (won or lost or ongoing) also affect cities & harbors in the vicinity. They loose happiness too.

I guess it's possible that that had an effect. Also, there might be a combination of other things that just brought your happiness loss to -10% or so?

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 16:10 
Peasant
Peasant

That makes a lot of sense, thank you so much! I didn't know that it affected the entire nation, so I didn't take into account the lost battles all the way across the map!