» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON)

Post subject: Pax Mongolica
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 09:01 
Peasant
Peasant

Apologies for the excess of new topics, I don't like having completely different topics in one place. Also sorry it is a little long, please comment anyway, even some of it if you can't comment on it all. Also I need someone to draw, it would be great if someone could help by drawing a few images!

When I created my first bundle, Adventure Island, I originally wanted to make a bundle about the mongols but didn't know how to make the map (I didn't want to hand draw it). A couple of days ago I figured out how, and since have been working on that instead. I want to know if anyone is willing to help with it.

I created the bundle by downloading a map of asia, and tracing the land and stuff. To do this I made the bundle use 1x1 pixel squares instead of the standard 2x2. I knew I would have this problem in the beginning, but it still needs to be fixed: the map does not account for having every other hexagon being pushed down. The map is 302x151, and I don't really want to fix it by hand. I haven't created every map, just template_terrain, scenario1_natinons, and a small part of template_scenery. Now that I have a general understanding of what the map looks like, I don't want to proceed until I have a solution.

I am using GIMP, but am open to trying any free solution. For the maps, I could select every other column, and move it down one pixel (I am pretty sure that this is possible but I don't know how right now). This still seems time consuming and I am wondering if anyone knows of another solution?

I am planning to redo a large part of the module.config. I want the map to be somewhat historically correct, but I request input from all of you on this. Do you all have any ideas at all about anything I could use for this, such as different types of combat, matter, estates, decrees, schemas, invents, etc? Please post them below! I can research ok, but I can only come up with so much stuff. I have some ideas already, which I will post in a reply below>

Right now my first scenario is after the Mongol Empire split up into 4 Khanates, the Chagatai, Il-Khanate, Golden Horde, and Yuan Dynasty. I am planning to have the four Khanates as different nations fighting each other. The Mongols will have almost completely separate units, invents, and other stuff. Mongolian units will start off slightly OP, and have many available invents that dramatically boost troops XP. However, the Mongols get devastating debuffs anywhere that isn't an open field. This includes a high negative terrainEffect and having really crappy ships. The map includes most of what the Mongols conquered (it does not include most of eastern Europe) plus the place they failed to take over (Japan, India, Vietnam/Cambodia, Mamluks, +Byzantine Empire as a vassal).

Last edited by Tyler on 13 Jun 2015, 15:52, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Pax Mongolica
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 09:20 
Peasant
Peasant

New content I have so far. I will update this to include suggestions I like. Please comment on what you think about these, plus any thing else. The more the better! And being able to copy and paste into a .config file would be great :gott: ;) .

I am not sure how to upload my .config files, and I don't want to paste the whole thing here. I will have to think about this some. You all should still post suggestions.

Right now I have matter, combat, invents just for mongols, beliefs, nature, and nations. I DO NOT have any new content files, it would be great if I could have someone draw some stuff for me, I am awful at drawing!

Last edited by Tyler on 14 Jun 2015, 14:18, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 12:06 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Looks like a big undertaking, good luck and looking forward to it!

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2015, 16:29 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Sounds good! Yes, look like a huge project if you ask me :kg:

Regarding map images: using 1x1px/tile PNG files is perfectly alright. There aren't any real drawbacks besides the image looking slightly different due to not every 2nd column being pushed down when you compare it to how it is in the game.

If you want to make the tiles 2x2px you can do so using a couple of tricks to get there pretty quickly. I am using Photoshop but some other tools should offer similar solutions (sorry, cannot comment on other tools as I don't know how they do it):
  • 1. Scale your image 2x. Make sure you use a method such as "nearest neighbor" to keep hard edges. You don't want parts to be anti-aliased.
  • 2. Increase the canvas size and add 1px to the height (at the bottom). That way you have the space when you shift every 2nd row down.
  • 3. Shifting down every second row: I suggest create a mask-layer! Create a striped layer 2px wide that fills the whole image (e.g. black/transparent). You can do that rather quickly using copy/paste.
  • 4. Now select only the stripes in that mask layer with the selection tool. Then hide the layer and show the layer where you want to shift every second row down. Now just shift it down & you are done!

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2015, 04:21 
Peasant
Peasant

Thanks to both of you! The problem with the map isn't that I am using 1x1 pixel images, the problem is why I used 1x1 pixels. I made the map by downloading and tracing over a real map, so the pixels aren't pushed down like the bundler thinks. See the picture attached to tell what I mean.

Thanks for the suggestion though Noblemaster, I am not how to do the third and fourth ones, but I am pretty sure GIMP has those options. And for scale and resize, I used them to make my image (the map I downloaded was 10 times bigger than I wanted).

Attachments:
File comment: The rivers are continuous in the map file
Small Messed Up River.png
Small Messed Up River.png [ 418.43 KiB | Viewed 2663 times ]

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2015, 05:34 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I see! Indeed, placing rivers might be a problem. Haven't thought about that. :???:

In that sense, working with a 2x2px/tile grid is easier to work with especially when it comes to rivers.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2015, 08:30 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
I see! Indeed, placing rivers might be a problem. Haven't thought about that. :???:

In that sense, working with a 2x2px/tile grid is easier to work with especially when it comes to rivers.

Hehe yes working with 2x2 is easier. But I don't know how much it matters in this case. Even if I converted to 2x2, I would still have that problem :( . I need to shift everything down either way.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2015, 17:11 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Sorry, there is no easy way :/

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2015, 19:13 
Investigator
Investigator

Tyler wrote:
Apologies for the excess of new topics, I don't like having completely different topics in one place. Also sorry it is a little long, please comment anyway, even some of it if you can't comment on it all. Also I need someone to draw, it would be great if someone could help by drawing a few images!

No problem. We are always creating new topics for better organization. In fact when the subject or topic changes, I would encourage you to start a new topic.

Good luck with the map.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 16:44 
Peasant
Peasant

The units were way harder than I thought they would be. Not even making them, but researching them has taken up a large amount of the time to make this so far. I am almost done researching! Soon I will actually have to make the units.

I have no idea what I am going to do about drawing them however :headbash: what do you all suggest I use in place of the different units while I test?

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 16:46 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I suggest, use some of the existing units and then replace with your units once it's done :kg:

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 20:56 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I suggest to make them all stickmen.

Just kidding, don't do that! I have a crazy plan to replace all graphics with stickmen/stickbuildings/sticktrees/etc for some silly map sometime! banana

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 22:05 
Investigator
Investigator

That sounds quite cool. Stick men rule! :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 06:55 
Knight
Knight

i look like a stickman anyways... be the perfect map for me :partyyy:

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 02:44