» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON)

Post subject: Re: Pax Mongolica
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 07:33 
Peasant
Peasant

Here is some news to awaken the forum from its 4 day slumber:

In a little while I will submit the Pax Mongolica bundle. It does not contain any units or cities, (there is only one schema any way), and the map is not finished. That being said... can any one who gets a chance to look at, give advice on the map. I don't really know what to do for most of the map. I already have nations in, so maybe say something about a particular nation's landscape (scenery) and how you think it should be. I thank you all in advance for your advice. I am just working on the map while I get the schemas sorted out.

Actually, Noblemaster, is it even possible to view bundles like with the Inspect button if they are downloaded? Like a mod share kind of thing?

Last edited by Tyler on 20 Jun 2015, 07:46, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 07:44 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I'm not sure it will be approved if it is not playable.

You could always post it here on the forums for some feedback.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 07:45 
Peasant
Peasant

TravisII wrote:
I'm not sure it will be approved if it is not playable.

You could always post it here on the forums for some feedback.

Ya, thanks for the idea I will try that. And I am not going to submit yet, but wait until I have some schemas in.

Edit: Actually is it possible to upload .zip files? How would I post it? :kg:

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 12:24 
Peasant
Peasant

On a separate subject, some questions about the schemas.

In spec: mov: terrainEffect, weatherEffect, and frostedEffect, I know those have to do limiting movement, but what do the numbers mean. Horsemen have 5 for terrainEffect, is that the number of action points extra a tile takes?

Objekts in area seems easy enough, but there are a bunch of random numbers, which I assume have something to do with planars. Do they form a grid system with the planars or something? I make a new city type (for the mongols), so I don't want to mess those up.

Zoc in spec: own: means zone of control? So even when the option is enabled if set to zoc=n then zone of control won't affect enemy units?

What is needsBoundHappiness? It it whether a unit needs 50% happiness to be created, and defaults to y. Mercenaries have it set to n but none of the other unts have it, and it makes sense that the people don't need to be happy to hire mercenaries.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 03:53 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
Actually, Noblemaster, is it even possible to view bundles like with the Inspect button if they are downloaded? Like a mod share kind of thing?

Not at the moment. However, you can copy maps manual into /user/map_edit/* to inspect them.

Quote:
In spec: mov: terrainEffect, weatherEffect, and frostedEffect, I know those have to do limiting movement, but what do the numbers mean. Horsemen have 5 for terrainEffect, is that the number of action points extra a tile takes?
Those numbers relate to combat. How much stronger/weaker a unit is during comat.

Quote:
Objekts in area seems easy enough, but there are a bunch of random numbers, which I assume have something to do with planars. Do they form a grid system with the planars or something? I make a new city type (for the mongols), so I don't want to mess those up.
Those are non-random numbers and represent the grid for a city/harbor. It's the city-view. After that are coordinates for the various structures to place on the grid.

Quote:
Zoc in spec: own: means zone of control? So even when the option is enabled if set to zoc=n then zone of control won't affect enemy units?
Yes ZOC means zone of control. If enabled, it will prevent troops to directly pass by enemy troops.

Quote:
What is needsBoundHappiness? It it whether a unit needs 50% happiness to be created, and defaults to y. Mercenaries have it set to n but none of the other unts have it, and it makes sense that the people don't need to be happy to hire mercenaries.

Yes, that's what it means!

Quote:
Actually is it possible to upload .zip files? How would I post it?
Yes, you can upload ZIP-files to the Wiki. Please email me at contact at demiseofnations.com for access (send me your desired username).

You cannot upload ZIP-files to the game server.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 17:45 
Peasant
Peasant

Ok, I sent you an email. Although I meant is there a way to upload .zip files to the forum so others on the forum could look at it... but it does not matter too much.

For largenessMax in schema civ: I understand you want 8, but for a small mongol town, exactly what does changing that to make it smaller do?

The wiki is missing some things for schema bin:. Normally I can pretty much figure out what stuff is or just copy and paste, but I have no clue what partitions= is. I think it has to do with units entering and such, but I am not sure what it means? For now I just put partitions=Base/E which is what most land units have. Should I just leave it like that?

What does schema: view: <this> do? Village has "snowy fortified largeness" and I don't remember seeing that in the game, but it doesn't look like code either.

Edit: I have no clue what any of the schema: view: is, like the numbers at the beginning... After attempting to bundle, I typed "snowy fortified largeness" with an extra space and it kept saying that the aspect did not exist (it said aspect does not exist: but had nothing after the colon, should probably fix that unless you meant it to be like that).

Could you help me with those three? Thanks! :kg:

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 20:56 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
Ok, I sent you an email. Although I meant is there a way to upload .zip files to the forum so others on the forum could look at it... but it does not matter too much.

Yes, you can upload ZIP-files to this forum too. Otherwise, for more permanent files (for others), please upload it to the Wiki. I just setup your account for the Wiki. Please check your email for details! :kg:

Quote:
For largenessMax in schema civ: I understand you want 8, but for a small mongol town, exactly what does changing that to make it smaller do?

Actually, yes, you can choose a smaller number. The largeness sets the maximum population size. For 8 it's 1'000'000. For 7 it's 250'000, 6 is 100'000 etc.

Quote:
The wiki is missing some things for schema bin:. Normally I can pretty much figure out what stuff is or just copy and paste, but I have no clue what partitions= is. I think it has to do with units entering and such, but I am not sure what it means? For now I just put partitions=Base/E which is what most land units have. Should I just leave it like that?
Yes that's correct. If you want to be able to host ships also use the following:
Code:
partitions=Base/E,Base/WB
. I guess this and "Base/E" are the only ones you might ever need. "W" means water & "B" means beach. Beach refers to water-tiles next to land. Water/"W" refers to water tiles excluding beach tiles.

Quote:
What does schema: view: <this> do? Village has "snowy fortified largeness" and I don't remember seeing that in the game, but it doesn't look like code either.

It's code that says what schema-images you supply for the schema. I.e. the view "aspects" you have. Let's assume you want to create a schema that has 6 directions and snowy version, do the following:
Code:
view: snowy direction
. Generally, you need to supply ALL images for all directions both snowy & non-snowy. So, in total you would have 2 x 6 = 12 images. 6 for direction and 2 for snowy/non-snowy.

Now, the actual images are supplied below. The numbers indicate the snowy-index, respectively direction-index:
Code:
0-0: non-snowy & direction 0 (0 degrees)
0-1: non-snowy & direction 1 (60 degrees)
1-3: snowy & direction 3 (240 degrees)

Please note, that the "largeness" always comes at the very end of your aspect-list. For "largeness" you do not need to specify all the largeness images. You could for example only supply largeness images 3, 6, and 8. The missing ones will be interpolated. Largeness also only makes sense for cities!

Quote:
Edit: I have no clue what any of the schema: view: is, like the numbers at the beginning... After attempting to bundle, I typed "snowy fortified largeness" with an extra space and it kept saying that the aspect did not exist (it said aspect does not exist: but had nothing after the colon, should probably fix that unless you meant it to be like that).
I believe if you don't have any special "aspects", just supply 1 schema image using "s:".

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2015, 18:20 
Peasant
Peasant

It is extremely time consuming to look up medieval town names. I don't really care about or look at most town names in the games I play, does any one. Would any one mind if I just made names up, or used present day names. (This applies especially in India, where it seems almost every single city was created in the 1600s - after the Mongol decline).

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 03:46 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Yes, it's indeed difficult to find those old city names. I wouldn't completely make them up. However, see what the current/recent name is for the city and make it ancient-sounding! :kg:

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 09:34 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
Yes, it's indeed difficult to find those old city names. I wouldn't completely make them up. However, see what the current/recent name is for the city and make it ancient-sounding! :kg:

Good idea! :gott: Lol for some reason it seems that whenever I look up cities they were always first built like 100 years after the time period. Same thing with the units, gunpowder was spread by the mongols and everyone adopted it right AFTER the mongol empire ended, annoying :P but oh well.

What would you suggest for places that didn't have any specific cities, but more like small tribes (or no records)? Same thing?

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 12:10 
Knight
Knight

Howardopolis would be an awesome city name... :roll: :partyyy:

or Howieville...

or Howtown? :???:

Howard Hill?

Howiegate?

New Ho City?

I'll stop now... spanking

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 09:48 
Peasant
Peasant

KingHowardII wrote:
Howardopolis would be an awesome city name... :roll: :partyyy:

or Howieville...

or Howtown? :???:

Howard Hill?

Howiegate?

New Ho City?

I'll stop now... spanking

I can try to get three or four of those in ;)