» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON)

Post subject: Demise of Nations New Troop Types
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 21:06 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Noblemaster and I have been working on changing things up with the troops you are able to produce in Demise of Nations. Adding more unique units and overall expanding diversity. We thought we would let the community pitch in, so feel free to let us know.

Edit: I set it up on Google Docs, removing the attachment as it will become outdated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Post subject: Re: Demise of Nations New Troop Types
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2015, 21:16 
Investigator
Investigator

I down loaded the spreadsheet. I need to get some sleep so I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 03:31 
Peasant
Peasant

One possible issue is..

For a faction like Persia, .. Do there "Sparabara" and "Takabara" work like current garrison units?

As in do they get fatigue quickly, and are pretty weak outside of cities?

Or are these more like a mix between a normal archer and garrison archer? Like a buff in cities but normal outside it?

If a mix, perhaps all spear and archer units could be a mix?

Or make it so if you have an armory in a city, all archers/spearmen get the garrison buff?

For seleucids, in some quick searches...

Seems they used mainly geek style infantry but maybe started to switch to roman.... but also had Cataracts and elephants.. (I guess elephants from india so if no map includes india they wouldn't have them I guess))..

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 07:39 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

No, the new units are not like the old ones referenced there. That is purely a graphical situation so the artist can know which unit graphic to modify into the new unit.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 09:18 
Peasant
Peasant

Ah ok, I guess the issue was seen because at the top is says about removing the standard Garrison units we have atm.. Which made me assume that meant these other ones would fill that role..

But if you do remove the garrison units entirely, Then my solution might be a nice fix.. Since I personally like the idea of units who are good at defending from a city..

As far as just sprite changes and such, It sounds fine to me..

For armor types, look at scale and lamellar armor, Both seem to be used around this type period.. That would help make them look more different from the roman ones.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 12:17 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Well, they won't simply be just graphical changes. All units will be different in their own way (different strengths/weaknesses).

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 17:01 
Peasant
Peasant

This idea makes me a little cautious at first. One great, advertise-able part of the game is the ability to mod it. So how would people be able to create new maps with out having to create new units as well?

I think having specialized units is great, but most of the units should be more general. Having historically correct names for every unit might also confuse some people. Instead you could make units that only a couple nations can have.

For example, instead of "Archers" you could have "Long Bowman," "Mounted Archer," and others. But then the Romans would only have two, and Gaul would have two others, Carthage would share one with Rome and one with Gaul, and so on.

I am not sure what you guys are doing to the combat system, but currently I think you would make it possible to have two or three different combat types and do something for that.

The idea of getting rid of garrison units is good, but keep the scouts I think.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 01:22 
Peasant
Peasant

Tyler wrote:
This idea makes me a little cautious at first. One great, advertise-able part of the game is the ability to mod it. So how would people be able to create new maps with out having to create new units as well?

I think having specialized units is great, but most of the units should be more general. Having historically correct names for every unit might also confuse some people. Instead you could make units that only a couple nations can have.

For example, instead of "Archers" you could have "Long Bowman," "Mounted Archer," and others. But then the Romans would only have two, and Gaul would have two others, Carthage would share one with Rome and one with Gaul, and so on.

I am not sure what you guys are doing to the combat system, but currently I think you would make it possible to have two or three different combat types and do something for that.

The idea of getting rid of garrison units is good, but keep the scouts I think.

For modding, I just figure I will just edit the names accordingly.. An use the sprites that best suit me.. People who can do art, could still create there own.. entirely new units and looks.. But its no more necessary then it is now..

I think if in the tutorial, somewhere they have something to explain the troop gui better.. That would help keep it non-confusing.. Since that tells you unit type and how strong/weak it is vs various other troop types.. But its also kinda hard to read..

If you can tell what units are basically spearmen, and thus strong vs Horsemen from the gui in place, then.. Its fine if they're names and sprites vary..

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 04:16 
Peasant
Peasant

Caprontos wrote:
For modding, I just figure I will just edit the names accordingly.. An use the sprites that best suit me.. People who can do art, could still create there own.. entirely new units and looks.. But its no more necessary then it is now..

I think if in the tutorial, somewhere they have something to explain the troop gui better.. That would help keep it non-confusing.. Since that tells you unit type and how strong/weak it is vs various other troop types.. But its also kinda hard to read..

If you can tell what units are basically spearmen, and thus strong vs Horsemen from the gui in place, then.. Its fine if they're names and sprites vary..

I like most of these ideas. Maybe you could make the units generic enough so someone could change their name and description and be able to use them in mods?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 17:03 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Re-adding new troop types: if you want to add new troop types (using the existing graphics) feel free to go for it! Adding graphics is fine too, but I am aware creating new graphics is no easy feat!

It's little bit difficult to describe the combat-system in easy words, so in the Wiki you can find the combat-math. Might help understand it little bit better:
http://www.demiseofnations.com/wiki/combatmath