» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A few suggestions/thoughts..
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2015, 17:41 
Game Developer
Game Developer

It's noted. I'll fix it. Little bit difficult for me to comment without spending some more time on the various climate variables... :kg:

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2015, 16:46 
Peasant
Peasant

Caprontos wrote:
Also I tested with my old climates, and continental and tropical seem to lose water naturally.. and don't handle droughts much better..

Tropical actually regens ground water it seems during winter (November and December at lest).. but otherwise is naturally losing water..

Seems like it is losing water very quickly. I started a game and at turn three the water levels were at zero. Tropical climates' ground water levels should remain very high, even during a drought. Like maybe stay around 80-100% and 50-80% during a drought? Also Possibly have different evaporation rates for tropical and desert, and add that as an option when making bundles?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2015, 09:43 
Peasant
Peasant

I thought on the drought/dry climates.. Perhaps you could have another type of farm that is to grow drought resistant crops.. Where you get more food when the water is lower.. and they don't do as well when there is to much ground water..

Perhaps a fruit tree?.. These apparently are naturally drought resistant:

Fruits: apricots, date plams, avocado, carob, mulberries, figs, grapes, peaches, pomegranates, olives, goji berries and prickly pear

Maybe this would let you have dry climates with out meaning farms in those climates are useless..

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2015, 15:54 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Good idea! I added fruit trees to the todo-list :kg:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2015, 16:21 
Peasant
Peasant

Caprontos wrote:
I thought on the drought/dry climates.. Perhaps you could have another type of farm that is to grow drought resistant crops.. Where you get more food when the water is lower.. and they don't do as well when there is to much ground water..

Perhaps a fruit tree?.. These apparently are naturally drought resistant:

Fruits: apricots, date plams, avocado, carob, mulberries, figs, grapes, peaches, pomegranates, olives, goji berries and prickly pear

Maybe this would let you have dry climates with out meaning farms in those climates are useless..

This is a good idea. I had thought about something similar before; make wheat and vegetables have lower ground water levels. Rice likes to be literally covered in water, like a overflowing marsh, so I assume that would be 90-100% ground water. I read http://www.fao.org/nr/water/cropinfo_wheat.html
and it seems like 15-90% would be good. After all I though wheat was supposed to grown in 'dry' fields, so they shouldn't be tolerate mud.

Expanding upon what Caprontos said, you could add two more farm types for very dry areas that don't yield as much but need less water. That way there are three tiers of crops. I know dates are widely grown in the middle east and I think that they are a great suggestion. After looking around I found sorghum and maize are two widely grown desert crops, but that sorghum was more natural. People know what maize (corn) is, and using sorghum might confuse some.

While writing the article, I came across an article http://www.fao.org/nr/water/cropinfo_soybean.html that said "Soybean is often grown as a rotation crop in combination with cotton, maize and sorghum" and continued to talk about how soybean should not be overly exposed to water. Because of this, I don't think that soybeans is a very good option for the wet alternate farm type.

Caprontos said fruit trees could be the dryer replacement, and although his examples were excellent, when I think of fruit trees I think of citric fruits which require lots of water. Mangrove

So maybe the crops could be:

Arid Soil:
Dates yield 12 food and can be grown in 5-55% ground water
Maize/Sorghum yields 8 food and can be grown in 5-45% ground water
Soybean (because you already had the image for it, it could go under this and damp) yields 8 food and can be grown in 15-60% ground water

Damp Soil:
Wheat yields 16 food and can be grown in 15-90% ground water
Potatoes yield 10 food and can be grown in 30-80% ground water

Wet Soil:
Rice yields 16 food and can be grown in 55-100% ground water
Citrus Fruit yields 8 food and can be grown 65-100% ground water

I have tried to make the food growing balanced, yet it would probably need a different groundwater system to work. Also, you should be able to plant all types of plants, no matter where it is. You can plant rice in the desert in real life, you should be able to in the game. Either way it shouldn't grow anything, but you can still try. This would make ground water a more important part of the game (and add more of the options I was talking about earlier). I will think about what an updated ground water program would be like, but I don't really program so I am not sure how to do this.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2015, 16:22 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
Good idea! I added fruit trees to the todo-list :kg:

Lol I spent so much time researching for my reply that you got there long before I did.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2015, 16:35 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
Arid Soil:
Dates yield 12 food and can be grown in 5-55% ground water
Maize/Sorghum yields 8 food and can be grown in 5-45% ground water
Soybean (because you already had the image for it, it could go under this and damp) yields 8 food and can be grown in 15-60% ground water

Damp Soil:
Wheat yields 16 food and can be grown in 15-90% ground water
Potatoes yield 10 food and can be grown in 30-80% ground water

Wet Soil:
Rice yields 16 food and can be grown in 55-100% ground water
Citrus Fruit yields 8 food and can be grown 65-100% ground water

That's a great list! Added to the todo-list :kg:

I am aware though I need to fix groundwater levels first! There isn't really any programming needed, you could adjust the module.config. Basically, add the 3 nature types from above, then add the farm-schemas. I just updated the Wiki which shows the available <out>-parameters: http://www.demiseofnations.com/wiki/mod ... chema-spec

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2015, 11:02 
Peasant
Peasant

I meant programming for a new ground water system. From what I understand, it is based just off of evaporation and rain, besides droughts.

A new ground water system could incorporate terrain features, like if it is close to a river then it has more ground water, or farms right next to each other decrease ground water levels.

Any new system definitely should factor terrain in determining what the water levels are.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2015, 17:01 
Game Developer
Game Developer

That's a good idea to factor in terrain type such as grass, dirt etc. Not sure about factoring farms into the equation just yet. I haven't started quite yet (just taking notes so far). In that sense I'll update the system excluding farms and then in a second step try to factor in farms as well.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2015, 17:31 
Peasant
Peasant

A new possible bug to look in to is it seems only 50% of the skill boosts is being applied..

So like if I have a invention that boosts newly created units experience by 20%, they only get 10%.

Also if you have a training ground and a academy you only get 5% not 10%, despite it telling you its increased by 10%..

In the last patch did you already change evaporation rates and such, or is it the same as before the patch, and is still being worked on? (Before I try to test it more). Patch notes made it sound like it could be either way so, I just wondering.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 01:15 
Game Developer
Game Developer

re-skill boost: let me fix. It currently takes the average of your nation's skill-advance and the cities skill advance. Not a good idea I guess. Let me make it additive rather than average.

re-weather: I think I fully reworked it. I run it through the AI-simulator and it somewhat looked fine. However, let me know what you think?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 06:11 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
re-skill boost: let me fix. It currently takes the average of your nation's skill-advance and the cities skill advance. Not a good idea I guess. Let me make it additive rather than average.

Alright, I think that makes more sense.

Quote:
re-weather: I think I fully reworked it. I run it through the AI-simulator and it somewhat looked fine. However, let me know what you think?

I can't actually see the ground water map in the AI tester.. Can you easily add a scroll bar to the side to be able to scroll it to see the little maps that are further down?.. Or is there some other way I could view it?..

Otherwise I'll just manually test it... Though with the AI tester it'd be easier to see it over 100's of turns..

Also for the AI tester if its easy to add, a way to select the scenario, and not only run the first one would be helpful.

Edit:
I found the scale option in game, this allows me to see them all when set to max SO I guess the scroll bar is also a - if its easy to add thing...

Now time to figure out what is a good amount of rains.. and droughts..

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 16:52 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Yeah sorry, I guess the AI-tester needs a scrollbar! Let me add one :kg:

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 18:10 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
Yeah sorry, I guess the AI-tester needs a scrollbar! Let me add one :kg:

That would make it easier to see.

Also a new possible bug.. It seems every turn when selling food, the amount of food your selling drops by 1. So if your selling 100 food per turn, the second turn it will be 99, third turn 98, fourth turn 97.. etc.

This seems to always be the case for me.. The other three resources don't seem to have this issue.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2015, 18:40 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I guess that's probably cause by food-decay. Let me look into it & fix!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next