» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A few suggestions/thoughts..
PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 16:49 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
The "Administration" cost might be too high. I could make it lower but it might get too easy to win the end-game? Also, it favors stronger nations vs. smaller nations.

What you think?

I think that the "Administration" cost is actually a really neat feature. It limits powerful factions from just decimating everyone else and gives the weaker factions a chance to fight back. Only suggestion I have for "Administration" cost would maybe be adding in a way that counters the total amount of it by a certain percentage.

For example:

Every capital owned: -5% to total "Administration" cost

Tax Office(Building): -3% to total "Administration" cost

Etc etc

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 17:03 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Interesting idea! I'll add it to the todo-list. Definitely makes sense to give players the option to counter the admin-cost using city buildings!

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 17:19 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
Interesting idea! I'll add it to the todo-list. Definitely makes sense to give players the option to counter the admin-cost using city buildings!

Another thing that might be good to have on the to-do list:

Currently, when an AI faction conquers a city, it completely ignores the incentive to repair it. On lower difficulties, this is okay since AI isn't expected to be very smart. However, I would love to see AI cities with walls and fully repaired cities on higher(Hard/Inhumane especially) difficulties. I think it would really "spice up" the late-game.

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 19:17 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Yeah, I think the problem is the AI might not have enough resources to fix the cities!?

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 16:12 
Peasant
Peasant

One complaint that I have about the current AI. When you offer them a cease-fire or peace treaty, they almost always deny it. Next turn, they offer you an alliance treaty. I'm not sure why they do this, as a cease-fire/peace treaty is a much weaker diplomatic tie and easier to accept realistically. I don't know if this is a AI mistake or if something else is going on.

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 16:29 
Game Developer
Game Developer

That's a bug! It's on my todo-list but I didn't have a chance yet to fix.

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 16:51 
Peasant
Peasant

InstantHax wrote:
One complaint that I have about the current AI. When you offer them a cease-fire or peace treaty, they almost always deny it. Next turn, they offer you an alliance treaty. I'm not sure why they do this, as a cease-fire/peace treaty is a much weaker diplomatic tie and easier to accept realistically. I don't know if this is a AI mistake or if something else is going on.

The ai does a lot of funny stuff currently.. I noticed a "Cheaty" thing..

I had Yuan Shu offer me an alliance in a test run, and I was like sure, then I don't have to worry about that direction right away.. But since I accepted the alliance mid-end turn, in the actual turn phase he declared war on me.. Took some of my land.. Then I accepted the alliance thus ending the war, and him being one farm richer..

The moral of the story is.. Don't check diplomacy stuff last..

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 18:11 
Peasant
Peasant

I notice unit have some strengths like.. Spears getting more bonus in defense mode.. or Garrison units getting a bonus when in a city...

Perhaps rather then new units to cover some of these.. They could be an upgrade like the atk/def ones.. but only certain units could use them or.. you can only give a unit a few upgrades..

Anyway.. a few ideas:

Ambush troop.. If they "Defend" in a forest, they become concealed/invisible and will strike any enemies who walk near enough to them to be attacked, and deal bonus damage.. Perhaps scouts can have a chance to spot them if they are in there vision..

A unit who can cross mountains.. but only one per turn.. Perhaps they take one point of damage (or attrition) each turn they are on a mountain also..

A unit who can cross a river.. and like the mountain suffer damage doing so.. or attrition

Attack twice in a turn but gain attrition (so like a shock troop)..

Telescope(or something) for + one sight

If the cavalry unit moved before it attacks, it does a little more damage.. Like a charge bonus.. But maybe only if its target is on grass/dirt

These don't necessarily all fit in this game, but just some random ideas anyway.

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 21:52 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
Ambush troop.. If they "Defend" in a forest, they become concealed/invisible
That's already implemented! Barbarians currently have that option set! I updated the Wiki: look for "concealEffect".

Quote:
A unit who can cross mountains..

That's little bit difficult to do, i.e. rendering. Not sure if we want to go there?

Quote:
A unit who can cross a river..

That's an interesting point.

Quote:
Attack twice in a turn but gain attrition (so like a shock troop)..

Little bit difficult to do because WEGO!

Quote:
Telescope(or something) for + one sight

You can give the different units different view ranges! See "rangeDetection" in the Wiki.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 13:31 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
That's already implemented! Barbarians currently have that option set! I updated the Wiki: look for "concealEffect".

I did see, but I wasn't sure what it did exactly.

Quote:
That's little bit difficult to do, i.e. rendering. Not sure if we want to go there?

Yeah it might be bad.. + it means mountains aren't a barrier that you might want in some maps..

Quote:
Little bit difficult to do because WEGO!

Perhaps then, the unit can do extra damage
at the cost of attrition..

Quote:
You can give the different units different view ranges! See "rangeDetection" in the Wiki.

Yes, I was thinking more an upgrade for that one.. Like attack/def one, since we have a scout already..

PostPosted: 27 May 2015, 16:06 
Peasant
Peasant

One suggestion for a game feature. Maybe you could add in a new tech in game that will reduces the damage of droughts and bad farmland? During some of my campaigns, food shortages were extremely common due to my farmland producing close to no food due to bad weather(Main reason I only use fish boats now).

Option 1 - Make rain more frequent(Easy fix)

Simple fix, probably would be easy to add in

Option 2 - Add in new tech(Hard fix)

Irrigation - Takes 30 gold and 20 Wood to upgrade a farm with this tech. Basically make the field much stronger to Drought(Effect reduced).

Advanced Agriculture - Tech is unlocked after Farm level 2 is researched. Takes 200 gold to research. Fields becomes much resilient to Drought(Effect reduced).

Personally I will glad to take any of the above :roll:

PostPosted: 27 May 2015, 19:49 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
tech in game that will reduces the damage of droughts and bad farmland?
Good idea! Added to the todo-list!

Quote:
Make rain more frequent(Easy fix)

You can configure that in the bundle.config. Have a look at ("storm"!):
http://www.demiseofnations.com/wiki/bundleconfig#storm

Please try & report back what numbers work best. We might steal those then to update the other game bundles as well.

:kg: :roll:

PostPosted: 28 May 2015, 03:38 
Peasant
Peasant

A few AI things I think need considered.. The AI needs to learn how to defend (city swapping is kinda weird in my mind).. How to use fishing boats.. How to deal with food shortages besides deleting its army(I think this might be why they did it I might be wrong)..

Id also like a "Request" option where you can ask the AI to withdraw all its troops from your lands.. and if they comply they move them out and keep them out for a little bit.. and if they don't comply you can start a war with them for less happiness loss..

Also an option to edit difficulty you test levels in, for the bundle.. and what is the base difficulty at now?

PostPosted: 28 May 2015, 05:53 
Peasant
Peasant

InstantHax wrote:
One suggestion for a game feature. Maybe you could add in a new tech in game that will reduces the damage of droughts and bad farmland? During some of my campaigns, food shortages were extremely common due to my farmland producing close to no food due to bad weather(Main reason I only use fish boats now).

Option 1 - Make rain more frequent(Easy fix)

Simple fix, probably would be easy to add in

Option 2 - Add in new tech(Hard fix)

Irrigation - Takes 30 gold and 20 Wood to upgrade a farm with this tech. Basically make the field much stronger to Drought(Effect reduced).

Advanced Agriculture - Tech is unlocked after Farm level 2 is researched. Takes 200 gold to research. Fields becomes much resilient to Drought(Effect reduced).

Personally I will glad to take any of the above :roll:

With some rain tests.. looks like climate his a lot to do with it.. Certain climates seem to just produce endless drought..

Also rate at which groundwater evaporates I think is climate based.. Maybe.

One part of my map is continental, and one is tropical, while most of it is moderate warm-cold.. When I set there to me a lot of storms, the moderate areas all have 100% ground water, a lot of the time.. but the rest of the map sits dry..

Switching out the continental and tropical for moderate-warm and equator.. Has improved the water situation enough that.. now I feel like I need to add drought chance... but imma do a long test (maybe 50-100 turns) and see how the situation changes in the new settings before I consider actually adding droughts..

Edit: Looks like you have a chance of drought even with nothing set for it... So probably not gonna add more.. they seem pretty bad :P

PostPosted: 28 May 2015, 06:08 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
The AI needs to learn how to defend (city swapping is kinda weird in my mind).. How to use fishing boats.. How to deal with food shortages besides deleting its army(I think this might be why they did it I might be wrong)..

I haven't fully implemented the AI at this time. I am aware there are several things that are lacking. The AI doesn't cheat which makes it a lot harder to get right. And yes, right now the AI dissolves expensive troops if resources are low.

Quote:
Id also like a "Request" option where you can ask the AI to withdraw all its troops from your lands.. and if they comply they move them out and keep them out for a little bit.. and if they don't comply you can start a war with them for less happiness loss..

Added to the todo-list. It's actually little bit more difficult to do than it seems. How much time should be given? how much happiness loss?

Quote:
Also an option to edit difficulty you test levels in, for the bundle.. and what is the base difficulty at now?

You mean just for testing/modding? Copy the map bundle over from the game's directory from "user/map_edit" -> "user/map" and you can use the normal setup option to create games, incl. setting difficulty levels etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next