» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A few suggestions/thoughts..
PostPosted: 28 May 2015, 06:11 
Game Developer
Game Developer

re-groundwater/storms: this might need tweaking. I spend some time looking up real-world climate zones so it is modeled after that. However, it might be that evaporation rate is too quick?

PostPosted: 28 May 2015, 07:30 
Peasant
Peasant

I will reply here on the water issues.. so its all in one spot.

noblemaster wrote:
re-groundwater/storms: this might need tweaking. I spend some time looking up real-world climate zones so it is modeled after that. However, it might be that evaporation rate is too quick?

noblemaster wrote:
Maybe it shouldn't just be rain? I can adjust the evaporate rates etc. as well. What climate zones did you test and how do you think should they be adjusted?

I think evaporation is a bit high for the continental and tropical, but it may also be that these two climates don't actually get much rain compared to moderate-warm. In a map with all three, I was getting almost all the rain in moderate-warm(-cold) and a little bit of rain in tropical.. and almost nothing in Continental.

Equator, seems to be able to hold water long enough for new rain to come (granted rain is random, so its more chance)..

Note this isn't looking at much actual numbers, but rather skipping through turns and checking the weather/groundwater paged over the course of like 50-100 turns.

Optional ideas for adjustments.. Bias rain a little bit to spawn on/near farms.. (not 100% but just a little bit of bias).

Add in to farm upgrades small evaporation reductions.. For like better irrigation and such.. So farms dry out slower the higher level they are then normal places..

My drought suggestion in the other topic, could help.. Cause I think everything going to 0 instantly will take a long time for the game to correct... Compared to if a 2 turn drought drooped global ground water by 20% or something..

I am using this atm for storms:
Code:
      storm: smallAmount=20
      storm: smallChance=10
      storm: largeAmount=3
      storm: largeChance=5

And it seems to do ok with a equator/moderate warm-cold map.. But once a drought happens it will take a lot of turns to fix.. Perhaps 50 turns it will start to balance out(depending on how the rain spawns).. Where most farms are doing good.. Which is a bit long..

This map is about 30turns after a 2 turn drought:

The stuff below the bottom yellow line is equator, stuff in the middle is now all moderate-warm.. and the stuff not drought above the top yellow line is moderate-mean/cold and tundra .. and the drought area is desert(which is usually a dry place so not important :P)..

So moderate-warm/mean/cold.. are all recovering at an even pace..

But equator is split.. as 50% is doing well and 50% still no water...

I dropped tropical and Continental in the above map Still testing though.

PostPosted: 28 May 2015, 19:36 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Thanks for the testing! Got it - I reduced the evaporation variable. This might fix the problem at least to some degree!? :kg:

PostPosted: 29 May 2015, 02:53 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
I haven't fully implemented the AI at this time. I am aware there are several things that are lacking. The AI doesn't cheat which makes it a lot harder to get right. And yes, right now the AI dissolves expensive troops if resources are low.

Its good the AI doesn't cheat.. but yeah it does make it harder to make it react in a more human way..

Quote:
Added to the todo-list. It's actually little bit more difficult to do than it seems. How much time should be given? how much happiness loss?

Perhaps it can be like a ceasefire, so you ask for a turn limit.. Like 10-20 turns and they will keep troops out of your land (and move any in it out of it)..

If they refuse it could be like 20% less happiness loss rounded up... When you declare war within two turns or something of them denying to withdraw its troops.. The AI could decide against it when it wants to go to war with you..

It'd be like a "border incident" to justify war..

Quote:
You mean just for testing/modding? Copy the map bundle over from the game's directory from "user/map_edit" -> "user/map" and you can use the normal setup option to create games, incl. setting difficulty levels etc.

That should be useful for testing the maps some.

noblemaster wrote:
Thanks for the testing! Got it - I reduced the evaporation variable. This might fix the problem at least to some degree!? :kg:

It should help yes.

PostPosted: 29 May 2015, 08:18 
Knight
Knight

Quote:
Its good the AI doesn't cheat..

very smart of the AI... the howard cometh soon spanking

PostPosted: 30 May 2015, 13:29 
Serf
Serf

Instead of making a 3rd thread I'll suggest it here.
What about a global economic collapse where every nation loses 50-75% of its wealth which forces all (AI) nations including you to disband units to save as much gold as possible.

PostPosted: 30 May 2015, 15:29 
Peasant
Peasant

Another thought, for modding/your maps.. Perhaps make it so we can set weather changes for months..

So we could have wet seasons based on time of year..

Edit:
Also trying to test drought and such.. Is ground water even able to evaporate?.. Cause its not working for me at all in testings.. I am using this(and removed my storm paramaters, to see natural loss and such):

Code:
      cycle: droughtChange=-5
      cycle: droughtRemain=5
      cycle: droughtChance10000=500
      cycle: droughtPeriodMin=3
      cycle: droughtPeriodMax=10

I got a 7 turn drought, and it gave no evaporation + there seems to be no natural loss like before at all..

PostPosted: 30 May 2015, 17:59 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
What about a global economic collapse where every nation loses 50-75% of its wealth which forces all (AI) nations including you to disband units to save as much gold as possible.

Great idea! Loosing wealth is little bit difficult to pull off though? What if you only have 1 gold and you loose it all, i.e. loose 1 gold. Doesn't really make much of a difference.

However, ditto droughts, I can make it so the global commerce is reduced by -75% or so?

Quote:
Perhaps make it so we can set weather changes for months..
The climate zones already take care of all that, i.e. it changes throughout the year.

What your parameters concerns: they generally need to be on 1 line! However, looking at the code, putting them on separate lines is fine for "cycle:". Please make sure to put "droughtRemain" at the end otherwise it's reset to 0. I'll fix it for the next update. For now, just do the following (list it at the end):

Code:
      cycle: droughtChange=-5
      cycle: droughtChance10000=500
      cycle: droughtPeriodMin=3
      cycle: droughtPeriodMax=10
      cycle: droughtRemain=5

PostPosted: 30 May 2015, 18:33 
Serf
Serf

noblemaster wrote:
Quote:

Great idea! Loosing wealth is little bit difficult to pull off though? What if you only have 1 gold and you loose it all, i.e. loose 1 gold. Doesn't really make much of a difference.

Since we already have that random event where your accountant runs off with your gold, perhaps it could be tied into something like that?

Global collapse would be -5000 gold or 75% loss, whichever is the greater loss. Set it to occur only after Turn 50 so sometime after you've got a nice economy (hopefully) going in the game.

PostPosted: 31 May 2015, 06:31 
Serf
Serf

Yep loosing 5000- gold would work as like a pre-planned event hidden from the eye of the user.
I remember AoC3 had worldwide recession of sorts.

PostPosted: 31 May 2015, 07:16 
Peasant
Peasant

A couple of suggestions:

It appears that every city can have the exact same thing, with no variation. To be a little more realistic and fun, a city could have varying amounts of slots for buildings, with more buildings to choose from. That way a player has to pick which buildings he wants and doesn't want.

This could be a way for more research, to build more specialized buildings. Also, if a player wants to building something else but a city is full, then he could destroy it, like pillaging, but can't build there for a turn or two.

Some technologies are extremely expensive. I feel like there should be more technologies to research, but each one does not take as long. Above for example.

I think the player should have more options. More places to build, more buildings to build (not just in settlements but different types of settlements or different types of settlements or different types of mines). Like instead of building on designated spots, you could build anywhere but some hexagons have more space than others.

I didn't realize it until I registered on the forum, but it is amazing how the developers also made Age of Conquest. Age of Conquest is one of my favorite games, I have several versions of it on my iPhone!

PostPosted: 31 May 2015, 17:23 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Having multiple building locations/etc. is definitely possible. However, I'd need to get the art also. Not so sure about limiting the cities building-slots.

Generally, the game is still not very balanced yet, so until it is I'd rather hold off on too many new building types as it would be balancing exponentially more difficult. Once everything is set, it's a lot easier to do basing cost/expenses on existing buildings.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2015, 07:58 
Peasant
Peasant

I am pretty convinced that water isn't evaporating at all, under any conditions now, so maybe want to double check your changes on that.

This is from a few 50+ turn checking scenarios.. with/with out droughts..

I did see it drop in moderate/cold in a drought and out.

But it never seems to drop in moderate/warm/mean or equator.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2015, 15:52 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Got it! Let me check. The changes I made might just have prevented water from evaporating at all in certain climate zones. :???:

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2015, 17:01 
Peasant
Peasant

noblemaster wrote:
Got it! Let me check. The changes I made might just have prevented water from evaporating at all in certain climate zones. :???:

Looks like it to me..

Also I tested with my old climates, and continental and tropical seem to lose water naturally.. and don't handle droughts much better..

Still seems continental just doesn't get any rains (well it does get a tiny bit but almost none).. and it starts like a desert with 0% ground water.. If it should be drier, maybe start it at 50% and increase the likely hood it can get rain.. Perhaps it does get higher rains in certain months?

Tropical actually regens ground water it seems during winter (November and December at lest).. but otherwise is naturally losing water..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next