» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Demise of Nations (DON)

Post subject: Discussions - Demise of Nations
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 19:18 
Game Developer
Game Developer

For discussions please also visit the Steam page for the game:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/338810/discussions/

If you don't have a Steam account feel free to post here. However, if you have questions/problems please also visit the Steam page to check if the question has already been asked/answered - Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Discussions - Demise of Nations
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 03:26 
Serf
Serf

Hi their! This is my first time posting on the forums so I hope this is the right place :) if not feel free to move it.

As for Demise if Nation's so far I'm loving it, great concept and loving the game play but their are a few tweaks I was thinking of adding to improve game play :)

First: I have noticed when playing Rome with inhuman AI the AI quickly Ganges up on Rome, on the very first turn I normally have 3-4 AIs declare war on me instantly...

Archer's:

I was thinking that if you have walls on your city Archer's shouldn't be able to take damage? I find the garrisons a little bit useless and opt for using traditional troops in defence. Now strangly Archer's are normally at a disadvantage , because they end up having to fight units at melee.

What I was thinking is that you could have a seperate "Garrison" Slot specifically for ranged units, and whenever their is a wall that they would have to break down the wall first, before being able to ingage the Archer's. Archer's would also be able to retaliate whenever the city gets attacked. Obviously archer in Garrison would only be able to defend the city and are not able to attack neighboring tiles...

I also find it a bit strange that Archer's are able to shoot over mountains or shoot a neighboring island ( Rome can shoot parts of sicillia ). Although they should be our main line if coastal defence against troop transports and galleys realistically they shouldn't be able to shoot island to island.

Troop transport

The only things I was thinking I'd changing about the troop transport is the fact that melee units are able to attack ship to ship and shore to ship. Which Is a bit strange ( although I get the concept of boarding a ship )

What I was thinking is making troop transport unable to attack or defend unless they have Archer's onboard. Then the Archer's would be able to attack ships and units one tile away from them. So if you want to use a transport offensively you would have to Garrison a squad of Archer's in it first. Melee units would be unable to do anything until they are back on land.

Galleys

Only problem with a galley is that it states it is able to shoot from affar but has the exact same range as a transport, so simply giving it a + 1 tile range like Archer's would give it a decent edge.

And if being able to just slightly improve the offensive abilities, so 1 expensive galley should be able to take down 1 troop transport border with 2 Archer's and still have half of it's life left or something similar.

That's it for now, feel free to tell me what you think!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 19:43 
Serf
Serf

Mister Master, please, I so much ask, sure all players agree with me, the button is very needed - to "Repair all troops" and "Upgrade all troops", And let, repair all at once, it will on 10-15% outvalue.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 20:41 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Thanks for the feedback!

Let me see what I can do with the galleys. I wasn't sure if I should make them fast/slow while the other combat vessels can shoot afar or vice versa. Not easy to balance. Also, sorry, the text is wrong if it says it can shoot afar (or I re-balance it).

re-Village Defense: that's a good point. The problem is, if I make the troops too strong, it would be impossible to take over a city. Would it make sense to have a city be defended for a long time while hardly taking any damage at all. It's possible, but it would create a lot of bottlenecks.

Anyhow, I put some ideas on the todo-list. I'll try to re-balance for the next update.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 03:29 
Serf
Serf

With the city defence thing you mentioned how about adding seige troops then ? For example catapults/Trebuchet and rams...

Both would be very expensive to build (Same as a galley) and move very slowly however rams would be nearly impervious to Archer's and trebuchey would have a very long range (2/3) tiles...

Both would however be very very susceptible to melee units... So a squad of horses would be able to near instantly Destroy a Trebuchet and melee units can overpower a ram...

This would be your key to successfuly lay siege to a heavily defended city...

Walls would have to be rebalanced to have a large amount of HP ( Just like troops ) ... So instead of simply increasing city defence... Walls would block troops inside from being able to take damage ( Except minor damage from ranged siege units)... Offcourse that would also mean melee troops can't attack from inside the city until the walls are destroyed, you would have to bring in reinforcement from another city or flank then enemy to use your melee.

Personally I think this might make the game a bit intresting for defensive players and make walls alot more worthy to save up for :) ( Like maybe 500 stone?)

Galley

I think galleys should simply be slow moving but heavy units ( Kinda like the Greek heavy hoplite)

Permanent 2 tile range even when shooting to the shore but be nerfed no do very little damage to city's...

Should be able to take out a troop transport in 2 shots and take very little damage in return... (Plus being out of range in any case)

Weakness would simply be Archer's and other galleys...

(Maybe make a fire arrow research? Increases the damage of Archer's against all ships) so even a fully Garrison troop Transport could do seriose damage to a galley if archer are upgraded)

These are simply ideas I was thinking of so add in any thoughts you might have :) personally I'm loving the game so I'd love to see it improve and keep growing :) thx a ton for the game btw!

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 17:24 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Good points: I'll fix the galleys & longboats for the next update so it makes more sense.

re-additional troops: it's doable, but very time-consuming to balance. Also, they are not cheap to create, i.e. the graphics. Rams & trebuchets will have to stay on the back-burner for now. :/

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 19:18 
Serf
Serf

No problem, best of wishes for the game !