» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Retro Commander (RCO)

Post subject: Mission 10 bugs
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 20:23 
Serf
Serf

Will the mission 10 bugs be fixed any time soon? The level crashes after a short time in Campaign mode and crashes the entire game immediately in Skirmish mode.

The mission objective is to safeguard at least one base. The mission ends in defeat even though the player still has bases.

Playing on:
iPad 2
iOS 6.1.2
64GB

Post subject: Re: Mission 10 bugs
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 19:58 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Let me have a look! Wasn't aware the game is crashing.

Is this for "Tropical Stormfront" or "Desert Stormfront"?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 04:35 
Serf
Serf

Desert Stormfront

In skirmish mode, the mission will start if no options are changed but the level will abruptly end in defeat even though the player has not actually been defeated. So far, changing any setting will cause the entire game to crash immediately. I've tried perhaps 20 or so different combinations always with the same results.

In campaign mode, the game will play for several minutes but abruptly ends in defeat even though the player has bases remaining.

The mission objective is to safeguard at least one base. Does that mean ANY base or one base in particular? I have tried to play the level many times, each time trying to protect a different base.

It would be nice to be able to skip a level. What is the purpose of locking levels? I paid for all the levels but cannot access any beyond mission 10.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 17:43 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I just checked! Yes, you only need to protect 1 base station (any of the base stations is fine).

However, in the game you own a commando unit too (humvee with the star!). Please make sure you protect your commando unit too. If it is destroyed you will loose the game as well. You need to protect your commando unit too.

When your commando unit is killed, the game will end abruptly, even though you have bases remained. Anyhow, I assume that's the cause of the problem?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 17:53 
Serf
Serf

noblemaster wrote:
When your commando unit is killed, the game will end abruptly, even though you have bases remained. Anyhow, I assume that's the cause of the problem?

I will try again in campaign mode but there is definitely a bug in skirmish mode. I cannot play the mission at all in skirmish mode if I change any settings. The entire game crashes and completely closes. It exits the game completely.

Try changing settings in skirmish mode. I tried changing onlyone setting at a time to see if it would crash. It crashed every time. For example, I tried setting the number of players to two, changing starting amount of money to a different value, the difficulty level and so on. No matter which setting I changed, it would crash and kick me out of the game.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 18:49 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Oh, just checked! That's indeed a bug. Seems like setting the player count doesn't work. There is a bug in the code. I believe the bug only occurs with scenario 10 (maybe 1-2 others) because of the commando unit in there.

I'll fix it and upload a new release to iTunes! Anything else you noted that doesn't work?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 20:16 
Serf
Serf

noblemaster wrote:
Oh, just checked! That's indeed a bug. Seems like setting the player count doesn't work. There is a bug in the code. I believe the bug only occurs with scenario 10 (maybe 1-2 others) because of the commando unit in there.

I'll fix it and upload a new release to iTunes! Anything else you noted that doesn't work?

I don't know whether mission 10 in campaign mode is working as you intended but I cannot get past it even with difficulty being set to casual. A game should be challenging but not impossible to win.

Also, levels shouldn't be locked. I paid for 30 levels. I should be able to play 30 levels. I want to skip mission 10 but the game does not allow it.

As it is now, the game isn't fun. It could be a great game but if I can't play the levels I paid for, that leaves me frustrated and angry. I asked in an earlier message why levels are locked but got no response.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 20:23 
Game Developer
Game Developer

OK, I'll make mission 10 easier too. Anyhow, I'll upload it to Apple as an new update but it's going to take about a week or so to be approved.

re-playing the other levels: All the levels (even the ones you didn't unlock in the campaign) are available as skirmishes. Just select the map in the Skirmish setup screen to play it. That way, yes you can play all the levels. You don't need to use the campaign to play the maps. The campaign is only there to provide you a means to play all the maps in sequence and getting a score for it.

In any case, I'll upload the bugfix release to Apple either today or tomorrow.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 05:15 
Serf
Serf

noblemaster wrote:
OK, I'll make mission 10 easier too.

In any case, I'll upload the bugfix release to Apple either today or tomorrow.

Thanks for response. I guess I was so focused on mission 10 that I didn't notice that all the other levels are also available in skirmish mode.

I rarely play games on my PC these days. I prefer RTS games but I am mainly playing on an iPad. It is difficult to play without interruption. As a consequence, I usually only play turn based games such as Age of Conquest (which I've played hundreds of times over the past few years).

A feature that would be really nice would be a pause button. That would really set your game apart from the others. I'm not talking about the ability to quit then resume a game later. It would be nice to tap a button to pause for a couple of minutes and tap it again to resume.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 20:33 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Actually, you can pause the game! Tap on the button in the upper-left corner! The game is paused while the popup window is displayed! :kg:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 18:02 
Serf
Serf

Thank you. I found the pause feature. It is very useful.

There also appears to be a minor bug in mission 8. I've played it several times. The level sometimes continues after it has been won. On at least one occasion, I had won the level and the timer reset but the game continued. After a few minutes, the timer started again. The mission finally ended when the timer timed out the second time.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 19:30 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Mission 8 is capture the flag. Is it possible that the building had been captured/attacked by the enemy while you where keeping it thus loosing the flag?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 05:54 
Serf
Serf

I don't know about losing the flag. I'll replay the mission. In any event, why would the mission not end in defeat? I've had several times when the mission never ended. On the one occassion, the timer paused for a few minutes then started again. I won on the second time around. If I had lost the flag, how could I have won after the timer restarted?

Overall, I like the game but it would be nice to have better descriptions of the mission objectives. Also, If there were an Easy mode, it would make it easier to learn the game. If a mission objective is not clear and there were an Easy mode, I could play the game in easy mode to figure out what the objective is then switch to a more difficult mode.

I'll play mission 8 a couple of more times and let you know what happens.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 19:34 
Game Developer
Game Developer

For each mission there is a description what you have to do. That popup window before that mission starts, e.g. "Hold the flag for 5 minutes to win" or so.

For "Capture the Flag" it doesn't matter if you loose the flag at one point. The timer simply resets and you will need to hold it again for e.g. 5 minutes. However is successfully able to hold the flag for the given time without interruption wins the game!

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 16:00 
Serf
Serf

It would be helpful if the descriptions were a little more detailed such as your descriptions you posted in this forum.

I tried mission 10 a few more times but no matter what strategy I try, I am not able to get past the level. Will the update be available soon?