» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Technical Support

Post subject: Official World Conquest lag in North and South Pacific
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 10:06 
Serf
Serf

Hello first of all thank you :gott: for this nice game. banana

I enjoy playing and have bought the world map it is nice but i have a lag in the Pacific oceans, i changed options in the game but same effect, it’s no fun because it’s slow and lagging and some time scrolls fast trough the world.
(I can record that if you need to see how it looks from my phone and post on YouTube but I need to make an account and need some time)

I have an iPhone 6 ios 11 and everything works like perfect, of course I understand that the game can lag because of if many troops on the map but that’s not the problem. Maybe the graphic of the water that moving but idk the problem is only the lag in the North and South pacific, Hawai and little in the Southern ocean on the waterline that goes down that separates Russia and Alaska.

Thank you beforehand if you can help to solve the lag.

Post subject: Re: Official World Conquest lag in North and South Pacific
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2018, 22:06 
Game Developer
Game Developer

The problem with that area is that the map gets "stitched" together in the Pacific Ocean. Graphics are rendered 2x to make sure it's all properly display.

Not sure if I can do much to fix the issue? I did a lot of optimizations, but on slightly older devices, it's possible that things are not always running very smoothly.

:|

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 04:26 
Serf
Serf

Hey Nobelmaster , thank you for the reply!

In my first message I didn’t added the full specifications of the phone it’s an iPhone 6s Plus, Model A1687, A9 chip 2gb ram in a good condition :)
Maybe because some proces in some part or options or graphic systems of the game is not made for the ios i guess that is why it’s lagging..
Because the game and the map works like Perfect no question about that :gott:
Only when I have many troops and the AI have enough troops that is when it is lagging in the (stitched) areas in the Pacifics oceans.

I didn’t checked ur game on pc or a laptop cuz no internet at home, cuz i have the phone, so it will be better and smooth on pc or laptop, one day i check and for now I can live with this.

And could it be possible to make a same map or an option with no (stitched) for the iOS and maybe not a square but a round map with larger water- province around the map like a ring or something?And option turn off the water and wales-dolphins-fish :)?

Again thanx for reply and info and good luck!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 18:13 
Game Developer
Game Developer

You are correct, the game is not specifically made for iOS (ditto for other platforms). It's cross-compiled, so performance is slightly reduced. However, I have spent quite some time optimization it so it runs fine on iOS, but there are always some corner cases which are difficult to cover, i.e. if there is too much to render.

The old version of the game (still available in the games store) are specifically written for iOS, so performance is slightly better. However, it was difficult to make changes, as I had to code it 3x for each major platform rather than 1x as it is now. The code now covers several thousand book pages, so having a separately coded version for iOS (or other platforms) simply wasn't feasible anymore. Also, multiplayer had to be exactly the same to allow for it to be cross-platform. So now, it's a lot easier on development!

Anyhow, I have a more recent iOS iPad and get about 25 FPS around the stitched area (few troops). Even with more troops, it should still run fine. If you ever switched to a newer device, performance will improve. However, there is not much I can do to increase performance for slightly older devices.

:/

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018, 22:12 
Serf
Serf

Thank you for your answers!
Now i got a better understanding! I know enough! (Question solved, case closed!)

Again, thank you and good luck in ur game and with everything else! :happyx: