» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Other Games

Post subject: Units during Roman/Medieval Times?
PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 04:12 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I am trying to come up with units and ships that could make up for balanced game-play. But it's quite difficult. :???:

There is someone that could provide some insight? I am looking for both land units and ships. Ships is the tough one!

Roman Times (years 0-800):
Land: Militia, Mercanaries(?), Swordsmen, Spearmen, Riders(?), Archers(?)
Sea: Transport Ship, Warship?

Medieval Times (~year 1000)
Land: Militia, Mercanaries, Swordsmen, Spearmen, Knights, Archers
Sea: Transport Ship, Warship?

Can anyone help to shed some light? What kind of ships would make for balanced ship-battles. Having all the same ship-units isn't much fun to say the least.

Post subject: Re: Units during Roman/Medieval Times?
PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 02:55 
Knight
Knight

Roman Era
Trireme
Bireme
Longboat

1000 +
Galleons
Frigates
Man-o'-war
Caravel
Schooner
Brigantine
Sloop

(some of these are Renaissance Era ships... not sure there was much besides old Roman/Greek ships during the dark ages around the year 1000?!)

The ChainBringer
The ChaosMagnate
The ModBane

Anarchie à vendre...

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 04:47 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Thanks! How about balancing the ships game-play wise?

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 16:36 
Knight
Knight

hmmmm... in the Roman era i don't believe there was a huge difference between say a Greek Bireme and a Phoenecian Bireme. I believe most ships in use before 1000 AD were Galley-style and very similar. Around the 9th century the Vikings introduced a fast and agile version of the Longship (also a Galley) that would allow them to wreak havoc on Europe. i know i posted Longboat earlier, my mistake! it's Longship! the Longship appears to be the only Galley that was superior to others until the 11th century when high-sided sailing vessels started coming into being.

there's a super-fascinating article on Wikipedia about Galleys... maybe it can help u find the balance u desire? in particular u might check out the Strategies and Tactics section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galley#Middle_Ages

The ChainBringer
The ChaosMagnate
The ModBane

Anarchie à vendre...

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 19:16 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Thanks for the explanation & link! :kg:

Looks like it will be hard to balance the ships. Unless I am making up some fake ship types. Would that be bad to "invent" or modify some existing ship times and give them capabilities they didn't really possess?

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 22:36 
Investigator
Investigator

I'm a bit of a purest. I hate it when Hollywood takes a successful, popular story and changes the story or characters in it to fit their so called creative vision. More often than not the movie is worse than the original story. If they have the need to change something. Then why don't they just be creative and come up with their own story and characters without screwing up someone else creative work.

So, I would say don't call a ship a: Bireme and then put missiles on it. Might as well come up with a unique name of your own and then you can make the ship do whatever you want.

However, if the ship is closely represented where a few minor details can be over looked for game balance, then it's perfectly fine to use it's proper name.

That's just my opinion. :/

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012, 01:50 
Knight
Knight

Star Trek made up their own ships and capabilities... i don't see why noblemaster couldn't do some ship-creating for his game?

The ChainBringer
The ChaosMagnate
The ModBane

Anarchie à vendre...

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2012, 17:12 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Yeah, making up ships in Star Trek, but changing human history (aka ship) is a whole other story! :roll:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 04:50 
Knight
Knight

yeah... apparently i wasn't living in the real world at the time of that posting :roll:

i still say game-balance is more important than historical accuracy :gott:

The ChainBringer
The ChaosMagnate
The ModBane

Anarchie à vendre...

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 06:54 
Investigator
Investigator

KingHowardII wrote:
yeah... apparently i wasn't living in the real world at the time of that posting :roll:

i still say game-balance is more important than historical accuracy :gott:

I would agree. However, I would make the footnote that it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. In general for making a game, game balance is more important. However, EXAMPLE: if one of several scenarios to an AoC map is meant to be true to history. Then there is no problem if historical accuracy does not equal game balance. For those cases when a player wish to re-enact or try different choices in history.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 11:21 
Knight
Knight

agreed :partyyy:

btw... i think "troop transport" is more of a modern ship type. ships of roman and medieval eras were all "troop transports", if u didn't ram ur opponent into the depths, u used grapple hooks to bring ur ship close enuf to board the other ship. the 'troops' were the crews on ships of those eras, i don't believe actual ships specifically designed for carrying only troops were in use until sails (and eventually cannons) came into being. "merchant ships" however, i believe have been in use throughout history... and even most of those had at least a small amount of troops onboard for defense against boardings... and to row before sails where common :roll:

as far as trying to balance ships for various factions, i'd suggest using a basic "pool" of ships, and then modifying each type in some small fashion to give each faction their little differences.

for example... the pool of ships could be
1. Merchant Ships
2. Small Warships
3. Medium Warships
4. Large Warships

and then u set faction differences for the ships... like Greek Warships could have Greek Fire capabilities (or improved ranged attack modifiers), Roman Warships could have improved boarding attack modifiers, Persian Warships could have improved ramming attack modifiers, and Macedonian Warships could have improved amphibious assault modifiers... small ships would have better manueverability (and maybe speed?) than large ships, but large ships would have a better defense modifier than small ships, etc. and maybe factions could also have small differences between defense/speed/manueverability for their ships as well? note... i don't know whether or not the modifiers for the Romans/Persians/Macedonians are accurate, they're just examples.

as for naming them... Large Greek Warship, Phoenecian Merchant Ship, Small Macedonian Warship, etc? i know it's bland, but it's also simple (usually not bad for game-play). or there's prob resources on the internet for what each faction specifically named their ships in those eras? like i don't think everyone called their ships Biremes/Triremes in the Roman era... the Persians for example probably called their ships something more err "persiany"?

The ChainBringer
The ChaosMagnate
The ModBane

Anarchie à vendre...

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 21:43 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I guess it could go that way. There would be only 2 major types of ships: (1) transport ships for troops and (2) "battle" ships.

I guess modifiers are good but they should probably be kept simple? Maybe there are small, medium and large ships as suggested. Smaller ships could be slower. Large ships would be stronger but vastly more expensive? Would that work? Manueverability is tough to do unless it's real-time? Hard to do in a turn-based game. Although the attack/defense modifiers a great idea.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 04:20 
Knight
Knight

noblemaster wrote:
I guess it could go that way. There would be only 2 major types of ships: (1) transport ships for troops and (2) "battle" ships.

I guess modifiers are good but they should probably be kept simple? Maybe there are small, medium and large ships as suggested. Smaller ships could be slower. Large ships would be stronger but vastly more expensive? Would that work? Manueverability is tough to do unless it's real-time? Hard to do in a turn-based game. Although the attack/defense modifiers a great idea.

yessir, i think that would work :gott:

The ChainBringer
The ChaosMagnate
The ModBane

Anarchie à vendre...

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 11:46 
Investigator
Investigator

Usually the smaller the ship the faster it is.

It's only in modern times when the larger ships became faster because they can carry and use bigger and more powerful engines.

Example: in the 1600's the smaller pirate ships were faster than the large warships that were sent out to hunt them down. However, a nuclear powered air craft carrier is one of the fastest ships in the modern navy.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 15:51 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Actually, making the smaller ships faster is what I meant! Not sure why I was writing "slower" in my message. :???: