» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Other Games

Post subject: HEX-based game similar AOC?
PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 21:03 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Working on something new:
https://twitter.com/noblemaster/status/ ... 44/photo/1

The idea is to build a turn-based system similar to AOC, however allow units to move around more freely on the map.

There are two options:

A) Large-Scale map (i.e. 1 HEX is 20-50 km wide) - One HEX would contain towns and units. Although unit-wise it wouldn't make sense to have 1 unit (e.g. archer) per tile, but rather 1 unit would consist of several troop types (archer + caverly + militia). Units ditto AOC.

Problem: combining troop-types to just use generic "unit" where each unit would consist of several unit-subtypes maybe not so fun strategy-wise?

B) Small-Scale map (i.e. 1 HEX is 1km wide or so) - One tile could contain a lumberyard, housing, barracks etc. Towns would be made up of several tiles. In this case, 1 unit (e.g. archer) would occupy one HEX. Each unit would stand on it's own HEX.

Problem: wonder if that would work well for a turn-based game? Movement-wise I wonder if "towns" would not block movement too much?

A) feels more like Age of Conquest, while B) has more of a Age of Empires feel to it. Although maybe B) might not go well turn-based?

I hope I am making sense? And yes, the image would probably fit my description of (B)! Comments?

Post subject: Re: HEX-based game similar AOC?
PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 01:15 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I guess that's more like it:

I guess it won't be correct in regards to real-life. But have to simplify it somehow. I would assume each tile to be about 20-50 km wide. Archers would be able to shoot distance 2. While regular units would only be able to attack the next tile (distance 1).

That's the idea:
- Towns (various size + upgrade options)
- Money: Gold
- Items: Food, Wood + Iron (tradeable, needed to build)
- Unit Types: Militia, Swordsmen, Speerman, Rider, Archers, War- Elephant
- Ships: Transport + Battle
- Skill Levels for Units/Ships
- Seasons + Snow/Rain
- Turn-Based
- Fog of War
- Period: Medieval (Roman doable?)

Please not the image is just a draft (partly stolen). However, not considering the mediocre graphics, that's the idea. Comments?

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 12:48 
Knight
Knight

B sounds a lot like Battle For Wesnoth. 1 unit per hex, units can occupy towns as normal which adds a defensive bonus, etc.

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 16:40 
Knight
Knight

aye... small scale map. unit per hex :gott:

i will kill you and everyone you know... don't **** with me

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 20:04 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I don't really want to go into the direction of Wesnoth. I guess to keep things simple, I think it's best to just go with towns (ditto AOC) but make the units separate, i.e. having a separate archer, militia, swordsmen unit per tile. In that sense, the map is large-scale (spans a large area such as Europe) but the units are separated out (archers, swordsmen...). It won't be quite realistic to split up the units, but for the sake of the game it's more fun to play that way. That's by the way what the latest screenshot depicts (should depict):

1 harbor town
1 inland town
3 swordsmen units
2 war elephant units (Carthago)
1 ship unit

In that sense, there won't be any separate lumberyards, iron mines etc. The town's people instead will mine all the resources in the vincinity. Building-wise there will be only towns. Maybe adding the ability to build walls and watch towers would be fun too, but I don't want to go too complicated at this point!

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 22:19 
Investigator
Investigator

For the large scale map, if the hex is large enough I don't see why you can't have a town and 3 mobile units in the same hex.
For example 1 hex could contain, 1 town, 3 archers or 1 town, 1 archer, 1 sword man and 1 war elephant. You are talking about
the only limitation is the size of the graphics, right?

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 22:38 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Yes, size of the graphics is the worry! Programming-wise neither A nor B or any combination thereof is a problem. However, graphics-wise, I am going for a clean interface. Also, having too many options might make things more confusing than anything else. Also, I am targeting the tile size that is visible on the screenshot. It's pretty big (just right for desktop), but for mobile devices (iOS, Android), the screen resolutions vary and things can get pretty small to view and especially touch. Clicking with a mouse the click precision is a lot higher also.

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 07:53 
Investigator
Investigator

Yeah, based upon the hex size of the above maps. I think one graphic image is best for the scale and details of the graphics.
If you wanted more, you might be able to get away with two elements on 1 hex. The first element would be the terrain or fixed
elements of the hex such as buildings, etc. Then if the scale of the mobile elements such as the swordmen were a little smaller
than the buildings, etc. You could then place an archer inside the castle wall for example.