» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Other Games

Post subject: the other idea...
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 23:06 
Game Developer
Game Developer

there is this old game (it was some free singleplayer German game - I doubt anyone knows about it) I played on my Atari that was really addictive - if you like AO, you probably like this ... The game wasn't very graphical, but it was highly addictive.

The game is turn-based ditto AO!!! (same principle)

GOAL: Destroy your opponents cities/crush them
HOW: You can shoot missiles at your opponents city. However, they can build schields to defend themselves. You can drain their money by limiting their gold-collecting vehicles from getting home.
MAP: one map - choose where to build your city

FIRST TURN:
1. you build/fix up so called "collecting" vehicles (usually around 1-5, depends how many you can afford). The vehicles collect gold, and other stuff which can be used to buy stuff later. You spice them up with different equipment.
2. with the money left, you can buy houses, shields, silos, factories & stuff. you manage your city, basically.
3. you can shoot rockets at your opponents cities (buy them first)
4. submit orders (end turn)

SECOND & OTHER TURNS:
0a. you see how your vehicle(s) run around the map collecting stuff. they fight against your opponents vehicles if they meet. better equipped vehicles can fight/collect more. the vehicles always get damaged/destroyed so you have to fix them.
0b. you see the rockets that you fired and are fired upon you.
1.-3. ditto first turn.

So, the game is really easy to learn - however it's difficult to manage. do you want to spend money on your vehicles -or- on your town. your town grows slowly, allowing you to get more and more income over time. you vehicles generate a lot of money quickly, but you have to spend a lot of money to maintain them.

The basic idea has to be extended - we could add trading and other stuff discussed here. also, depends how you build your city it's better defended against rockets -or- generates more money.

Hope I'm making sense here? Comments? I am aware it sounds lame, but trust me, seeing those vehicles running around the map is highly exciting and annying if they drop into a hole or get smashed by opponents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 23:44 
Freeman
Freeman

cool. what about disposing traps on the way of the opponents' vehicles? like mines and so on, so that your opponents have to go to longer path -> slower income.

anyway, the basic idea sounds just alike the old game Dune (that i loved...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 02:37 
Mercenary
Mercenary

yes, great idea! it�s really a bit like spice collecting...
but it would be a lot of warfare involved.
elefant
now, i know that bio is going to like that, but i don�t know if it�s in chanfan�s interest?
i actually liked the idea of only allowing minor hostilities (like sabotage or bribing or spy on opponents or even give money to street gangs in your opponents city. sth that would not be legal, but tolerated (if not accepted) in a rl society... you�d just have to pay fines, get bad publicity or u�ll loose building points (go to jail, loose a turn) if anyone finds out!

another thing is: i wouldn�t make the ressource collecting too complex: maybe you�ll build mines and lumbermills, but you�ll only get building points out of it.
and technology points for research centers and laboratories...
maybe only these two ressources : tech (or innovation) points and building points.

:!: off topic: speaking of spice collecting: does anyone know where to find pictures of the beautiful map from dune 2000? i was suggesting to mmm tirix to make an arrakis map, and he agreed, but he doesn�t want to do the recherche stuff...

��ur ver�ld steypisk,
mun engi matr
��rum �yrma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 09:48 
Freeman
Freeman

:) nice...:) the this city Simulation me remember one old game... it was SimCity... enyone played it? just wondering?

Atleast picture look like similar to it;).

:). It will take time untill i read all topics about this game;)))

Enyway it should be wonderfull game;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 09:51 
Game Developer
Game Developer

yes - SimCity is cool! I like that game.

Although, the goal is to come up with a game that is NOT like SimCity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 13:58 
Knight
Knight

if you could thrown in a bit of an old game called Nuclear War, Amiga format long ago had Thatcher and Gobichoff in it, you had little citys you set in production, you could build nuclear warheads, send propagana to draw populas to you and launch weapons, was fun with a bit of sim city and a touch of civ

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 16:41 
Freeman
Freeman

This "other game" seems a bit like TinyWarz.

From what I remember reading about it a few months ago (no time to play it) the main differences are: TinyWarz is realtime with accumulated move/building points, has multiple-planets and more combat options (iirc, players can attack other players mining camps/vehicles/...). Ah, and it has some kind of market where you can buy/sell things.

Also, and afair, it's a non-ending game. You just keep fighting/building, with new planets opening up for exploration/exploitation from time to time.

In this kind of "construction" games, the concept of logging in, expend your accumulated "move/build/combat/..." points seems the way to go.

To make a difference, your "other game" should be more like AO in that it should have games with a beginning and an end and a ranking table for players. And a greater emphasys in combat between players would be more interesting, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2007, 12:24 
Merchant
Merchant

@bolder, i have the game dune 2000, but i'm not sure how to get a pic of the map, as it runs weird on my comp....but with some educatin i think i'll manage to get one(printscreen only gives u the current map, unless u want the minimap instead....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2007, 12:51 
Game Developer
Game Developer

yeah! a screenshot would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2007, 22:33 
Mercenary
Mercenary

i mean this big map you see between the missions, when you choose in which areas you move next... just make a screenshot (or two if it�s not fitting on one) and send it to me (or directly to tirix) that would be great! :^^:

��ur ver�ld steypisk,
mun engi matr
��rum �yrma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2007, 18:35 
Merchant
Merchant

oh, that one.hmm ok, except, at which lvl, or does it not matter?+it doesn't hav that many territories, and is somewhat stratego lacking. but ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2007, 20:52 
Mercenary
Mercenary

it�s just for fun, a nostalgic map. and a fast one like the jalas or island wars for only 5 players, maybe 6 (if you put the space guild or the smugglers in). a lunch break blitz, so to speak... ;)
its not important at which level, i think tirix can figure where to put the houses.

��ur ver�ld steypisk,
mun engi matr
��rum �yrma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2007, 13:31 
Peasant
Peasant

If I don't know, I'll put the houses at random :)