» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC)

Post subject: It seems that the limit has been reached
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2006, 07:53 
Freeman
Freeman

I have kept an eye on the top rankings for a significant while now, for obvious reasons, and I have noticed that they have stagnated.

Until a month ago the top rankings rose steadily, but now it has not only stagnated but even declined a bit.
So given the number of newbies, regulars of low rankings and general mix of players seems to indicate to me that 2000 is just about the limit for most of us. We can perhaps reach higher for a while, but when we lose that high up we suffer extreme losses in points. When you lose 58 points for coming in third with a good number of good players then it is tough.

I doubt we will see masses go past 2000 for a significant while yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2006, 08:37 
Merchant
Merchant

I really hope you play also for fun and not only with the score in mind.
For myself, I try to reach 1800, but when I loss, I lost a lot and when I win I win few points.

I supose that a player with around 2000 points is like being the first one and just it doenst make sense to be before the first one.
King can explain better the score system =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2006, 08:44 
Mercenary
Mercenary

when we got more high ranked active players we will be able to reach bigger ranking

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2006, 08:45 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
seems to indicate to me that 2000 is just about the limit for most of us

not quite - it's just a matter of time until the "god"-player is found who reaches over 2200...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2006, 09:12 
Knight
Knight

I think henriqb is right, it's not an absolute, but how far in front of "the pack" the leaders pull that's the limiting factor.

As more and more people get near the 2000 mark, especially if many of the top players play against each other regularly, you'll find games where these players have an expected rank of higher (lower?) than 1. or 2.something.

The initial rise was quick, now things have slowed, stagnated even for a while, but there's still a general upward trend. When the full fron page (10 players) are yellow, the upper limit will begin to move again.

.............Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2006, 09:21 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
expected rank of higher (lower?) than 1. or 2.something.

no, it's always >1. It's NOT going to be 0.75.

Quote:
When the full fron page (10 players) are yellow, the upper limit will begin to move again.

yes, to significantly improve your rank, you need to play against strong players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2006, 10:26 
Freeman
Freeman

But that is the point...

I have also kept an eye on those just behind the leading pack, and they have stagnated too.
I don't expect a climb anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2006, 22:05 
Merchant
Merchant

It's like a pyramid Tarrak, as more new players join they'll gain ranking in their games against each other, and when they start playing other ranked players, will either get beaten by better ranked players, who will gain a little rank from it, or will rise to their natural level within the pyrmad structure. Either way, as the player base grows I think it will end up that the top players ratings tend to increase. It might take a little while, but sooner or later someones going to hit the red, and although the first few that do will probably get ganked eventually there'll be enough of them that they can mostly sustain their red status from fighting each other while also feeding down rating to the orange and yellow players on the occasions when they do get ganged for being a red player.
Thats how things have seemed to work with both the yellow and orange boundaries, & I'm fairly certin that, as long as the game continues to attract more player, eventually the same will happen with the red boundary.

TBH I'm not sure exactly who can join novice games, but I'd suggest that, if it isn't already the case, they should be open to black, green and blue players, still very much a training environment for the new guys, but also providing a place where relatively new players can continue to develop their game, without having to worry about a vet sweeping in and taking them out while they're still figuring out the game's finer points out.
IMO this would help to make the second step on the learning curve a lot more satisfying for the newer players, and as a result I reckon we would keep far more of the new guys.

I also think that a veteran class of game, open only to yellow or better players, would be a nice idea.
Although standard games usually seem to work out so that there's a fair spread of ratings amongst the players, and most will have a chance to learn something, even if they do get wiped out; Occasionally you get games where a load of the better players square off against each other, & although these games tend to be a really interesting challenge for the vets involved, (& also an opportunity to gain a decent jump in rating,) I do feel a little sorry for any newb who's accidently wandered in.
In effect a veteran game type would work to protect unlucky, or ****, newbs from joining games that they probably really shouldn't get involved in.
What do people think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 08:21 
Game Developer
Game Developer

yep, Wart, that's correct. It's a Pyramid. So in order to reach 2200+, there will be more players need at the base ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 12:40 
Knight
Knight

But just for all the Newbies out there

it is possible to get to the top from nothing

Being consistant will get you up there

Being aggressive will send you rocketing

just becarful

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 13:04 
Mercenary
Mercenary

I know a way to create a God player.

Do a match with all the 2000's in it.

Then the winner should get pushed over the 2200 boundary.

Obviously, the others would be losing points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 16:20 
Knight
Knight

i don't see too many willing to ttake a rissk like that but Yellow orange and reds are welcome in

errr i need a name

Boogaloo

i'll set it for europe (origanal) as i know how some are about the other maps

get there quick for the best spot only 33 (well 32) out there

P.S if you think you qualifie PM me

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 20:20 
Knight
Knight

What I hate is all those players that win 2 games and are then placed 12th or so, while never playing anymore (how about something like a 10 game limit to get into the ranks)