» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC)

Post subject: A problem with the latest update
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 02:47 
Serf
Serf

Hey, about the declaration of war...I have a little problem with that. Do I have to wait now that a war between two countries is over Until I can declare war on a country in the war?...And what about a big country in war on a small country? I can't help the little country like this And take advantage of the situation...Now the big nations will not be afraid to make war with small country because they are sure No one will attack them Because it will be considered a gangin...need to think about it more. im not in clan and i take the advantage of the war Between two countries cus 2 vs 3 its not gangin and 2 small vs 1 big its not gang even 3 small vs 1 big... :klugscheisser:

Post subject: Re: A problem with the latest update
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 06:16 
Serf
Serf

After playing a game you can declare all wars you want. It is a penalty of happiness not a limitation. The main problem will be that you will have to fight with a bigger decrease in happiness.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 13:17 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Ditto what Nekonyo said! :kg:

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 22:04 
Serf
Serf

yes i still can but ..Before, there was a punishment, we'd get -12 happiness.
now its -12 happiness + -1 Each turn, So it's almost impossible to help / to take advantage from the situation. What's the point of this change? that will not gungin. but again 2 vs 1 is not gang and it still get the punishment of the gang...so now we need to with until 1 war is over so always the big country will win and become bigger and bigger....you have a punishment for attack country that is in war so why to add more punishment?
:hilfe:

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 22:58 
Serf
Serf

Thank you Noblemaster.

These changes are very polemic because they can be sometimes harmful for fair tactics. But it is far more harmful for gangs and fake wars. I liked the fact of not getting happiness killing your enemy, before the update there were some wars who were decided by killing dozens of ships throughout the sea and crashing the enemy happiness. Now that kind of surprise attack is prevented.

Altogether I think there are more advantages than disadvantages from this new balance system

You talk about small countries attacking a big country. happiness for small countries means less than for big countries and I like when a lot of people try to attack me together when it is balanced. A fair war is when the winner is decided by pure skill and it is sometimes exaggerated how people team up, but this game is not only about skill but it is also about wars and allies.

Maybe you think -1%/turn is a big disadvantage for the attacker, but most times the player who attacks win the war. So maybe it isn't so bad

Nevertheless, I play a lot of wars where both sides agree to fight one each other and both countries are similar size and population.

I'm also afraid that there will be far more multi-year slow games from now on and cities will run to 1 million more easily.

Now that you lose more happiness, maybe as a big country, it is more convenient to fund a small country to conquer lands. I remember why there is a -10% tax for offering gold to other country, so there will be more small countries telling you: "I want to be second, fund me".

Or it is more convenient to attack with your king and a lot of troops unprotecting your mainland, sometimes with funding you can build troops while conquering lands. Even if they pillage you can count the pillage turns and take one land with pillage turn at 1, restore happines and build again (this means a change in tactics, it doesn't have to be a disadvantage)

It isn't a bad update I think now but there are a few disadvantages of course and there is a lot to talk about

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 13:37 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Yes, the parameters can be tweaked. Now that there is a -1%/turn penalty for attackers, it probably makes sense to reduce the 1x happiness penalty when attacking another nation! Although this 1x penalty makes sense, it can be circumvented by gangsters by simply attacking at the same time. A lower penalty makes probably sense?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 23:15 
Serf
Serf

It's common to attack someone on the same turn. So the 1x penalty isn't very effective, but it is helpful. Maybe when a lot of people attack the same player at the same time, the player with the lowest standing should get the smallest penalty and the player with the highest standing gets the highest penalty. However that idea can be used when somebody breaks alliance on you, and you ask a lot of small players to attack you same turn ceasefire ends, though it is hard to accomplish it.

About the new update, the happiness penalty in huge wars with huge countries are really high. For example:

-Two countries, same size 40% map, same population 20 million and same gold 100k. There is a war between them to choose the winner and after some game-play both have won and lost 50 battles and they haven been fighting for 15 turns. If I understand the update the player who attacked will receive all the -15% happiness from turns, but the enemy can get +50% happiness from battles and set economy to 200% easily.
The bigger the countries, the more battles there will be.

So I will share a new strategy. Break relations with the enemy, and let him attack you. Later you can play to reduce his happiness or trying to land everywhere with 1 troop.

I don't know if there are decimals in happiness. But I propose 2 things:

1. A way of asking war to the enemy so both agree to fight. It should work like elections:
      First turn I ask my enemy to fight who may be my current ally or we may have a peace agreement.
      Second turn he accepts the war.
      Third turn the war starts.
    2. When somebody declares war on you your defeats mean 0% happiness for the attacker. Every turn that penalty increases by 0.1% to a maximum of 1%. 10 turns for the player to ask help, defend himself, etc.

I'm not sure about my second idea. But the idea of mutual agreement for wars is something I would like to have, there is no ganging if both sides agree to fight.

I would like more people talking about the update and making proposals :gott:

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 07:15 
Serf
Serf

first I didn't say it was bad update That's what I said there'd be more to think about. And I want to shout something out loud It's a war game
All that dealing with it being a fair game It doesn't fit in here. betrayal, deceive, And even a gangin its ok!!...I know some would disagree with me But think about it If I'm stronger than someone and he sends me a submission, I don't have to accept and I might prefer to kill him is thet fair? no but its again a war game...."happiness for small countries means less than for big countries " Not true. A large country has more resources to raise its happiness...the purpose of the law is to prevent ganging and fake war. but you make a clan limit. and still if some people in this game make themselves an agreement to be in top isnt it diplomacy? And you can bypass the law simply by funding your friend so still you have "ganging".... for fake war, Doesn't it count as a strategic move? The problem is with the AFK. I made an offer here about AFK but it didnt pass. :???:
a Big Country in war with a small country If I wait for the war to be over(because "ganging" is forbidden), the big country will be bigger And I won't have the option to take his place.

Thank you.i rest my case.
now lats the warrr begin :irre:

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2019, 20:27 
Serf
Serf

It's a war game and happiness damages small and big countries. The big country has more resources for happiness but his cost is also bigger. And if a small country is attacked, a good strategy will be to pillage his own land and build a big army with his king while asking for help. If I'm running with my king pillaging everything happiness doesn't damage me a lot.

I played a lot since the new update and I think there will be some cold wars because none of the expert players will declare war. And tactics should not be the same for the attacker and defender

If you don't want to submit, then he should fight you of course.

I like some of your ideas nadav. Let's try to improve the game as much as we can