» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC)

Post subject: Game Strategies and Detailed Mechanics V4?
PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 01:31 
Peasant
Peasant

I am new to the game and was looking for the detailed information about game mechanics, strategies and tactics. The in-game guide is pretty good to start but I believe that many players want to know more details and actual formulas for various things. Someone in forum asked those question in very nice organized manner in the past but Noble Master did not answer them because at that point everything was in significat development and could change but maybe now time has come? Personally for me the most interesting questions for mechanics part are combat calculations and admin cost. What are actual formulas? Like the guide tells how the strength of forces is calculated and which side will win battle but what losses will each side take?

So about strategy part. There is topic in forum for game strategies but it seams to be outdated. Some advises are still useful but some are referring to not currently existing mechanics.

Also I believe many players would be glad to hear tips other players especially experienced ones like top100) . Maybe we all can create discussion of game strategies and tactics where everyone will share his experience and discuss them?

I can start and tell what noob like me learnt so far from bitter and pain):

- Holy **** walls are op! When your fighting human player don't just throw your men at walls with garrison unless u have big economical advantage. Be careful attacking forts and try to maximize use of your own forts. Use checkpoints like in Caucasus and Africa. If you are large nation and you border another big nation fortify it all is manageable and useful. Also quite good thing i found is to grab a province inside your opponent or seashore which borders many his/her provinces and fortify it to force him/her station many troops around it or take it with high casualties.

- Be defended from sea sniping or sure u will be! Stacking 1 troop stacks at least in all sea tiles bordering your provinces will give you vision of enemy fleets in area as stop sniping. But filling all the seas is even better. Also in earlier game might send scout fleets if you can snipe some AIs or careless players.

- I play mostly fast games which are less player-dense. In such games I found it is good to avoid early player wars and try to eat as much AIs as you can. It is better to hit bigger AIs to get more land for less happiness hit.

- Pillaging land is quite op. If you have land which you will loose next turn it is good to pillage it. The scorch earth tactics is truly working in this game. Russia-style warfare is quite strong if you can't currently stop enemy push.

- Manage your happiness from turn one! The better you manage it the more wars you can declare the land you can eat. Also the difference of net income you get from at 50% and at 100% is huge. Don't let average happiness to drop below 50% or you are dead. Very dead)

I would live to listen critiques from experienced players if these tips are best way to go or not. And pls give your advises. Don't just keep your secrets)

Post subject: Re: Game Strategies and Detailed Mechanics V4?
PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 08:35 
Knight
Knight

Combat Formula - what's in the guide is correct, and the losses calculation is basically the difference between combat strengths. ie... attack with 101 troops vs defense with 60 troops = 41 attacking troops left over. however many troops the defense strength accounts for is how many attacking troops are killed, and vice versa.

Strategy Guide - you're not going to find many (any?) veterans willing to part with their secrets these days... there was more of a game community when those strategy guides were written... those days are long gone, too many gangers and shady players around now to be sharing strategies, except amongst clans/friends ;)

Tips - some of your tips are good, some are flawed... but per my reasoning in the Strategy Guide paragraph above, i'm not going to publicly detail which tips are flawed and why lol :roll: :pssst:

R.I.P.

2008 - 2018

PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 10:05 
Knight
Knight

banana :partyyy: double post :partyyy: banana

i will dispense a couple nuggets of knowledge that have helped me immensely for the decade+ i've been around...

1. fight the veterans... yeah you might get your butt kicked, but the best way to learn is to fight players that know how to kick the craps out of people - not the gangbangers, they are only effective when they have their posse to back them... to truly learn this game you want to fight the lone wolf players that you see frequently going on killing sprees - without help - those are the players who actually know what they are doing

2. play slow games and pay attention... fast games are fun, but you don't really have time to do anything but make your own moves. slow games offer the opportunity to really scrutinize what others do, for not all secrets can be hidden from the astute observer ;)

R.I.P.

2008 - 2018

Last edited by KingHowardII on 03 May 2018, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 11:23 
Freeman
Freeman

Hey there (:

I think I am experienced enough to say that I know all the tricks and special ways of AoC and I am certainly always willing to teach and give away the 'secrets' of it all.

I just never bothered to type it down here, but in-game I will always help out someone, who's got a question.

Many others will also likely do so to a certain extend, but in general it's always the best way to put yourself into a competition, which is slightly stronger than you, but beatable mid term. Beatable, if you've observed and learnt along the way.

I think I would have had slightly more advantages without sharing anything, but then again many things can just be seen directly and I like to improve everyone around me to create new challenges for myself.

And let's not forget: when I started out, I knew nothing and made many mistakes. Others helped me out, as well. So let's not forget where we all came from and also:

Starting from scratch and working your way up to the top is the complete journey.

(:

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 18:23 
Peasant
Peasant

Oh wise King Howard II and Curare, thank you for answering and giving valuable advises)

I found that finding games with veteran players is not that easy(

About battle losses with defense bonuses that what I would like to know more about)

Also have few more question):

- What your advises about commerce and taxes starting moves and more generally

- also about happiness management

- I had a game where declared a war on player who left his troops in my territory and it killed in my territory. I know there is big hit when you leave troops and declare but is it the same when you left troops and were declared on? Because that player might declared the same turn on me so not sure.

- Yesterday had a game where was totally rected in midgame and cut to one province minor. But I allied everyone and got huge bust to my standing and came second which believe super unfair to players who did better than me) do you think they should nerf standing gain from alliance?

P.S. In forum people mention some happiness and elo exploits. Can you describe them?

PostPosted: 15 May 2018, 07:44 
Serf
Serf

It's nice to hear from new players who have to go through the learning lesson.

I don't know what do you exactly want to know about happiness and ELO ( ranking system). I also don't mind giving some tips to newbies but I have played too many games that I think some strategies are just common sense and it's hard to think about all of them.

I'll give you a few tips which came to mind now.

- First of all is the alliances strategy, my conclusion is that you can't get alliances from everyone, specially in slow games where you play with the same people always. But you need to make some allies and the best strategy with strangers, in my opinion, is to curry favour of them while you are also benefited.
For example, I have a neighbour "A" which was in a fair war against "B" when a third player joins "C" declaring war to "A". So I'd attack that new player who has joined now getting a new ally and a weak enemy who spent some money against player A.

About the war Aibar already told a lot of things there, Nevertheless,, you haven't thought about getting first turn sometimes and thinking about whether king is necessary or not, those 2 facts are very important and you always have to think about them.