» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC)

Post subject: New map ideas
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2017, 22:19 
Serf
Serf

I have an idea for a new type of additional game modes in a map, besides the standard ones with differentiated amount of nations, province populations and nation starting expanse. I got the idea from the fantasy map, as it is incredibly big measured in total amount of provinces. That in itself is a great addition, as such battles were not possible before.

Anyway, the idea is to take part of an existing map, and edit the number of provinces to match whatever the intended game mode should reflect. For example, based on the fantasy map, make a map with only the frozen dead starting island/area, and make a 1v1 tournament map with undead and rangers duking it out, adapting the number of provinces to match such a setting. Another option could be the demonic invasion, with a game mode of 1v1 vs maldarians, or a new mode like the barbarian invasion, adding a number of nations not currently present on the demon starting island. Yet another example could be the the GB corner of medieval europe, battling for control of England.

Tl'dr: Take part of a map, like an island or whatever, and make new game modes with an adjusted number of provinces. Great for tournament settings like 1v1 or 2v2, or just adding history to a nation.

Post subject: Re: New map ideas
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 07:15 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

That sounds like what we did with the World Map. First we created it, and then we cut out areas to use for North America, South America, etc. I too have thought about doing this for the Fantasy map, as some areas would make great smaller maps.

Currently the way it is done ends up creating an entirely new map, rather than a scenario for that map. The reason is because when you cut out a square or rectangle of a map to use, most of the provinces become sliced up and need readjusted to make them conform with the new size.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017, 23:15 
Serf
Serf

That can probably be solved. I don't know the procedure for creating maps, or if it is allowed or even possible to toy around with official maps, but much of the work could likely get done by modders. So this could get done with a minimum of work from Noblemaster, if the official maps are released. Then it's just implementing a feature for submitting derivative maps to the owner of a map.

Who made the fantasy map?

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 20:20 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I made the Fantasy map, did some map image editing, and put together the new units (graphics mostly from Demise of Nations, some from sources online). Credit for the map image and Demise of Nations units go to our artist Tony. Noblemaster also helped with the map image and created some scenery objects!

So everything I said, is actually how it currently functions. I could totally create smaller maps from the Official Fantasy map, but this would come in the form of new smaller maps, rather than new scenarios in that map. :^^:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 00:41 
Serf
Serf

Quote:
I could totally create smaller maps from the Official Fantasy map, but this would come in the form of new smaller maps, rather than new scenarios in that map.

That could of course also work, the derivative maps could be bundled with the source map. Regarding this [fantasy map] it could help develop the story/universe with unique nation identities or rivalries, natural enemies or just lore. There is a lot of potential, even the basis for a single player campaign spanning multiple, different maps. Not to mention new achievements following such a campaign ^^

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 07:38 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

In the end it would be up to Noblemaster :gott:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2017, 22:15 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I think it's a good idea. :kg:

I thought about that before, but eventually put that on the back-burner as it's not something I could have done very easily. The question is what do players want? I believe putting a campaign-mode into the map is one thing. The question is with the map itself. Would it be limited to parts of the map & how? What would the story entail? Etc.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 05:19 
Serf
Serf

Some of the areas would be pretty straight forward, for example the orcs/goblins area where the player should kill the tribe leaders to sway their support for a final map, or simply break their power and make them fight between themselves. Others could require saving up gold to purchase a nation as mercenaries, like a pirate navy, dwarven infantry or magic support from the academy. Then the final scenario could be the full map, with some nations starting at war, and others starting with peace treaty or alliance. From this point the AI can do the rest, though the alliances should probably be unbreakable.

Some nations require more backstory to set up a scenario, we know very little about Zanthia and Nespia. Are they supposed to be the "good guys", like paladins or ? What about the Legion of Nim, I assume they are sort of a lawful evil empire, hence the Rebels to counter them. What does Afflicted mean, are they zombies, or werewolves maybe? The Frostmourne Rangers should supposedly counter the Frozen dead, but what are the purpose of the Ghervid Rangers, to counter the demon invasion?

All these questions could be explained by a campaign, where the player walks through most or all of the areas, helping some nations rise to power, topple others, recruit mercenaries or simply annihilate adversaries, depending on the beliefs of the chosen player nation. Reasons can vary from religious beliefs, political expansion, border disputes or just pure evil or chaos.

I'd like to help with all this, but I would need more information on the thoughts behind the layout. Maybe this could be a community project, determining backstories and shaping the campaign.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 12:10 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

While making the map, I did think of some backstory to each nation. Nothing wrote down but all in my head. I tried to make it apparent by the placement of them, and some of them you are right on. Such as the Legion of Nim and Nim Rebels and Frozen Dead/Frostmourne Rangers situation. Afflicted live in a once plagued land, the effects of the plague linger with each new generation although the plague has left the land. I could type it all up, if you are really interested. It's not a ton of backstory, but a few sentences for each.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 01:47 
Serf
Serf

Great, that would be nice, assuming we do this ^^

Should we take it somewhere else instead of here on the forum? Or maybe advertise this thread on the ingame message board, if doing the opposite?

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 08:33 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5046

We can talk about it there.