» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC)

Post subject: Yet another rank question
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2006, 11:26 
Serf
Serf

(My apologies if this has been discussed before. Search did not reveal the answers I was looking for.)

Suppose I join two 17-player 24-hour games, A and B, on the same day. Suppose my expected rank is 10 on each.

Given:

- I place first in A.
- I place 17th (last) in B.
- Expected rankings are dynamically calculated as games complete. (This is what the "score" table currently shows in games.)

What if?

i) A ends before B.

My score goes up significantly ("+9") by winning game A. This improves my expected rank on B to 1st. When I lose B, my score drops significantly ("-16"). This is effectively a net loss of "-7."

ii) B ends before A.

My score drops significantly ("-7") by losing B. This drops my expected rank on A to near last. When I win A, my score raises significantly ("+16"). This is effectively a net gain of "+9."

Questions

Why should the order that the games finish affect your final score?

When playing multiple games, should your tactic be to kill your king in your losing games as quickly as possible?

Similarly, when you are the clear winner, should you delay victory until after your losing games have finished?

Is it possible to "game" the system by losing a few novice games -- dropping your expected rank to last in every game you play -- then winning every game from then on? It seems that this tactic would net you more points than simply winning every game from the outset.

-----

I know I have made some assumptions about how the ranking/scoring system works. Feel free to correct.

--SongDragon

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2006, 11:43 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Quote:
Why should the order that the games finish affect your final score?

It actually shouldn't make a big difference. The mathematical equation ensures a fair rating, however, you have to see it in perspecive of 10-20 games. If you just look at 2 games, it's hard for the system to find your actual skill level.

Quote:
When playing multiple games, should your tactic be to kill your king in your losing games as quickly as possible?

Nope. Try to stay alive to make as many points as possible. By the way, the upcoming release will show how your rating changes: +/-

Quote:
Similarly, when you are the clear winner, should you delay victory until after your losing games have finished?

Not necessary - I don't think it makes a difference. You are welcome to check out the rating equation ;-)

Quote:
Is it possible to "game" the system by losing a few novice games -- dropping your expected rank to last in every game you play -- then winning every game from then on? It seems that this tactic would net you more points than simply winning every game from the outset.

No.

Post subject: Re: Yet another rank question
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2006, 12:08 
Merchant
Merchant

I think the expected rank is calculated once when you start the game, and then stays constant reguardless of what your rank does during the course of the game.... I could be wrong, but I think this would make your large rise and fall from games A and B be much closer to each other no matter the order.

SongDragon wrote:

If you can ensure you win every game from some point on, teach me your system! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2006, 12:52 
Game Developer
Game Developer

the win expectancy and expected rank is calculated from the current rating of a player compared to all the other players in a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2006, 01:19 
Knight
Knight

for the tittly peeps

for Q1, i'd have to say that your ranking comes from your scores on a set of games (all ranked games you've played), if you only calculated the rankings once a week, you'd still need an order to impliment them

for Q2, take note of what aschi says, on championship, a game that ended about two weeks ago (ask Mab about it) i got wiped to two lands on Afirca, there i stayed till two turns from the end and a king snipe came up and boosted me up the game table, the only advice extra would be know when it is time to give up

For Q3, you wait some else could scerw you up, don't take chances with a win

and for your comment on noob games id of thought there'd be a cap to the limit it can boost you cos you'd find you wouldn't be a noob too long