» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC)

Post subject: Strange AI Behavior
PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 16:04 

The AI currently behaves very oddly when treating submission requests. It appears to accept submission requests very easily from any players much bigger than it is, and as far as I am aware it does not consider nearby armies much (it would make sense for the AI to accept submission only when it can sees a very large army close to his country, for example).

That previous issue may be a marginal issue, though: the AI also accepts regardless of player distance. In large maps, the AI easily accepts to become a protectorate to a large player, even if that player is very far away from it, which makes no sense. I believe the AI should only accept submission if the demander can credibly subdue it, either by proximity or large nearby army (or fleet). It would be nice, but given that it may be quite complicated to code, that so that may not have much priority...

But now comes the weirdest behavior: the AI will accept submission requests even when it is a protectorate already. So players can easily "steal" one another's AI protectorates. That per se is not a problem; however, when that happens the AI start war against the former protector, and in many situations it is not a good idea for the AI to do that.

I believe it would be a good idea that the AI do not accept submission requests from other players when it has a protector already, unless it really wants to start war with the former protector... I recommend that the same "function" is used to declare war. I mean the two questions: (1) would the AI accept to become a protectorate of that nation (the nation which sent submission request) if the AI had no protector? (normal evaluation) (2) would the AI be willing to declare war on that nation (the current protector) if the AI and tha nation were neutral? Such things are evaluated by the AI in other situations already. I recommend that the AI only accepts second submission request when both questions (1) and (2) are evaluated yes by the AI.

Post subject: Re: Strange AI Behavior
PostPosted: 28 May 2016, 22:22 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

To be honest, it would probably just be healthier for the game to not allow players to demand submissions from AI. Might be tricky to implement. As is, those who know how to exploit it's benefits gain an unfair upper hand on those who do not.

The easier fix would be to just code AI to never accept it... but then that allows players to waste their action points sending it.