» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC)

Post subject: Re: AoC IV Turn Priority
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 07:44 
Freeman
Freeman

Let's make the game a little more fair!

P.S. In case of equality of several parameters, motion priority may be given to those who have previously earlier completed turn.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 09:06 

Let's just not change the very basic principles of these games!

Right now it's deterministic and you can always check if you will go before or after somebody. That's ideal in my opinion.

And sorry for the expression, but best-to-go-first is just ridiculous. That would completely ruin the existing game mechanics and game balance that comes with it.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 01:35 
Freeman
Freeman

current balance, when the priority is defined initially, the better?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2017, 06:48 

It could be random when the scores are the same as long as the correct order is shown one turn ahead.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 02:08 
Serf
Serf

I'm still uncertain about this issue. That is, if #provinces is the first decider, or #points. I think happiness would be a better 3rd decider than population. Or something else, like least population change, to mitigate both aggressive recruiting and sextivals.

I was killed on turn 3 in the tournament by someone going all in via 200% commerce. I had to reproduce it to even believe it was possible to generate so much gold in 2 turns. So, my king in the fortification, one province from his king, and we have the same amount of provinces and no treaties at all. It seems counterintuitive that he moves first simply because he recruited more troops. I feel violated :(

That said, it's the first time I encountered that specific strategy, and it is easy to defend against. I should have known when he made 99 navy with king on turn 1, while I was just sending him a friendly message suggesting peace. I'm more angry at myself for not recognizing the obvious aggression.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2017, 18:41 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I don't mind changing it again, but I am not looking forward to change it every couple of months.

The question is, what's the system that makes the most sense?

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 02:24 
Serf
Serf

Troop count maybe? So it would be:

#provinces < #points < #troops

Then it won't matter that much if popuation or happiness or something entirely else is 4th decider, and it could inspire people to disband more often. But you won't be able to steal first move since disbanding happens once movement is set to happen.

I think more people need to weigh in on this one.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 04:46 
Serf
Serf

I think there is not an easy solution about the turn priority because it works good on Supremacy and Domination because the larger country and with more support (alliances, protectorates...) moves later and balances the advantage of more AP they have even though they have a large wasteland as ainu people in Japan where it is a lot of land without population and is weaker than a lot of countries but it makes sense because he has more AP and doesn't really change that fact.

What I propose is to keep like it is in Supremacy and Domination which works well, but annihilation, capture the flag and defense it should be by country size> population> happiness.

I'd want to know what you can improve from what I said but I think that those 3 objectives have an useless turn priority because:

Annihilation- You can place many troops in few land and move before countries 10 times smaller than you can.

Capture The Flag. It's OK that the last one to move is who holds the flag but the others should follow an organized method.

Defense. It just helps the defenders first and the offensive later that makes little sense and it should be better by country size...

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 00:00 
Serf
Serf

the person who first made the send button.
it would have been fairer.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 08:27 
Serf
Serf

I know there have been a lot of opinions here already (is steam coming out of your ears yet Noblemaster?) but I think there is a very simple method which would not ruin the game mechanics and would kind of make sense.

I think it should just be by population size of that nation (not standing in the game, number of territories, etc) So the person with the least population goes first, next highest next, etc. I think it very unlikely that many people would ruin there own population just to go first. The chances of an exact tie with population sizes must be extremely small but then you could use happiness or other figures to decide on a tie.

In the unliklely event that someone wrecked their own populations just to go first it would be hard for them to regain it very quickly or easily. Those with big populations would of course be going last but are potentially getting lots of gold each turn to compensate!

Just my two pence worth thrown in.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 16:40 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I don't mind changing it again, but I don't think we have a census so far. Everyone seems to have a slightly different opinion how to do it best. Also, I still think how it is now makes sense. There is no perfect answer no matter how hard we try!