» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC)

Post subject: Strategy Guide (V2)
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 13:20 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I am updating the web site, so this is now back in the forum (mostly applies to V2).
Authors: Based on comments by KILLER76, Tarrak and Smacked.
See also: viewtopic.php?t=738

Missed Turns Equals Death!
Becareful not to play some of the fast paced games if you can't login to play them.

Kings
# Protect your king! Don't have your king on a coastal province, if at all possible find another secure spot, not bordering anyone.
# Capturing inactive kings can get you lots of easy gold. And usually the starting provinces have more population than others. You can tell inactives by checking their province`s populations and they don't gain any new provinces.
# And remember, if you put your king in a town all the other players can see where he is. So it's often a good idea to keep kings away from towns if you have the means to do so.

Morale
# It is very important not to increase your tax rate too much. You should never increase it past 10%, unless you're under attack and despritely need the gold, and then I wouldn't go past 20%.
# There was just recently changes made involving morale so my old strategy is useless now. Previously I'd set my taxes to 0% for the first two turns, then raise it to 10% keeping it there. Basically I was giving up like 10k gold at the start, but in long run my population would outgrow others so i'd be making more than them. But I don't think that will work anymore... Usually 0% taxes increases morale 10%...

Expanding
# At the start it is important to expand taking as many neutral provinces as you can before they're all taken by others. On most maps armies of 720-730 is enough to capture a neutral province. Think ahead sending multipules of 720-730 depending on the number of provinces you want to take in that direction, basically each time you have to recruit or get mercs you use a turn you could have spent taking another province so don't do it unless you have to.
# Beware of attacking neutral provinces that border other players since they're likely to be sending their own army, colliding with yours. Usually a good idea to send extra army to make sure you capture the province, not them. It helps to make this move the last one of you moves because that way it is more likely you will go in last and lose less troops by doing so.

Diplomacy
# It's always best to ally/nap everyone you can at the start, at least those as big or bigger. Most will ally/nap almost anyone at the start however as the game goes on they'll get more and more allies/naps and less players they can target, so they'll get more strict on accepting. It's always better to have too many ally/naps than not enough, after all you can always decide to cancel some later. Almost every game I lose I got ganged up on, usually one person will attack making you fall behind, then another person joins in, and then another trying to get some easy gains.

Attacking - When
# I usually perfer sending an army out starting a war on a odd turn. So the next turn's even and all their provs you just took makes you gold.

Attacking - Who
Ask yourself these questions:
# is there anyone else who might attack me while I'm attacking this guy?
# are they able to strike my provinces with large numbers?(trying to protect a large border can be costly)
# if it's a distant fight, do they have the population for me to recruit when I take some of their provinces?

Attacking - Where
# target provinces with high populations, it will let you recruit more army and increase your income.
# try to find their king, taking their king can save you the trouble of taking alot of their provinces by force.
# alot of times you can use allies that border your target, having them build towers so you can see how much army you're facing. Also be aware that others could be doing the same to you.

Recruiting Vs Mercs
# Recruiting can sometimes get you a large amount of army in just 1 turn, but you have to wait a turn to get them. While mercs always cost the same, but it takes several turns to get a large number since it's only 5k at a time. But mercs are ready in the same turn unlike recruiting. When you have spare turns I usually perfer mercs since you can move faster, using recruiting for defence and to get the really large armies.

Attacking - Defensive Bonuses

# Like it says in the manual, 80% for forts, 50% towns, and 30% king. So remember to send enough when attacking a province with these.
# when you find yourself fighting more than one player at a time, it's best to just focus on one of them, going right after their king, using forts playing defence on the other(s).

Tax and Spending Table
This is the table for spending, and how much it will increase or decrease your economy. So always use the lower number
* 0-19% = -9
* 20-36% = -8
* 37-51% = -7
* 52-64% = -6

* 65-75% = -5
* 76-84% = -4
* 85-91% = -3
* 92-96% = -2
* 97-99% = -1
* 100-100% = 0
* 101-103% = +1
* 104-108% = +2
* 109-115% = +3

* 116-124% = +4
* 125-135% = +5
* 136-148% = +6
* 149-163% = +7
* 164-180% = +8
* 181-199% = +9

When starting a war:
Strike as hard as you can. That doesn't mean with as many troops as you can get. It means get as many provinces as you can get in one hit. That weakens the enemy hugely for a response, and might just be enough for you to win against stronger factions.

When having a long coastline:
This is important, almost as much as the first.
Coastlines are like borders, they need to be protected against enemies. So when at war, getting his coasts should be your prime objective. Even if you have to use more forces to do it.
It is far better to use 200 ships once, than keeping 100000 troops for turn after turn (also remember that troops drain the population, which drains the income). So if he has two coasts, HIT THEM! That saves you a lot of trouble.

If hit by a coastal power:
Well, I have pretty much said it, hit his coasts.
But it is harder to determine what to do. Should you strike as many provinces as possible? Or strike a few with overwhelming power?
Both have advantages, as the first might gain you the upper hand (obviously), but the second is more secure.

Generally going for the second option is best. Most players with long coasts, attacking you will protect them. Better to gain something than nothing.
Also, while gaining a single province might not be worth much at first glance, it is the threat of landings that will keep him on his toes. Forcing him to recruit forces to repel your initial landingforce (say 20000, which will mean about 12000 in every coastal with fortification), is a very good thing. Also, he will need to recruit troops around the landingsite. So recruiting all the population will make it a great threat (are you building boats for them all? Are you going to attack inland?). So targeting provinces with a lot of borders will be best. There is a province in southern France that borders 7 others and still have a coastline, a perfect target, as he will need to recruit troops in all 7 (if he owns them) to keep you out. However he might not be able to do that (it is after all rather expensive), so be sure to build a tower in case he leaves an opening.
If you can keep hopping around, draining the provinces, you will hurt his economy greatly. Drained provinces cost more than they generate (if he keeps economyspending higher than 100%), and the lack of income from the population is also hurting.

Protecting long coastlines:
If you happen to not be able to get all the enemy's coastals, then you must look to your defenses. Find out how far he can strike, two turns is the limit. So provinces that can't make landings on his coastals, don't need protection at the moment.
Also, it is far more important to protect the 1-turn provinces than the 2-province ones. Since you are likely the aggressor, you needn't fear the 2-turn attacks right away. If you can't protect all those, then you need to protect the vulnerable ones. Are they isolated? Maybe you don't need to protect them as much as others. Are they low on pop? Have they got a lot of borders? Do they open up for many many more of your lands (by getting him into another travelzone)? All need to be considered, and you need to find your own balance there, there is no set rule for that. But you need to consider it all to be effective.
And finally protecting a few provinces with good forces is better than protecting a lot with insufficient forces.

Disbanding:

Troops become population... And troops cost half a gold each in upkeep. So you can see where I'm going. Drained provinces are expensive and they recover very slowly. If you don't need the army, or as many troops, then for all reason disband some. You get more money next time, and you get a lower upkeep. Win/win.
If you are at an impasse, where you have created a wasteland between you, but you have large standing armies between you, and money is not really an issue. Then it might be time to disband troops to give the population some recovery. It is risky, but the next turn the increased population could give you the edge needed for the next offensive. However do not do this if you expect him to attack, as he might just gain that rejuvenated population. Another balancing act.
When allied to all players, then disband all troops. No need to keep them around. It takes long enough to cancel alliances for you to respond. Better to get more money for a while.

Fortifications:
They are relatively cheap in both MP and money (no upkeep). Use them as much as possible. Landingforces have priority as counterattacks are almost certain.
However fortifications are expensive early on (again in money and MP), so it might be a waste to use them then. But on the other hand the fortification can signify that you are strong in defense there, and might save you an attack. It can certainly be used for deception, but be careful.

Know when you can't stop the enemy:
Often it is futile to fight the enemy on all fronts. It might be money or MP or both that you lack, but often you can't respond to everything. Pick the most important.

Also, know when you are overstretched on the main front. Do not be afraid to fall back. Chokepoints can save a losing faction from annihilation if you fall back before it is too late. If you have enough money you can hold out for a long while on a 1-2 province front. You might even be able to drain the surrounding provinces so much that killing you isn't worth it in time and money for the other faction.

Post subject: Re: Strategy Guide (V2)
PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 14:39 

You should not leave your king unprotected. But sometimes it is usefull to leave your king in the border, for the defense bonus, as long as you are sure you wont loose it!

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 17:10 
Knight
Knight

KranImpire wrote:
You should not leave your king unprotected. But sometimes it is usefull to leave your king in the border, for the defense bonus, as long as you are sure you wont loose it!

This isn't worth the risk against a smart opponent, he'll merc just enough troops to take the prov and you're out of the game.

This is the **** internet! :x I will behave any way I damn well please! ~Anonymous

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 17:42 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

lucjan wrote:
KranImpire wrote:

This isn't worth the risk against a smart opponent, he'll merc just enough troops to take the prov and you're out of the game.

Only if he has the population to merc enough men. If he doesn't, then your king is safe ;)

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 19:28 
Knight
Knight

Unless he's smart and keeps a substantial number of troops in the prov directly behind that you can't see. Pop them all in on one turn and then your king is fried on the next. Don't border your king. It's a bad idea.

This is the **** internet! :x I will behave any way I damn well please! ~Anonymous

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 19:50 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Yeah but you'd see them and be able to move your king!

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 21:27 
Knight
Knight

then your kings on the run with nowhere to go, using your king has a defense chip while may look like a sound jugement is infact the dumbest thing you can do, only at a bottle neck wth suport troops behind should it be done an then only if you know your opponate hasn't got the resouces to take you down for 5-8 turns it'll add a few more turns to your life and you can hope they run out of spare income before you do, in which case your still dead when the backstabber decides it's time to move

play smart, play safe, and protect your king

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 08:47 
Knight
Knight

Woot for bio! banana

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 10:06 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

:motz: I still think it's a smart move and I've never had it backfire on me. It's good to entice the enemy to attack and waste their men.

PostPosted: 07 May 2010, 10:40 
Knight
Knight

Well i don't think i have already move my king to add the +0.3 bonus, principaly cause it's cost several turns and also moves of course to do it, and then because it would be given an info to my oponant and help him in this way for his strategy. But yeah in an other hand i've already and often let my king on border if there were not enough pop to take my royal land.
So yes it can be very usefull against a noob in the begining of a neighbor war, but then later in the party i would prefer keep it in a safe position to not have to worry about it.
So i'd say do it if you exactly know what you're doing and also don't miss turn. ;)

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 06:45 
Knight
Knight

Never put your king on the border if it can be avoided at all. Ever.

But sometimes I will put him near a defensive border, at least one province back. That way I get the pop growth bonus if I need to recruit heavily in the area.

.............Image

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 07:08 
Investigator
Investigator

TotalLoss wrote:
But sometimes I will put him near a defensive border, at least one province back. That way I get the pop growth bonus if I need to recruit heavily in the area.

There's a population growth associated with the king? What's the increase value?

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 09:16 
Knight
Knight

Just checked the formula, there's a pop bonus for town but i don't see any for King...
Code:
x = p + (p*(25/100)*(e/100)*(m-50)/50) + (p*(15/100))*t

x = new turn pop
p = last turn pop
e = province economy
m = province morale
t = 0 (without a town) t = 1 (with a town)

There's a king bonus for money, maybe TL mix the 2 formula :pssst:

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 09:41 
Investigator
Investigator

:cooler:

Thanks Claymore

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 01:37 
Knight
Knight

it;s not a direct effect on population growth, it's to do with a morale increase gained from the king that effects the pop growth of the province, i've followed simular lines to TL and belive i do gain something for holding close by to large recuitment areas