» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC)

Post subject: Bio's manuel on how to start playing
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 10:55 
Knight
Knight

ok this is for all the new players that ask me how to i play as i write it in the chat box too much

first you should of registered and gotten a name, if you haven't then do this first your name may not be available

right now thats out of the way, you are classed as a novice you can join a novice game before you join others, so click the longhaul button in the top left, and then the join button in the top right, now you will see lots of games so use the filter for game type and change it to novice, if no games are present, use the chat panel and ask if someone can set one up as setting up games can only be done by full members to stop a thousand games being created, once ones created click the join button, select a faction from the list on the right hand side and click join again at the bottom, the game is now in your games list, click goto and play for running games

now your in a game, you will first see last turns moves, as it's the first turn there was none so you can click none in the top right and then click next, none shows none of the moves done last turn, mine shows only deaths and your turns, relate shows your turns and those of your allies and all of course, shows all the turns. the second part of your turn is the stats screen, the first one you see is a graph and list of total points, this is your provinces plus and points gained from allies or naps (none aggression pacts), the next two are your province total with a graph then a map, then comes the economy graph and map (the map shows a plus or negative change), and last is the morale graph and map

now click next once more to get to the tax and spending screen this allows you to select how much tax your population as to pay and how much you are going to spend on improving provinces, it also show current costs of any army and ships you may hold, the general guide is never raise tax above 10% and don't drop spending bellow 100% once your happy with your selection then click next once more

Now you finally get to make your first turn, phew, bet you thought you'd never get here, first you should see your province the one with the yellow numbers on it, click it, this shows the name of the province, the population in the province (max 50k), controlling faction and owners name along with options for use these are -

Move - allows you to move troop, first click the button move the mouse to the province you want to attack or move too, there should be an arrow showing that you can move there, click it then select army, ship or king (note ships are automatically assigned for navel movements of armies) then select how many to move using the arrows, click ok and your done

Merc - allows you to recruit up to 5k troops to use this turn cost one movement point and takes from that provinces population directly

Recruit - takes troops from a wider area, available next turn, and cost one movement point, maximum recruitment depends on the population in the surrounding area, and how much gold you have

ship+ - to buy ships, cost one movement point and 250 gold per ship, you require 1 ship for 100 troops

Fortify - builds a +80% defense bonus in the province selected, costs 6k gold and half a movement point

Tower - allows you to see the troop deployments in connecting provinces, costs 3k gold and 0.3 of a movement point

Army- - disband army, any disbanded army return directly into the province selected any over the 50k population maximum are just gone, costs 0.2 movement points

Ship- - sells ships, you get 180 gold for every ship you sell, costs 0.5 movement points

if you click on another faction other than your own you get more options these are -

Ally - makes a request for alliance with that faction, they receive a message next turn which they can accept or reject, most will accept, frowned upon to break without good cause, costs 2 movement points

NAP - none aggression pact, works a bit like an alliance but ok to break, for that little bit of protection you need, costs 1.5 movement points and requires acceptance

CF - cease fire puts a unbreakable bond in place for a set number of turns, does require opposition acceptance, costs 1 movement point

Mesg - you can write a message to the guy limited on size, but only costs 0.1 movement points

X-ally - cancels your alliance, as stated above most will take offense if you break without message, costs 2.8 movement points and puts in place a 3 turn cease fire

X-NAP - cancels your NAP and puts in place a one turn cease fire, cost unknown at this time

Help - allows you to send gold to the person click it then select with the arrows how much to send, costs 0.5 movement points

once you have complete your turn you click the end turn button and wait for the next turn to come, if you made a mistake or want to change your moves you can select quit and start over, or if you've selected to end turn you can click the game again from your list and click reset to redo your turn

you should now be able to start playing check the forum for more posts on game play strategy

i have pics but as there from currently running games i'll place them in when they don't put my men at risk

Last edited by Biohazard on 20 Apr 2008, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 14:13 
Merchant
Merchant

note: you don't HAVE to join a novice game, it just tells u u should, that's as far as i got, srry :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 20:58 
Knight
Knight

thanks petr, when was that changed?

it's alright apart from how many movement points it costs to break a NAP, everything else is spot on, unless someone wants to read it all and edit it, it's a guide for the noobs so i didn't think it would intrest you, i just seem to be writing it out forever in the chat box so now it's here and i, and hopefully everyone else can point them here for help

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 05:57 
Freeman
Freeman

Great idea to put it here Bio!

After all:

"Efficiency is the highest, most sophisticated degree of laziness"

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 06:25 
Knight
Knight

i see all these noobies asking for help on how to play and i never see anyone trying to help them as much as i do, maybe peeps see that i'm on and think, never mind bio will do it, but in the last week alone i've had four peeps where i'd written it all out in the chat box, i feel if peeps can just say go to the forums and look up this thread, one they can read it at there own speed, and two i don't have to re-write it every other day, it is only the basics but it should get everyone going

and there is a degree of lazyhytus in there :ops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 06:32 
Official AoC Champion
Official AoC Champion

On that note: wouldn't it be nice if we were able to copy and paste into the chat? You know, links dialog etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 06:39 
Knight
Knight

depends if anyone every uses this though, i surpose it could get linked in the area where the ranking link is but that would have to be at aschi's discretion and if anyone other than us finds it useful, but as he's not mentioned anything about it, and no one as been direct here yet then theres no guide to how useful this thread is, i could of just wasted the half hour it took, but in about a week when the pics are safe i'll stick them in and it should improve the thread tremendously (and yes i wrote that right first time)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 06:41 
Official AoC Champion
Official AoC Champion

Nothing to drink yet today, eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 06:44 
Knight
Knight

lol how you guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2008, 06:57 
Freeman
Freeman

i am lazy as well only read first line sry bio i might prof-read it some other time . and yes if your on line i leave it to you to help them lol its to hard to explan to noobs how to play at least i find it to hard

good job bio :gott:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2008, 07:39 
Serf
Serf

I am new to the game. I have downloaded the game. Read the tutorial, and played the demo until I won. I have one problem. I don't know how to use ships for transporting troops. I tried multiple times in the demo. Here you mention to buy a ship. Is there a place which shows step by step how to send troops by ship?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2008, 07:48 
Knight
Knight

i thought i mentioned it above but here you are, to move troops by ship all you need to do is move army over the sea, it will automatically assign ships to transport your troops, try it out, get a coastal province, get 1100 troops there buy 10 ships and move the army over a sea route you wil find that even though yu have 1100 troops you can only move 1000 which is an indicator that all 10 ships have been used click ok when you want to move them and hey presto you have sea movement

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2008, 08:02 
Serf
Serf

Ok. Thank you for your help. So, the ships basically disappear after combat? You need to buy more for next battle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2008, 09:14 
Knight
Knight

this is surposed to be an helpful thread on how to start playing mate all the other info you need is on this forum scattered in a thousand post, but because i'm an helpful soul (lol shut it) i'll tell you what happens

you buy your ships to transport your men, so you fill them up and send them on their way, when they land your army disembarks and attacks the stationed troops there, if your attack is sussesful 90% of the ships used will be in the province you just attacked, if your attack fails the opponate gains 25% of the ships used and you get bo-diddly, and if you transport troops from a province you own to another province in your control no ships are lost

it's standard pratice by most of the older players to sell ships after use and incur the 70 gold cost to make new ones rather than move them back, taking time and costing money at every income

hope thats cleared it up for you

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2008, 14:25 
Merchant
Merchant

upkeep is pretty cheap, and the sale of ships usually depends on how soon you're planning to use them, if it's in more than 2 turns i sell, cuz i'll probably need the bank right away :^^: