» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC)

Post subject: Re: Bio's manuel on how to start playing
PostPosted: 17 May 2008, 12:49 
Mercenary
Mercenary

Biohazard wrote:
ok this is for all the new players that ask me how to i play as i write it in the chat box too much

first you should of registered and gotten a name, if you haven't then do this first your name may not be available

right now thats out of the way, you are classed as a novice you can join a novice game before you join others, so click the longhaul button in the top left, and then the join button in the top right, now you will see lots of games so use the filter for game type and change it to novice, if no games are present, use the chat panel and ask if someone can set one up as setting up games can only be done by full members to stop a thousand games being created, once ones created click the join button, select a faction from the list on the right hand side and click join again at the bottom, the game is now in your games list, click goto and play for running games

now your in a game, you will first see last turns moves, as it's the first turn there was none so you can click none in the top right and then click next, none shows none of the moves done last turn, mine shows only deaths and your turns, relate shows your turns and those of your allies and all of course, shows all the turns. the second part of your turn is the stats screen, the first one you see is a graph and list of total points, this is your provinces plus and points gained from allies or naps (none aggression pacts), the next two are your province total with a graph then a map, then comes the economy graph and map (the map shows a plus or negative change), and last is the morale graph and map

now click next once more to get to the tax and spending screen this allows you to select how much tax your population as to pay and how much you are going to spend on improving provinces, it also show current costs of any army and ships you may hold, the general guide is never raise tax above 10% and don't drop spending bellow 100% once your happy with your selection then click next once more

Now you finally get to make your first turn, phew, bet you thought you'd never get here, first you should see your province the one with the yellow numbers on it, click it, this shows the name of the province, the population in the province (max 50k), controlling faction and owners name along with options for use these are -

Move - allows you to move troop, first click the button move the mouse to the province you want to attack or move too, there should be an arrow showing that you can move there, click it then select army, ship or king (note ships are automatically assigned for navel movements of armies) then select how many to move using the arrows, click ok and your done

Merc - allows you to recruit up to 5k troops to use this turn cost one movement point and takes from that provinces population directly

Recruit - takes troops from a wider area, available next turn, and cost one movement point, maximum recruitment depends on the population in the surrounding area, and how much gold you have

ship+ - to buy ships, cost one movement point and 250 gold per ship, you require 1 ship for 100 troops

Fortify - builds a +80% defense bonus in the province selected, costs 6k gold and half a movement point

Tower - allows you to see the troop deployments in connecting provinces, costs 3k gold and 0.3 of a movement point

Army- - disband army, any disbanded army return directly into the province selected any over the 50k population maximum are just gone, costs 0.2 movement points

Ship- - sells ships, you get 180 gold for every ship you sell, costs 0.5 movement points

if you click on another faction other than your own you get more options these are -

Ally - makes a request for alliance with that faction, they receive a message next turn which they can accept or reject, most will accept, frowned upon to break without good cause, costs 2 movement points

NAP - none aggression pact, works a bit like an alliance but ok to break, for that little bit of protection you need, costs 1.5 movement points and requires acceptance

CF - cease fire puts a unbreakable bond in place for a set number of turns, does require opposition acceptance, costs 1 movement point

Mesg - you can write a message to the guy limited on size, but only costs 0.1 movement points

X-ally - cancels your alliance, as stated above most will take offense if you break without message, costs 2.8 movement points and puts in place a 3 turn cease fire

X-NAP - cancels your NAP and puts in place a one turn cease fire, cost unknown at this time

Help - allows you to send gold to the person click it then select with the arrows how much to send, costs 0.5 movement points

once you have complete your turn you click the end turn button and wait for the next turn to come, if you made a mistake or want to change your moves you can select quit and start over, or if you've selected to end turn you can click the game again from your list and click reset to redo your turn

you should now be able to start playing check the forum for more posts on game play strategy

i have pics but as there from currently running games i'll place them in when they don't put my men at risk

Bio, you misspelled "manual". you are a good man so im not trying to insult you, i just thought "manuel" looked funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2008, 15:56 
Knight
Knight

yeah i know, i thought you did too, the English are the worse spellers of English there are

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 11:11 
Freeman
Freeman

Hi Bio,
when I had been a noob, I took a long time to check the forum etc, so I probably would have found this thread and it would really have helped me!

But then most players are more eager to start, so it might be helpful to place your advice somewhere where noobs are likely to find it.

Maybe include it in the wiki. In addition to the strategy hints which are more interesting for semi-advanced players...

best wishes
Revol

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2008, 13:02 
Knight
Knight

main reason this thread as so many views is because when a noob asks how to play i just come here open it up copy the address and paste it in the chat box and tell them if they need anything else just ask

see i don't feel AO is that hard of a game to get a grip with, i picked it all up within the week and within two months was ranked in the top 20 of the time (over 10000 more peeps have played since then)

so as for making it so easy to find that they stumble across it whilst looking though the strategy guide, i don't feel it's needed

maybe a link in Wiki to say if you need more primary info check here but to paste it into wiki defeats the main purpose which was to get noobs to vist the forum, and not to take anything away from the guide in wiki but the threads here hold even more info, what you have in wiki is the best of alot of good ideas

plus there is no game conduct area in wiki, maybe one reason why we are seeing so many gangbangers these days i know four of my resent games where three on one, now i like attacking two weaker nations at once to even it up a bit but when two/three larger nations attack you and your half the size of one, it's a bit poo whack

but thanks for the useful comment, atleast i know it could help someone someday