» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Feature Requests

Post subject: Gold Giving
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 15:26 
Peasant
Peasant

NobleMaster - If the primary focus of this game is having fun, then something must be done about players giving gold to each other. Nothing is more frustrating (and NOT fun) than being in a war against a nation that appears to be your equal and getting destroyed because they have a clanmate that gives them gold. It basically allows clans to dominate games unfairly. I know that you will not eliminate it completely, but perhaps you can alter its use. One idea is to make the gold donations public information so you know who your true enemies are. And if you do not want your gold gift to be public, then there is a cost (perhaps 50% of the gold gift). Or make spying on the gold donations a low cost event. Or incur a cost to give gold (so it is not free as it is now). Something needs to be done in my opinion. Thanks for your consideration.

Post subject: Re: Gold Giving
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 19:27 
Game Developer
Game Developer

It can be disabled I believe during game setup. Nevertheless, it can become a problem for non-clan, i.e. lone wolf type games.

You make some good suggestions! I like the transaction fee you proposed. E.g. there would be a 25% transaction fee to transfer gold. If you for example send 400 gold, only 300 gold would be actually sent and the rest 100 gold will be the fee!

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 03:56 

+1 to the transaction fee idea.

I would like also to add at the end of the game after the income statistics, a matrix with the sent/received gold between players.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 11:32 

-1 for any changes about gold.

If people are sending money to your opponents, you failed the politics part of the game.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 16:40 

Giving gold ruins many many games. A loan system rather than just giving gold, or the suggestion of a transaction fees would be much preferable.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2017, 21:35 

-1000 for restricting gold sending in any way :P again, the gold must be coming from someone... I lost a few top 100 games cause someone was sending gold to my enemy. But it was my tactical fault as I read the situation wrong and let that happen. You need to think about what is the best move your opponent can do. Example: If you are the strongest, it's in your interest to support other wars. If you're not, you should only fight the strongest. If you fight someone else, you risk the leader wanting to keep your war alive for as long as possible, while they grow with less competitors.

That's what makes the politics interesting :P

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 11:38 
Peasant
Peasant

A major component of game play is balance. And when one player becomes dominant they yield too much power with the ability to give gold indiscriminately. I don't think anyone is advocating for eliminating the gold system, just modifying it to even the game play.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 16:42 

The biggest problem is friends giving friends gold. It has nothing to do with diplomacy a lot of the time.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 02:36 
Peasant
Peasant

Exactly Jacob. And even though some clans claim they play fair and and don't team-up against players, if they can give gold to each other in secret there is no way to verify this. And I guarantee if one clan member needs gold, his fellow clan members send him gold, knowing that in future game the favor will be returned. That is an unfair advantage. Why should one class of players have an unfair advantage over another class of players? Please explain.

And the argument of "just don't play in games that allow gold" or "just play in games that restrict the number of clan members" is not valid as there are only so many good games available to play (just do a search for yourself). And even allowing only 2 or 3 members of a clan in a game still presents an unfair advantage over those playing by themselves.

The clan's "I'll help you win this game, if you help me win that game" is an infection that needs to be curtailed if possible, and modification of the gold-giving issue is one way to do that.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 00:12 
Serf
Serf

I agree with the idea of making publicly available information about gold donations so that you know who your real enemies are. When the game involves several players from the clan, it is clear that they will help each other. It is obvious. But I often came across the fact that non-clan players or players from different clans acted like a clan. At the same time, some of them pretend to be my friends. I would like to know my real enemies

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 00:51 
Peasant
Peasant

Thank you Noblemaster for making a change to the gold giving aspect of the game. Your willingness to make changes to your game based on customer feedback is exceptional. How do I vote for you as Developer of the Year?

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 00:58 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Yes, I could definitely make gold giving/receiving public. It could be an additional tab that shows all the recent transactions.

Please comment +1/-1!

@mrneutron: thanks :-)

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 15:28 
Peasant
Peasant

+1 from me

Always good to know who is your real enemy, especially if it was an ally. Couple options: list all gold giving in end of game statistics; or you can have a spy setting (perhaps at a cost) that allows you to find out who is giving the gold. For those that want realism, the best option is probably using the spy option. In the real world, i would think that if one nation is funding another nation a little espionage can easily get the details on that.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 16:33 

Definitely a yes to that option from me :D

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 15:57 
Peasant
Peasant

If you do not make gold giving public information, perhaps allow one to pay to see all of the gold transactions on a given turn. Or the last two turns or something. Similar to the spy in previous versions. I actually prefer that over just making it public information as it is more realistic. Make it cost 100 in gold or scale it to the world population or game era or whatever. It would just be a button or tab you hit to gain knowledge on the next turn. Something to consider - as we have stated, it would be nice to know your true enemies.