» Dev. Blog
» About Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Feature Requests

Post subject: Function to suppress inactive players (afk)
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 07:33 
Serf
Serf

I request that there be an option so that when creating a slow game and it remains on hold you can do without the inactive players.

Example: I set up an old Europe game, for 19 players, 24h/turn, I leave it on hold so that little by little, as the days go by, the players are added until completing the 19 positions. It takes approximately less than a week to complete.

So, before pressing start for the game to start, I check that there are several players who have been inactive for several days, without connecting to their account, and it does not seem that they will return soon (either because it is the typical rookie with a very low rating that leave, or because it is a newly created account of some user who tried the game and never came back).

For those cases, it is urgent that the creator of the game can remove those dead users from the game, so that those positions will be free again and other users that are going to play can be added.

A game can last two months, and it’s really bad that the Afk can unbalance and **** an entire game before even the game starts. And that is something perfectly avoidable with this simple function that I am proposing here.

Post subject: Re: Function to suppress inactive players (afk)
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2019, 15:48 
Game Developer
Game Developer

How would that functionality exactly work? Maybe there could be an option to only allow players that are active in the game for a while, e.g. limit only for accounts that are at least 1 month old or so?

Opinions?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2019, 00:20 
Serf
Serf

Having the option that recent accounts cannot be added is a good idea despite the arbitrariness of the measure, and it is surely easy to implement. I propose something more intrusive and difficult to add, but perhaps more effective.

When the tab is opened to manage the games for a player we can see that there is a red button to the left of each game, this button allows us to eliminate the games that we no longer want. My approach would be to include a small button similar to that, but in the multiplayer, in the list of players added to a game.

The button could be placed to the left or to the right of each player, so that, before the game starts, those users who have been disconnected for several days (say for example between three and five days) can be suppressed, since We intuit that they will not return on time (this can also be confirmed if those players already have other active games and do not participate in them).

I suppose adding a button with that function can be complex, so if that is too laborious, something else might be useful: setting up two filters in the game settings.

• The first filter would be an option like the one you have commented, so that accounts with a short time of old cannot be added to a game. The user registration period who are going to participate could be chosen, just as users can now be chosen within an ELO range.

• The second filter would be that players whose user activity has been completely paralyzed (3, 4 or 5 days before starting a game) are automatically separated by the system itself. This would be an optional function, something similar to what there is now when choosing the number of turns in which players can add to a game (If one chooses for example 7 turns, when turn 7 is over the game disappears from the game table automatically). In the function I propose, the inactive player disappears automatically while the game remains on hold for players to be added. Is implementing something like that very complicated? Of course, the games would be more satisfying for everyone.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2019, 15:58 
Game Developer
Game Developer

That's some interesting suggestions. I think not allowing new players will make it difficult for them to find games, so in the long run, players will leave the game.

Maybe manually removing inactive players before the game starts makes sense. Maybe automatically. However, for some games, you might end up with very few players when the game starts.

How about something else to keeps players coming back wanting to play?