» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Feature Requests

Post subject: Re: higher hapiness loss for team ups
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 19:42 
Peasant
Peasant

Necroing this thread since it fits the need.

Based on both conversation and reading both in-map and public chatwall, the problem of ganging has become worse this year. Much worse from my perspective, but that could be a statistical outlier.

I believe something must be done. I do not prefer the approach that mods deal with every single case of complaint, since it takes time and is prone to human error. It would probably be better to adjust the rules.

I suggest a test period. Noble could probably code a few easy yet extreme fixes, that could be selected during game setup in UNRANKED games to begin with. And then let's provide feedback, see if it gets better or worse, and what works as intended. The ultimate solution should be something that natively punished ganging. This would also free up the staff to monitor language and stuff, to deal with complaints they are better fit to solve.

Of course we would need a list of fixes to attempt. We have a couple in this thread, but there could be other solutions as well. We could even go the opposite way, and have a "prison rules" option where ganging is encouraged. And more options is always better.

I really hope this doesn't die this time. This issue is problematic to the point where I'm close to just quitting.

Would a fresh thread be better, or even a dedicated room in this forum? That would open the option for one thread per suggestion, making it easier to sort through discussions.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 22:18 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Ganging up is not easy to fix. Just increasing/decreasing penalties will not have that much of an effect?

We could have it that nations during war have higher income/higher population growth than others. I.e. the more enemies, the better you can defend? Etc.?

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2018, 08:56 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Then people would just have fake wars to help them defeat their real enemy. There truly is no perfect fix for ganging.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 11:09 
Knight
Knight

how about a max number of people that can make war with you for sertain turns. if say 2 people attack you nobody else can attack you for 5 turns? this might of course also be abused if you get 2 friends to declare war on you, but beeing granted a no attack period might help. not sure if you should be able to attack anybody in this period.

maybe some calculation on how big you are. 3 small nations can attack a much larger nation if their total pop aint bigger than 1,4 times the defender.

just a tought, but it will complicate things a lot.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 03:42 
Peasant
Peasant

I have witnessed people backstab others who were already at war with 5+ others. I think the approach with a per-turn happiness penalty to one party is better than the current system.

It would fit with IRL wars. It's all fun and games until the body bags start to pile up, and resistance will keep growing for the duration of conflict. Meanwhile, the defenders usually have an easier time mobilising support from the local populace.

The reason I suggested test games was to at least attempt to integrate a solution in the rules, one that does not require human evaluation for each incident. We could then finetune the exact parameters and vastly improve on an issue that is clearly not intended from a programming perspective, but is somewhat unavoidable from a human perspective.