Board index » Miscellaneous » Off-Topic

Preferred Way to Return Test Results?
Excel/Spreadsheet Attached to Email 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Text File to Fill out Attached to Email 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Word Document to Fill Out Attached to Email 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Google Spreadsheet (Online) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Email Template to Respond to 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2
 Post subject: Most Convenient Way to Write Test Results?
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 04:38 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I am very soon sending out Desert Stormfront for testing. I wonder what would be the most convenient way for the testers to send the test results back to me?

Basically, I have a spreadsheet, but I can make a text document/Word document out of it as well. As a tester, what would you prefer? It's not a difficult spreadsheet. I can send out several options too. I want to make it convenient & clear for the tester? Also note, testing might take a while so filling out an email template might not be the easiest way to respond.

Post subject: Re: Most Convenient Way to Write Test Results?
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 09:37 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Whatever is easiest for the tester in my opinion. A text document or email.

I was thinking email template would be same as text document, but after reading what you said again, it must be something else?

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 14:45 
Investigator
Investigator

Hmm, this is how I see it and I'll try to break it down so it makes sense. If you wish to have a form that the testers fill out, you can use:
1) Text file, universal to all ascii platforms.
2) Use a document software such as Word (Office), Star Office, Page Maker, etc. Here's the issue, while there is a certain amount of compatibility between most of them. Things might not always work or appear as they should. Shoot, even Word (Office) isn't 100% compatible between their different versions much less other document software.
3) I'm not as familiar with different Spread Sheets but I have to assume there will be a certain lack of compatibility between the different spread sheet software.

Once you choose the file format for the form. Then you need to decide on how to share it. You can:
1) Send it via email, just about everybody has it and knows how it works for their computer.
2) Send it via the postal system, old, slow and will cost you a stamp.
3) Use a network drive, such as MSN Skydrive. It's free if you sign up for a MSN Live account. You can make a spread sheet and store it on their Skydrive. All MSN accounts that you give permission to can then access it, copy it or edit it based upon the permissions you set. The neat thing about this is the spread sheet software is web based so if you use the web software instead of the software on your computer. Then all accounts can use that same web based Spread Sheet Software so there should be no issues with compatibility. However there might be a learning curve for some people to this whole process of using their web based software, the Skydrive and the Spread Sheet if they're not familiar with it. I think google also has something similar to this.
4) Point and Click FTP/back up softwares such as "Drop Box" I had issues with their partners wanting to install software on my computer without my approval so I removed their product.
5) Use FTP, easy to use and set up but most people will have a brain fart if you try to explain it to them.
6) Post it on the forum. Text only I think... and limited in what you can do.
7) Since I've been out of the computer game for a while there might be other technologies out there that I don't know about.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 16:20 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I guess just sending it out as text via email is the way to go? I guess requiring a MSN account/Google account might be too much of a hassle for the testers although using Google docs is quite easy to get used to. Also, doing it as text via email might be especially easy if you are testing on Android and don't have a PC available.

To clarify: it could be a text within the email -or- a text attachment to the email. Having it as an attachment might make it easier to save to the hard drive for editing as you test the app. If it's a text within the email (i.e. the email itself), it would be little more difficult for some to edit the text and enter results as you go (i.e. save as draft)? Not sure about everyone's skill level?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2012, 08:24 
Investigator
Investigator

Using a text file and email would be the most common way for the least experience person to use.

If the mobile device testers are the weakest link then that's who you should gear the testing towards. Not owning a cell phone, I've ever had to deal with email on a mobile device. So - can they save attachments? If sent as a email a simple cut and paste to save it as a file will work too but I'm not certain of what you can and can not do on the various cell phones. So - you should select what most cell phones will permit.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 00:41 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Thanks guys! Anyhow, I sent out the test report template within the email. I guess it should be quite easy to just email it back.

:kg: