» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Miscellaneous » Off-Topic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beer Thread
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 14:18 
Knight
Knight

Good to know that next years wine batch will be pretty cheap. :D

Now I just need to find the right type of plums so I can make plum brandy. Then I need the equipment and procedure. :D

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 15:32 
Knight
Knight

last night i discovered some beers can be aged like wines... like 20-25 years!? so... if i brew a batch before xmas... it'll be aged to perfection right about the time i retire :roll:

it is so on once i equip myself :partyyy:

@ fodder... where's my ***** lager comments?!? :fluch:

http://www.cafepress.com/kingslayerdesigns

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 17:36 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Have some lemonade.

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Amazing+Horse/

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 04:34 
Knight
Knight

D@mn it! Just found out that distilling is illegal in the USA. :motz: :motz: :motz: :motz:

I can ferment the plums, but I can't distill them to make the brandy. What's the point of fermenting if you can't distill?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 08:25 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Make some plum wine instead.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 09:36 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Distilling can go wrong pretty easy, making you produce ethanol instead of alcohol (moonshine). You can become blind etc.

The government is just protecting you. Get trained and get a license if you want to distill...

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 11:40 
Knight
Knight

No, according to the bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms' website, it's all about taxes. They won't let anyone make any distilled stuff (with very few exceptions) without getting money for it, even if you're not selling. Yes, they specifically said they want money for you doing it. And they even say don't bother due to all the paperwork being more hassle then it's worth.

And I have family in Europe that does this stuff all the time, so it's not an issue for me to learn what I need to know. But, the fact that I can't do it at all... :(

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 17:34 
Investigator
Investigator

@KH, sorry for the delay. I was in Black Mountain, N.C. checking out their local brews but I'm back home now - yeah!

When I brew I stuck to ales since they ferment at 65-75 degrees, room temperature. Also I like the taste of ales better than largers. I did make a clone of a "Salavator" brew which is a double bock. I let it ferment for 6 months (winter months) and I used Champaign yeast to get the 8.5-9% alcohol that it needed to have. Hmmm, that was a good brew.

Largers...usually need some type of refrigeration. 65 degrees or less. Some ales yeast do well around 80 degrees.

That's a good book you're reading. Are you sure it says to use larger yeast for room temperature brewing?? Ale yeasts are more durable and less problematic and that's what I usually use. That way, I could keep the fermentation bucket in a spare bathroom, garage or basement.

What are you about to drop money into for doing largers?

To all: Brewing is easy and fun to do. I make some very good beer and they won't go skunky on you. I've brewed ales that were still over fives years later. They remain good for as long as you have an air tight seal.

I've also made wine for those who are thinking about doing it. I used juice. I've been tempted to use grapes but I don't have any vines. :-(

@ImLagging, if you make wine from grapes let me know how you did it and how it turned it. Very interested to know.

Making wine is even easier than brewing beer. Best part is I don't use any preservatives, so I don't get headaches from drinking my home made wine. I never made a bad tasting wine.

I'll pass on hint to brewing and making wine. I seen friend make bad beer and so-so wine. I never had this problem. My theory is because I took added steps to make sure everything I used was sanitized and clean. If you do that you'll win the battle for making a good tasting ale or wine.

FYI brewing your own beer will not be that much cheaper than buying it but it will last longer and in most cases taste better than store bought. Making your own wine will be vasty cheaper than anything you can buy unless you're drinking really crappy wine. I enjoy doing both, brewing beer and making wine.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 03:41 
Knight
Knight

@Fodder If I do make wine, I'll definitely let you know how it went. I'm not much of a wine person, but I should be able to tell if it's decent. Plus, I know people that drink more then I do that can tell me how it is. And I'll probably be asking you for some tips and what not as I'm sure I'll make mistakes for my first time.

When I made jelly last year, I followed the recipe exactly, but I had seen other recipes that suggested adding 25% more pectin to prevent the jelly from being runny. I assumed that I didn't need the extra pectin since I was using a recipe that didn't call for it and ended up with runny pectin... :headbash: So.... this year, I'll use the extra pectin regardless. If someone experienced (who I knew and trusted) had told me to use more pectin, I would have trusted their experience. But... you live and learn and there was no harm done even with my mistake. :)

I think as long as the wine ends up being half way decent and drinkable, it'll be a good first try. :)

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 07:17 
Knight
Knight

ImLagging wrote:
No, according to the bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms' website, it's all about taxes. They won't let anyone make any distilled stuff (with very few exceptions) without getting money for it, even if you're not selling. Yes, they specifically said they want money for you doing it. And they even say don't bother due to all the paperwork being more hassle then it's worth.

And I have family in Europe that does this stuff all the time, so it's not an issue for me to learn what I need to know. But, the fact that I can't do it at all... :(

Actually, there are different regulations for each state. According to Federal law homebrewing is legal, but there are a small handful (less than a dozen I believe) states that do have state laws against it. Look into it a bit more. Where I am, I can make a maximum of 200 gallons each year without having to pay any taxes. The only catch is that it can ONLY be for private consumption. If I sold so much as a drop if it I'd have to go through all kinds of legal nonsense. Have a look here.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/p ... s/statutes

This is the **** internet! :x I will behave any way I damn well please! ~Anonymous

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 09:36 
Investigator
Investigator

@ImLagging, I'm not claiming to be an expert on brewing beer or making wine but I've done both for several years and in some cases the experience I've learned can't be found in a book. If I can be of any help, I'll most certainly pass on my wisdom.

@Lucjan, that's true selling home brew is a no no. What I would do with the spares or extra bottles is give them away as gifts around Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm looking for a white elephant gift, I grab a bottle of wine. For the mother or father who has everything. I give a case of wine. A friend looks after the pets or house for me while I'm away. A bottle or wine or a six pack of beer to say thank you. You'll find may uses for brewing beer and making wine that doesn't involve selling it.
:D

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 09:40 
Game Developer
Game Developer

What fodder is saying:
Quote:
@ImLagging, I'm not claiming to be an expert on brewing beer or making wine but I've done both for several years and in some cases the experience I've learned can't be found in a book. If I can be of any help, I'll most certainly pass on my wisdom.

@Lucjan, that's true selling home brew is a no no. What I would do with the spares or extra bottles is give them away as gifts around Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm looking for a white elephant gift, I grab a bottle of wine. For the mother or father who has everything. I give a case of wine. A friend looks after the pets or house for me while I'm away. A bottle or wine or a six pack of beer to say thank you. You'll find may uses for brewing beer and making wine that doesn't involve selling it.

What fodder actually means:
Surrender the booze to
Foddy Fodderman
2310 Fodderave. #1910
Fodderville, FD 10007
USA

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 09:54 
Investigator
Investigator

:gott: :klugscheisser: :l�l: banana :rofl: :jump: :jg:

I, the great and powerful fodder, will accept any booze sent my way for the purpose of providing my personal expert tasting opinion. ;)

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 11:07 
Game Developer
Game Developer

I'll be a volunteer as well. I have years of experience in wine & beer tasting... Want my resume?
:saufen:

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 11:41 
Knight
Knight

fodder wrote:
You'll find may uses for brewing beer and making wine that doesn't involve selling it.
:D

Some very good examples in there, and a very true statement... Perhaps I shall send you some of my first attempt! :kg:

This is the **** internet! :x I will behave any way I damn well please! ~Anonymous

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next