» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Miscellaneous » Off-Topic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: The Beer Thread
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 15:27 
Knight
Knight

fodder wrote:
When I brew I stuck to ales since they ferment at 65-75 degrees, room temperature. Also I like the taste of ales better than lagers. I did make a clone of a "Salavator" brew which is a double bock. I let it ferment for 6 months (winter months) and I used Champaign yeast to get the 8.5-9% alcohol that it needed to have. Hmmm, that was a good brew.

Lagers...usually need some type of refrigeration. 65 degrees or less. Some ales yeast do well around 80 degrees.

That's a good book you're reading. Are you sure it says to use lager yeast for room temperature brewing?? Ale yeasts are more durable and less problematic and that's what I usually use. That way, I could keep the fermentation bucket in a spare bathroom, garage or basement.

What are you about to drop money into for doing lagers?

basically... i live in sunny florida, 65-75 degrees is a pipe-dream from about april - october ;)

also note... basements are more like 'underground pools' :roll:

78-80 degrees is doable... when i do visit the home brew store (an hour away :( ) i'll scope some higher temp ale yeasts.

lager yeast (bottom fermenting) and lagering (cold-fermentation) are my 'apparent' best options since buying a used fridge is a much more economical way to brew in the summer (and most of fall also). i believe lagering is done at 33-50 degrees, typically with lager yeast. but i did read that ale yeast (top fermenting) can be lagered. but that's getting mad scientist... i'm new at this, so i've scoped some tasty looking lagers i can start with. something to keep me occupied until november - march... when i can brew up some ales. like on a mission brewing, enough ale to last for the 8 hot months!!! :sauf:

wine is also a possibility... i'm not much for wine, but everyone else i know luvs it. ***** drunks... :fluch:

http://www.cafepress.com/kingslayerdesigns

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 18:30 
Investigator
Investigator

@KH, Sounds like Southern FL. Don't you have AC where you live? That should be good enough for ales. If you do bottom fermenting yeast, you'll need cooler temps. Do you like high gravity, malty, dark beers?

@lucjan, if you have any spares after you brew, you know how to reach me. :-)

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 10:13 
Investigator
Investigator

I would like to share this festive idea with you all. I have recently done this. Instead of having pumpkin pie for dessert for this coming Thanksgiving. I went out and bought: "Hoppin' Frog, Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale". I think this will make for a good Thanksgiving Dessert. For those who are interested in giving this a try. It's a 8.4% alcohol ale that comes in a 22oz bottle. One bottle will cost you around $10.00 US currency. The ale recently won a gold metal at - oh shoot I forget which competition if was, but it was one of big ones. Anyway, it should be good and I'm looking forward to drinking it.

For those who celebrate Thanksgiving, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!
Enjoy.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 16:20 
Knight
Knight

For you too sir! And I think I may just try said beverage. I'll let you know if I do.

This is the **** internet! :x I will behave any way I damn well please! ~Anonymous

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 11:02 
Investigator
Investigator

To follow up on the "Hoppin' Frog, Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale", I liked it. It was quite smooth for a high gravity alcohol ale. I know my family likes to have wine at Thanksgiving, but I think I'll do a pumpkin ale when I'm not doing Thanksgiving with my family. It will be the start of my tradition.
:lol:

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 14:28 
Knight
Knight

I tried a Mad Elf Ale the other day. I do not recommend, it had a very, very awkward taste to it that I just can't honestly place. It was just too sweet for an ale.

This is the **** internet! :x I will behave any way I damn well please! ~Anonymous

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 14:56 
Investigator
Investigator

Since when does an Elf know how to make an ale? That must be why he's Mad. What you need is a good hearty Dwarven brew. You'll grow hair in areas where hair doesn't grow.

Here's two beers that have been recommended to me. I now have them for home consumption. Once I've tried them I'll try to remember to post a review here. in the mean time if you wish give them a try, they are:
"Mile Davis B i t c h e s Brew" by Dogfish Head (imperial Stout)
[Tribute Brew] $11.99 per 25.4 fl oz bottle
and
Heavy Seas, Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA, by Clipper City Brewing Company.
$8.99 per six pack

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 18:25 
Investigator
Investigator

I just tried the Terrapin Hoptaneous Combustion. Good beer, very hoppy, 10% alcohol that really sneaks up on you. By the time I got home my head was spinning. That hasn't happened in a long time. I recommend giving it a try.

:sauf:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7