» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post subject: New map Portugal
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2012, 01:40 
Serf
Serf

Greetings

I've just made a map of my own country (Portugal), will be probably usefull only to my country people I suppose.

Anyway, the map came out really well given that it was a first, it uses the real counties and districts and all the provinces are named after the real ones in the exact place, I added montains and rivers close to the reality as well and forests to give some artificial boundaries between some of the provinces to add strategic dificulty to it.

I used a really basic software to do it and my mountains and forests are a feeble copy/paste from a Ruski96's map layout from wich I got the inspiration (thanks Ruski96)

My biggest problem so far is the huge size of the map wich has around 7MB, I've already reduced it to 5,8MB (didnt update that yet though)

I would be very thankfull if some of you experts could give it a try and give me feedback, Also would thank some advice on the size detail.

Thanks

Here's a screnshot from the test screen

Post subject: Re: New map Portugal
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2012, 09:29 
Investigator
Investigator

Greeting Ocsav99,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for making the map. I hope you enjoyed doing it.

It looks good. I like the detail you added by proving small bridges to show where you can cross rivers. It looks like an interesting map.

I have created a game for you and others to play test. It's in the Casual Realm, I called it "Play Test Portugal". Below is the game's description:
This game is open to all players who want to help play test this new map. It's a standard game, unrated, 20 players, Transactions and Extended Actions, 1 day turn, Fast Tuns. Please give your feedback to Ocsav99 or on the forum under Ocsav99's posting.

If you like, you can post a message on the AoC dashboard wall to announce a new map and that you're looking for players to help play test it and provide feedback.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2012, 14:49 
Knight
Knight

i posted in the other thread before reading this one... a typical howard procedure. rather than scale the map u can index the colors to reduce the png file size. it worked really well on a 15 mb png i created for a map... really well :partyyy:

The ChainBringer
The ChaosMagnate
The ModSlayer

Anarchie à vendre...

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2012, 15:19 
Serf
Serf

Thanks fodder for the time spent and nice feedback, I've used the KingHowardII advise and used it wisely (Thanks KingHowardII)
I've used color indexing in gimp and reduced the map to 1.7MB nearly without loosing any quality whatsoever. Now the map is a lot more online playable since it will take a lot less time to download. I'm updating it as we speak.

fodder, regarding the your post, I' havent tried to play this game online yet so I don't have a clue of what you are reffering nor where is the dashboard, but I'll get into that tomorrow for sure, thanks again for the bother.

If you can update the game in that Play test I will be thankfull (I dont really know if you need to, or if the players just download the new map automatically)

Cheers

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2012, 08:47 
Investigator
Investigator

I was going to mention the color indexing but since I have not done that myself, I did not want to mentioned it in case there was follow up questions I could not answer. :/ Thanks to Howard making that suggestion.

I think, not 100% certain, that the game would have to be deleted and then a new game has to be created with the new updated map. Since I created the game, I will delete it. I'm happy to create a new game for you but I'll offer you to choice/opportunity to create the new game instead of me. I'll wait a day or so for your reply before I create a new game with the updated map.

I have just delete the the game. Will wait to see if you wish for me or you to create a new game with the updated map. I have downloaded the new map and it went quicker than the original version.

In regards to what I was talking about. After you start up the ONLINE game and log in. You will be at the main screen. I believe this is called the dashboard screen. Hence the "wall" or board messages posted there are referred to as the dashboard wall. Each game also has it's own separate wall/message area. So I said "dashboard wall" as to avoid confusion with the individual game walls. The Wall is also different from the "Chat" section which can also be found on the dashboard screen as well as within each individual game.

I original didn't post a message there since some players might send me feed back and not you, thinking since I announced the new map, that I was the one who made it.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2012, 13:21 
Serf
Serf

Hi fodder, I've been some time on the online game, asked around and some nice people explained to me how things work. I'll try to create a game myself, if I have problems doing it I'll ask for you to create it, I was thinking though that perhaps the game has more people joining if it is created by an experienced/known user like you rather than a newby like me, If I have troubles filling the game I might delete it and ask you to create. Let's see.

Thanks a lot for your help, hope I can meet you online playing my map sometime :)

Cheers

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2012, 19:23 
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Ocsav99,

Okay, that's fine by me.

Give it about 2 or more weeks to fill. You can always started early if you don't want to wait for it to completely fill.

I noticed you had created the game so I assume you had no trouble doing it.
I also noticed you had made it rated instead of unrated. Your choice, different people of different points of view on that. Mine is to test games as unrated because I want players to do things that they might not otherwise attempt to do if it was rated.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2012, 00:53 
Serf
Serf

mmhhh... I was not aware of that difference between rated and unrated games... I'll probably start again and private message people already in to join again

Cheers