» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post subject: The Map Editor Manual by realRiff v3
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 23:05 
Freeman
Freeman

The Map Editor Manual :klugscheisser:

ok i checked your map! :hilfe:
I have to say, first of all bad news. =( the whole work u had with the provs. u have to redo it. but after following all these steps u will be successful.

1. Please use a large image of your map because i saw alot of tiny tiny provs there, this is not allowed. Each province have to be big enough to keep a castle fortress and crown symbol under it. for example u make a fortess on this tiny islands. and you make many of them. and probably u have soldiers there too like 50000 so. Your map will have s problem to display them all. the images would cover each other, therefore your image needs to be for this map minimum 2000wide 1200 hight pixels i guess. that your tinest provs are big enough. to contain those symbols. u can also arange them. in the layout are its one the prov number button it shows up alot kindoms for each prov.

Dont forget to make a lines with 1-3 px black pencil which are standing for the shapes of the provinces. You have to include those planed shapes of provs in the image of the map png file. The aoc map editor dont make visual borders.

You also have to notice that created provinces have a white tranparency in the game. Use strong colours (high saturation).

2. keep your image sharp.

3. your png data should be under 7mb

4. you should start to make the shapes of your province as you created your prov lines in the map image

5. correct the sizes of your provinces by the button below creating provs

6. the connections u can make with connection button in the layout register. click creating connections and go with mouse over a province. click on it. pull the mouse to the neighbour province and release to mouse button. now u should see a red connection line it stands for a transferable way. u have to make from all provinces a connection the neighboured provnices in which your units shall be able to move. like many stars. hehe. take care never make a connection over sea. only if u really want it. Such connections should go over a Waterpoints. which stands for transport costs. without waterpoints your units can reach their target but u dont have to pay shipping cost. so just use regular connections for land to land movement.

7. Please double check each prov for not forgetting any conncetion. All provs which touch other dircetly and dont have a mountain for example between should be connected by those red lines.

8. make now the borders of each province. I mean the borders which shows up if provinces attack each other or are allied. the are grey crosses which turn under specific diplomacy conditions to green crosses or to a red minus sign. to make them click in the layout register at the point generate borders. click on a green line between two provinces and they will turn from darkblue to white. this shows you are editing the border between those specific provinces. for a straight line three grey crosses should be enough. 1 close to the ends and one in the middle of the line. u can put as many u wish. but they should look in order because they glow up when you click on a province during a game. a tidy map makes more fun to play.

If you finished all borders all red connection lines should turn into green.

9. make the waterspots be carefull with them. dont put to many. otherwise you will lose the overview. think excactly which coasts can reach each other. keep it fair for the gamers. to make a costal connection go on create connection after u put your waterpoints on the map. and connect a province with the waterpoint. a yellow line appears. now make a connection from the waterpoint to the province which shall be reached by shiping from the first coast.
think about that its strange if you can reach a coast of a province which is far away but not a costal province which close to a province u want to start shipping. make a logical shipping strucure. It influences the gameplay.

10. Create a zone on the map u should just pick one province and give it a name. otherwise the map creator complains. i still have to find out what i can do with those zones. They should be for King of the Hill games. Just do it otherwise the mapmaker shows error. just pick one and give it a zone name. Look at thread form Mika SA to nobelmaster. He is activating soon this function.

11.Before going to the scenario register you should think about how many nations or races or whatever shall be present on your map. Create for each nation a flag with a drawing program 16*11 png format. U have to give them a name under the general register (1 st one) in the libary of the map editor and assign them the flag you created for it.

12.Put Midifiles in your libary as background music. Not anoying one, loopable and with a duration of 3-5 mins (my recommendation), u can pick more then 1 but not more then 3. they will be played back one after one.

13.Go to scenarios register now Create a scenario rename it add nations and music and other conditions of the game u want to.

14.Click on a nation u added to scenario and add its starting values.

15. Click on a province in your map and set it as starting point a the specific nation. U can also pick many provs. For one nation but the ruler should be only in one of it. You can also adjust eco, population, starting budget, city icon , fortress icon, military and so on.
16.dont forget you can give your map many scenarios, events and extra conditions.

Let your fantasy play.

If you are finished with your map just test the map before you upload.

-Check all provs , shapes
Check all connections between the provs. Therefore play it in the simulation
Check all water connections
Is the image working with the created maps
are the nations all in use ?
Clear unused music, nations and flags

Then after a hard testing phase u can upload.

Invite first friends for testing in unrated conditions.

After testing the map with friends (unrated games are recommended). You can still make changes in your map. But take care updating a map occures heavy errors in still running games. Ask fodder. lol.

So update the map if the running testing game is over. so better blitzgames for testing 5 min rounds.

Make the Correction in the map editor and reupload but dont push new map click on update.

Thanx to my Clan Brother Mikmik who teached me this.

Best Regards

realRiff :pal:

Last edited by realRiff on 31 Dec 2011, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Map Editor Manuel by realRiff v3
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 10:55 
Investigator
Investigator

Nice first attempt at making a manual for the Map Editor.

And thanks for taking that shot at me. :lol:

If I can find the time, I'll try to clean things up for you. Or if Travis or someone else wants to that's fine. Such things that need to be cleaned up is:
Manuel = Person's name
Manual = Documentation
:rofl:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 17:11 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Quote:
Dont forget to make a lines with 1-3 px black pencil which are standing for the shapes of the provinces. You have to include those planed shapes of provs in the image of the map png file. The aoc map editor dont make visual borders.

Not exactly true. The Map Editor can export your province lines after you have put your provinces in. Meaning you can take a clean image of anything and start marking provinces into it. Then you export the lines and with the graphic program of your choice, put them onto the map image. This will save you from having to draw province lines manually onto your image!

Quote:
3. your png data should be under 7mb

I say even less. The World Map is 4000x2222 pixels and is only 4MB. The Fantasy World Map is 3600x2000 pixels and only 2.09MB. Both look nice still.

Quote:
12.Put Midifiles in your libary as background music. Not anoying one, loopable and with a duration of 3-5 mins (my recommendation), u can pick more then 1 but not more then 3. they will be played back one after one.

I'm pretty sure you can have more than 3 per scenario?

Everything else looks good. I was going to create an elaborate tutorial... but never got to that :???:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 17:40 
Game Developer
Game Developer

Wow, thanks for the manual :gott:

Post subject: Re: The Map Editor Manual by realRiff v3
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 23:14 
Freeman
Freeman

fodder i luv that edit button !!! manuel got to manual, lol. thanx.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 18:22 
Investigator
Investigator

Yes. The edit button is pretty cool. :D

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 06:51 
Knight
Knight

i have 5 songs in the playlist per scenario (the same 5), it tested ok?

and u can pass through 2 water nodes i believe (the blue lines when u connect 2 water nodes). u don't need to use only land-water-land? u can go land-water-water-land. i think... i'll be finding out shortly when i test out Warlords II. i set up each coastal with a "port" (land-water), then connected each port to the other coastal ports they could reach (water-land). i'm hoping i get a 5 hex range for every coastal, but we'll see... :???:

this is a closeup of how i used "ports" and water nodes... i used land-water node 7-water node 10-land to connect the 2 coastals rather than land-water node-land.

i will kill you and everyone you know... don't **** with me

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 14:28 
Freeman
Freeman

the less waternodes you use the more better it is in general.
When to many waternodes are used the more confusing and unsensible the connectivity is. Sometimes less is more.

For Warlords I which I am playing first time with Howie, it isnt necessary to make many waternods. Because you can reach all coastal connections anyway. It is interesting to make waterconnections not to far, in my opinion. But this is my personal opinion of course.

I like King Howies map, well done!
And he is kicking my **** in this game. :motz:

regards

realRiff

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 16:57 
Knight
Knight

err, yeah... i wouldn't recommend the average beginning map maker go and connect 68 water nodes like i did for WarLords II. but really it wasn't that hard to do all those connections (the nodes are numbered!) and it worked perfectly in testing. every coastal has a 5 hex "range", which i achieved through the 68 water nodes i created (1 for each coastal province). if a map maker desires to have specific ranges for coastal provinces, i would suggest using as many water nodes as necessary... as in 1 per coastal province if need be. :klugscheisser:

i will kill you and everyone you know... don't **** with me