» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post subject: Map Editor - 3 questions...
PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 22:01 
Peasant
Peasant

So, I am building my first map. Before I even read the forum, I decided on the Middle East. I've seen another attempt at it now, but I'm glad it wasn't very complex. For my first one, I wanted to make one worthy of the original set. The borders are by no means political, but I think broken well enough to accommodate the various ages of Middle East wars fairly well. I plan to make at least 8 scenarios for this one - 2 duel maps, several ANNO maps with historical borders, and a few balanced scenarios. I didn't make the mountains exactly - or add any vegetation. I think the next map will be color and have different features. I can think of many cool things that could be added. (I am also getting ideas of a "dark" world style map - with teleportation zones to race to - using "across the map" connections).

But I digress. Basically, I picked up the editor very quickly, fairly straightforward. This is about 4 hours in. I believe I have it down, but there are just a couple questions, in order of importance:

1. I am using the PC lite version. (Since I only have a mobile subscription.) From what I see, every function works, except I CANNOT create new empires. When I create a scenario, and then try to add an empire, where I should be able to type a name is blank, and uneditable. It has a "drop-down" arrow - which results in a single blank, light blue drop down box.

2. Is a "zone" mandatory in a map? The way it's worded, it implies that zones are used for "king of the hill" type games, where a certain province is the goal. I thought this was possibly causing issue #1, by not having at least one zone - but even after creating 2 zones (the first scenario, a duel) for the capitols, I still could not solve issue #1.

3. When moving and placing the info box, is the outer red border a "safe" area, or not visible in the map? It will make a huge difference, considering the provinces I still need to draw, whether or not I need to create a buffer zone - so the info boxes are visible in my final version.

Oh - Noblemaster - one more question, this one just for you. What are the chances of getting a map added to the available maps for mobile? I believe I am capable of conforming to your standard......

I would appreciate anyone experienced with this version of the editor to download and take a look at my progress, and possibly point out any errors. I linked to a ZIP file here at the bottom of the post, from YouSendIt.com. If anyone sees this after the link has expired, please tell me you'd like to take a look, and I'll repost. I zipped the file, because I wasn't sure if I needed to include the map .PNG for the map to be viewable. I imagine when installed, it meshes these files into a different format, but may be necessary separately to open in the .MAP format.

I look forward to developing more maps. Some ideas I've had are The Moon (with teleportation provinces across the map), The Caribbean, and maybe do some D&D style hex maps. I will certainly be thinking about new ones....

Anyway, take a look and tell me what you think..... ;)

https://www.sendthisfile.com/fOVnWIWtF8fTV525Z17ix42U

Post subject: Re: Map Editor - 3 questions...
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 15:04 
Investigator
Investigator

Let me give some quick feedback while you wait on others.

#1 I don't have that version to confirm so I'll leave it for someone else.

#2 Zone are not necessary. You got it right, they are only needed if you're doing a king of the hill senario.

#3 Hmm, it's been a while but I think if it's red it's not a good placement. I'm certain someone else can clarify this one.

The noblemaster Q: I'm certain he would love to have more maps for the mobile realm. I believe resolution and size are the only limitations. I don't recall what they are but they were mentioned once in the forum under one of the million subjects. You could try a search or wait for noblemaster to provide you with the limitations.

GL

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 15:19 
Peasant
Peasant

I would check myself, but - of course I get the error "No Empires" when I try to test.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 12:20 
Knight
Knight

#3: You can place stuff within the red border, but for touch screen devices the red area is difficult to reach with your typical finger. Keep that in mind if you wish to make maps for mobile devices.

And what's wrong with my Middle East map? :P

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 16:49 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

#1 - You need to add empires to the map before you can put any into scenarios. To add them go to the General Tab -> Library Edit. Remember, flag images must be 16x11 pixels big. No more, no less.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 02:03 
Peasant
Peasant

Thanks Travis! That did it. Now I've got to do some studying about Middle Eastern wars and build some scenarios......

And dude - I didn't mean to bag on your map. Just looked like there were only a few provinces. I am trying to emulate the quality of the original map set, and have over 100 provinces with multiple scenarios.

Thanks again. I'll be back if I run into anything else.