» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post subject: Map file locations?
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 11:11 
Serf
Serf

Hi all; I just registered last week, love the game, and have had a blast making my first map, but have a couple questions. I searched all over the forums first - honest!

1) I've downloaded a few custom maps and then tried to find them so I could study them and then possibly edit them to see how other users are making these cool maps. Can't find 'em anywhere, although oddly enough my executable keeps getting larger: are they actually stored in there? I've seen in the forums mention of .map files in a aevumobscurum (or something like that) folder but it's nowhere to be found. I'm on a Mac, OS 10.4. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2) I'd like to play my map in the regular game and not just in "test" mode in the map editor but don't see a way to do that (so far it's just me vs. the computer; haven't played online yet). Any pointers to get me going here? Some sort of basic modding manual or tutorial would be extremely helpful.

I'm at the mercy of your infinite wisdom...

Da Poch

Post subject: Re: Map file locations?
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 12:16 
Knight
Knight

1) The folder that contains the maps is hidden and OS X does a good job of keeping hidden files/folders hidden. From the Map Editor, click on Open and then make sure you're viewing your Home folder. Now press the SHIFT + COMMAND + G keys all at the same time. Type in ".AgeOfConquest" (without the quotes, but with the period and make sure you keep the upper/lower casing that I used) and click Go. From here, just go to the Map folder. All downloaded maps are named "asset_X.data" where X is a number. You'll have to open the asset files one after another until you find the one you're looking for. If it's a map you plan to view multiple times, make sure you remember which number it is so it's easier to find next time.

2) The only way to play the map online is to upload it, then download it via the in game Map Download feature. This will allow anyone to download the map. This will be the only way for others to help you test a map. Just make sure that it's in a good playable condition since if people start using it to play actual games, they'll get annoyed if things don't work right.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 12:21 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Edit: ImLagging beat me to it.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 14:17 
Serf
Serf

Thanks so much! I'm on it...

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 17:28 
Investigator
Investigator

What ImLagging said. You can also enter following command from the command line, (without the quotes): " cd ~/.AgeOfConquest/map ".

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 04:49 
Serf
Serf

OK, finally got it, but via a different path. I had put AoC in Applications, but even there could not get Cmd-Shift-G to display the hidden folder. I'm guessing that could be because of the spaces in the actual folder name?

Seeing your good old Unix-speak I opened a shell and ran a 'find' for .AgeOfConquest and nothing came up but I now realize it should have been ".Age Of Conquest III.app". Because then a search for "asset_*.data" worked and now I can see where all of the goodies are. Was able to open a map in the app by explicitly typing in the full path.

Thanks a bunch for all of your feedback. I'm still wondering if there is a way to play test the maps either in test mode or in the game (not online) such that I can get the diplomacy, etc. options that come up at runtime.

Either way, I will be posting a test map to the server sometime next week.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 06:14 
Serf
Serf

Quote:
I'm still wondering if there is a way to play test the maps either in test mode or in the game (not online) such that I can get the diplomacy, etc. options that come up at runtime.

Yeah, you can play your map wih your scenarios or even someones map with your scenarios (like I do)
All you need is just a full version of the game on your computer
not an ONLINE version, but AoC III for a single comp ver

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 07:18 
Serf
Serf

I do have the full version, not the online version. When I select a scenario and empire in the map editor and then hit "Test", I get a game with easy opponents and no other options. In what I would call the regular or normal game, selecting new game brings up the option box for level of difficulty, domination game vs. standard game, diplomacy, etc. This is the behavior I would like to have when testing a new map.

I guess I just need to tweak the map a bit further and then do the upload to server / download back again routine to be able to see my map in the option box for new game. Saving or copying it to the Contents/Resources/app/data/map directory doesn't work because the saved map hasn't been split out into the .data, .info, and .name files. I assume this is what happens during the upload/download process.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 16:47 
Investigator
Investigator

Okay, first off I'm confused with your terminology of full version and online version. AoC III comes in two versions, ONLINE and Single Player. Then there is a free version of each and a paid version of each. I guess you could call the paid version a full version but still, that means there are 2 full versions, ONLINE and Single Player.

So to Summarize:
AoC III ONLINE (Full/paid version)
AoC III ONLINE (free version)
AoC III Single Player (Full/paid version)
AoC III Single Player (free version)

If believe the .map file can be unzipped into the .data, .info, .name files. I think the download does that automatically but you can do it manually too. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Last edited by fodder on 20 Apr 2011, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 18:13 
Serf
Serf

I have AoC III Single Player (Full/paid version).

When I save my own map via the map editor, the file that is saved, to whatever directory I specify, does not have a .map extension. When I download a map from the AoC server, it automatically goes to the map directory and gets split into the .data, .name. and .info files and becomes playable. I'm trying to figure out how to make my own map playable as a regular game and not just in test mode in the map editor.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2011, 23:54 
Serf
Serf

yes, it's no .map file - there are 3 files after saving your map
you put them in map catalog and you should have it in playable maps when starting new game
alternatively you should name the created map "asset_X" when saving
(3 files with automatic extensions made by game's map editor)

if it doesnt work like that - blame differences between Mac and PC

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 19:22 
Serf
Serf

Not working like you describe; but thanks very much for the suggestions.

The map is coming along quite nicely and I'll post it soon.

Da Poch