» Dev. Blog
» About
» Contact Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post subject: Rating system is aggrivating at times
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 14:08 
Serf
Serf

I have noticed that although i may be getting better at the game overall, it is hard to make that show in the rankings.

Here is why,

Scenario:

I start a game with a ranking of 1130. I am quickly dispatched in just a few turns. I start several other games as well and in those i learn, adapt and overcome to be a better player and finish with a win or high in the rankings for several games. This brings my rating up to about 1600. Now that first game that I lost horribly in finally finishes and my rating plummets due to the fact that I now have a decent rating but this game from my past that I performed so horribly in is using my current rating to deduct or add points based on my performance.

My proposed solution if viable...

Is there a way to have a game memorize what your ranking was when you started the game and use that ranking to determine your loss or gain so that a bad game that happened a week ago for you does not mess up the good rankings that you have earned since then?

It may not be possible to do this I was just curious. And if it is possible I think it would be a nice change.

Post subject: Re: Rating system is aggrivating at times
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 17:46 
Knight
Knight

err... bad losses are going to hurt the rating, not sure that the timing of those games ending should be factored into the code?

speaking from experience... don't worry about it. if ur improving in this game it will eventually pan out for u in the rating department :partyyy:

or... u can post the code for ur suggestion. i'm pretty sure that's the only way any changes to the rating system will be discussed :kg:

http://www.cafepress.com/kingslayerdesigns

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 18:26 
Investigator
Investigator

easypickins, that not a bad idea. I know exactly what you're talking about. However, if the rating system did work on a delay factor as proposed. Then ratings wouldn't update quickly which could cause confusion for some players. However, like KingHoward said. If you can provide a good proposal, using code would be helpful, then I'm certain it would seriously be considered. Keep in mind some players may have 50 or more active games going at a time. Keep track of when each one started and ended in respect to the other games could be more work than what it's worth. Still, if there is an easy solution, I think it's worth exploring. Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 23:26 
Game Developer
Game Developer

ELO doesn't work that way. You take the current rating to update.

To factor in an old rating means the need for a new rating equation also...

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 12:48 
Serf
Serf

ok, i was just curious. I didnt propose code because I have no clue how to program...I took one programming class about a year ago and I was completely lost. If i took a look at the code I might be able to do it or try lol but as with most of my attempts at coding it probably would not run.

Also I do not fully understand ELO I know there is an equation that calculates your score based on where you ranked in the game in comparison to your competitors and uses theirs and your current rating to figure out your rating change.

Anyway, if it cant be done then it cant be done. Just thought I would see what your thoughts were on the idea. Thanks

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 13:15 
Knight
Knight

ELO?!? Electric Light Orchestra?!?

< i turn to stone... when u were gone... i turn to stone... >

banana banana banana

http://www.cafepress.com/kingslayerdesigns

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 18:11 
Investigator
Investigator

Huh? ELO... Here's two:

You're sailing softly through the sun in a broken stone age dawn.
You fly so high.

I get a strange magic,

You got me running going out of my mind
You got me thinking me that I'm wasting my time

Don't bring me down

:happyx:

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 04:24 
Knight
Knight

Thanks for bringing back those repressed memories guys. Years of therapy down the drain. :motz: Well at least you didn't mention REO. :crazy: :headbash:

For ratings, I think it's more fair to use your rating when the game ends. Consider this scenario, which is a little different from the "killed off early" one: You start a game with a ranking around 1160. You also have several other games going and are quickly learning the game. In the initial game, you take some hits and are beaten down, but not completely defeated. As your skills grow, you improve your position and by the end of the game. By this time your rating is 1600 because of other finished games. But also because of your improved skill, you finish the first game much better than a typical 1160-rated player would have done. You are no longer an 1160-quality player and thus your rating should be calculated based on your current skill level. More to the point, other players who you defeated or came in ahead of were not beaten by an 1160-quality player, so their ratings should not be dragged down as if they had been defeated by a weaker player than they actually faced.

I don't think it's right to re-work the entire rating system for just one scenario, where a new player is killed of early in a game that ends up dragging on for a long time while other games that were started later have already finished.

Just my two cents. I'm still trying to figure out how the victory % is figured out in V3.

.............Image