» Twitter
» Dev. Blog
» About Us
Showcase
» Age of Conquest
» Demise of Nations
» Retro Commander

Multiplayer Forums

We have moved to /r/NobleMaster on Reddit...

Board index » Games » Age of Conquest (AOC) » AOC: Modding Discussions & Workshop

Post subject: Some Final Mapping Questions
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2006, 18:46 
Peasant
Peasant

Could someone elaborate on how to create sea ports?

Could someone elaborate on how to do water neighbors/seaport usage/whatever you call it?

How do I do border points?

(I had posted these in my map discussion, but i wasn't getting any responses. I am trying to get this all finished so that I can release the map.)

Also, any tips for how to set up provinces to have a variety of economy and population and such?

And Aschi, I have my names of my factions as well as flags, can I have each one of them slightly different?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2006, 09:37 
Game Developer
Game Developer

@moderators - how about some help? I cannot quite see the problem, due to the fact that I programmed it I not so sure on ...

Quote:
I have my names of my factions as well as flags, can I have each one of them slightly different?

Yes? You are talking about the flags?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2006, 19:07 
Peasant
Peasant

yeah for my new factions that I'm making for this map, you said you could add them to the game, right?

also, those other problems that i listed, are more urgent, could anyone answer them>?

Post subject: Re: Some Final Mapping Questions
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2006, 23:24 
Game Developer
Game Developer

ShardZealot wrote:
Could someone elaborate on how to create sea ports?

Could someone elaborate on how to do water neighbors/seaport usage/whatever you call it?

How do I do border points?

Let me give it a shot.

Sea Port: Add/Remove sea ports with the "FW" tab
Connect Sea Ports to Water: Go to "W-FW" tab
Border Points: Got to "B" tab

Basically, select a row in the table first, then, you can left/right click to add/remove sea ports, connect sea ports to water or add/remove border points.

The key is to select a table row first. Can you be more specific with the question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2006, 00:23 
Mercenary
Mercenary

Shard Zealot, your problem might be "updating". Some times it takes time to update the things you do. So, for instance, if you click in a sea province, and then click with the left button on another one, it might not appear a line conecting them, although they already are connected...

Edit: Ill just put here some pictures...i hope that helps :)...just wait sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2006, 01:28 
Mercenary
Mercenary

Ok, here it is:

1. Click in "New", give a name to your map. A new file with the extension ".map" will appear on that folder, after you do this:

2. Then give a name to your map, and click on both "Select". In one you open the .gif file, and in the other the .jpg file. After that, you'll be able to click the "Edit map" button. Do so.

3.Now, with the left button of your mouse, click in the provinces you made. Zeros will appear. On the right, you have the list of the provinces. Change the name of them if you want.

4. Now click on "F-F". If you try to click with your left mouse over the provinces, nothing will happen.

5. What you have to do is to click the "Enter" key on your keyboard. After you do this, a "Sel" will appear over a province. If you click enter again, the "Sel" will appear over another province. This way you know which province you are selecting.

6.Now, with one province selected, click on the "Zeros" of the provinces next to you. Nothing happens, right?

7. Well, actually it does. It just doesnt seem like that. But if you click Enter a few more times, until you choose that province again, you'll see that a red line conecting both provinces as just appeared. So, just click on the other provinces with zeros, and dont mind that nothing seems to happen, because in reality it is happening.

8.Now, go to "FW" and click the "Enter" key again. A province with a yellow "Sel" will appear. Now click on the sea close to your province. Again, nothing seems to happen.

9. But if you click enter and jump to another province, you'll see that a green line as just appeared conecting the land and the place on the sea you clicked some time before.

10. Click on the "W" and add the sea water provinces

11.Click on "W-W", then click enter. A "Sel" will appear over one of the provinces. Again, after you click the other "zero", nothing will happen, but it is happening, it just doesnt show right away.

12.Then click "W-FW", click enter, and conect the sea province you have selected, not with the provinces, but with the borders.

13.Now, click B and click enter. 2 "sel" will appear over 2 provinces, with a green line conecting them. Now, just click on various points on the border of both provinces. After you do this, click enter again, and you'll jump to other border. THe blue lines means that you have already put the border points on those borders, green is the current selected, and red is not yet selected.

Other way is to put all the provinces, and save it. then close and open again. After doing this , you'll be able to select the provinces from the right panel and instead of clicking enter till you reach the one you want, just click on the name of the province on that panel. Like you see on "step 5", i put the provinces, but the right panel is empty. If you save, close, and go back again, you'll be able to select the provinces from there.

EDIT: actually, all the panels are empty. If you save, close, and go back to editing the map, they'll appear with the stuff you need.

Other times you only need to click "save", and the panels will be updated automatically. If not, just close and open again, like i said. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2006, 06:20 
Peasant
Peasant

Ok! Well This is very detailed! You should put this all in the mapping guide!

But, I was moreso wondering, not how, functionally, i put these things on, but moreso, how, mapwise, i should arrange them.

For instance, with sea ports, do you place them in the sea that you want like you have shown? or I thought you put them exactly where you think a seaport would be in the province.

Also, with the water neighbors, I created around 10 different regions of water around my map, and i have the sea ports going to the one closest to them, and then i connected all the water regions. In game what will this do, if a player wants to send troops 2 water regions away, does it take 2 turns or something to reach it?

Then, Border Points. How many border points per border? DOes one border need more than another? Should a bigger country have more border points? and how does border points effect war or trade or what do they do in general?

Also, with the scenario creation, how much should each of those numbers vary? anyone have any tips for how to figure out what values should go to each province?

Thanks so much for the guide! If you put it into the Mapping Guide, it will surely help many people get started!

I was considering, after finishing this map, of starting a FAQ in here, with some detailed answers to questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2006, 08:50 
Game Developer
Game Developer

For instance, with sea ports, do you place them in the sea that you want like you have shown? or I thought you put them exactly where you think a seaport would be in the province.

Where you place the sea port defines where the ship-image in game is shown.

Also, with the water neighbors, I created around 10 different regions of water around my map, and i have the sea ports going to the one closest to them, and then i connected all the water regions. In game what will this do, if a player wants to send troops 2 water regions away, does it take 2 turns or something to reach it?

Usually 2 water regions result in 1 turn, 3 regions in 2.

Then, Border Points. How many border points per border? DOes one border need more than another? Should a bigger country have more border points? and how does border points effect war or trade or what do they do in general?

They are just for looks. Not too many and not too little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2006, 14:44 
Knight
Knight

on the scenario, don't leave it standard, you'll be starting with 700 troops and will need to merc all your peeps just to get anywhere 5k troops and 10k in gold is the norm. A 1 in the ntown makes castles in the respective land, then theres how much populas is in the land, troops in the land, econ and morale rates, you have to add factions before you can select where to place the king, and how many lands a faction holds at the start, the main thing to remeber though is to make sure you increase the amount of troops in the lands given to factions or peeps just won't play the thing